FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that Ford Motor Company is embarrassed of the use of the Zephyr name and will now call it the MKZ. I'm really pleased about this, all I could do when I heard the previous name was remember back to the early 80"s to the Granada, Zephyr and Marqweez fitted with the all mighty 2.3 liter Pinto engine. :klavergreg:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I sat in one at the car show today and was really impressed. I didn't think it was worth the extra money, but it seems there was a lot more attention to detail on it. That said, it was put to shame by comparably priced BMW's, MB, etc. This car should be priced starting at $26k and topping out at $30k. The one there was $36k. Given the sales figures, they are still selling well at that price.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=Flyyakker link=topic=39584.msg575617#msg575617 date=1139589603]
This is just speculation.  Has FMC released something that says they will do this?? 
[/quote]

Sorry to say this is not speculation, It was formally announced at the opening of the Chicago Auto show on Wednesday that the name change will take place for the 2007 model along with the introduction of the Duratec 35 V-6. So if you look at it from a collectors viewpoint, all those with Zephyr's may actually have a special model with only one year of production.
For further details check the Ford Web site for recent news.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dumb move. Unless you have only a handful of models, no one will be able to keep them all straight. When BMW had only the 3, 5, and 7, and MB only the C, E, and S, it was a fine system. But toss in a half dozen more models, and most people will have trouble keeping them straight.

With Lincoln, we'll have MKZ, MKS, MKX so far. The latter two sound way too much alike. It's the Freestyle vs. Freestar situation once again, just even worse.

Just proves that the auto industry is run by lemmings.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Caddy has the CTS, STS, XLR, DTS, SRX
MB has the C, E, S, R, M, G
BMW has the 1, 3, 5, 7, Z, X
Lincoln will have the MKS, MKX, MKZ... I don't see any more confusion th ere than with the others. And as my father always says: "why can't car companies just use letters or numbers, not all these words that some people like and some people don't... everybody likes a simple model #"

[quote author=mkaresh link=topic=39584.msg615206#msg615206 date=1142197669]
Dumb move. Unless you have only a handful of models, no one will be able to keep them all straight. When BMW had only the 3, 5, and 7, and MB only the C, E, and S, it was a fine system. But toss in a half dozen more models, and most people will have trouble keeping them straight.

With Lincoln, we'll have MKZ, MKS, MKX so far. The latter two sound way too much alike. It's the Freestyle vs. Freestar situation once again, just even worse.

Just proves that the auto industry is run by lemmings.
[/quote]

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think it's a mistake, also. Keep the Zephyr as is with affordability and if they want to come out with a MK Whatever, then build a different car. :?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, I like the name Zephyr and am glad that I bought one. Now knowing that they will discontinue the name and since Lincoln has had low sales numbers for the Zephyr in comparison this means that the Zephyr should become somewhat a collector item over time. Let about 80% of them be wrecked, smashed, stolen, crushed or junked over the next 20 years and those that have remained will be truly limited numbers similar to that of the SVT Cobras.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Does this mean you plan on keeping your Zephyr for 20 years? 

I for one, like the name Zephyr. It sounds better than MKZ. If it is indeed to be pronounced "Mark Z" then why didn't they just call it that? What an odd thing for Lincoln to do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have every intention of keeping this car long term. Especially if the name is going to be changed to MKZ.

I agree that if it is going to be called Mark Z then just badge it as such. I may be mistaken but didn't the older mark vehicles actually have the name Mark in thier emblems? Like the MK VII, didn't that badging actually spell out the name like this "Mark VII"?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Showtime,

Real world pricing does start very near your recommended $26k. KBB New Car Blue Book Value is $28,471. Add incentives and low cost financing and it's $27K. :D

Now does BMW and problem prone M-B offer a comparable car in that price range?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.