FordFusionClub.com banner

Window tint #'s

10K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  Dre1015 
#1 ·
I am wondering about the numbers I see included in the window tint descriptions. I want to be able to understand what the guy is talking about when I get to the shop. I want the tint as dark as I can go without trouble from " the Man". Any advice would be helfull at this time, Thanks.

G
#2 ·
It depends on what state you live in.

Since you live in N.Y., all of your side windows can be 70% tint. The rear windshield can be Any darkness of tint.

As for the front windshield, the top 6 inches can be tinted with non-reflected tint.

And if you think cops don't look for cars that windows are to dark by tint, think again!

#3 ·
I'm having mine done today and from the other cars I;ve seen like this it looks great. Went to the legal limit-35 front windows 20 on back windows and 35 on rear. also had the visor/windshield done. should look great on my oxford white/black interior fusion :) I'll post pics later

#5 ·
just a side note the windows already come from the factory with a slight tint. So lets say your State NY allows 30% the car from the factory lets say is 3% once you add that together it only allows 27% of the light in. If the Police use a meter on the tint it will show up as to dark.

#7 ·
I have 35% on my front sides and 20% on back sides and back windshield on my contour and damn its dark at night. But you feel good driving it though. Don't feel like everyone is lookin at you. Can't wait to get the fusion tinted. Gotta think of something to handle those dots though.

#8 ·
I went 35% all the way around on my Milan. I did not want to go too dark since I still wanted to be able to see backing up at night when it rains.

It also helps to make it appear darker since I have a dark interior.

#10 ·
I went legal limit for my state. 20% front (with visor on windshield) and 35% rear. or maybe its the other way round. Back windows are darker haha.

#11 ·
[quote author=Milan-Itude link=topic=64522.msg1173113#msg1173113 date=1170011954]
Ordering my Milan next month, and tinting is the first mod. I've been looking on line for tinting, and found some pre-cut kits. Anyone have any feedback?

cheers!
[/quote]

I don't have any experience with the pre-cut tint. I would fear that the pre-cut could be measured incorrectly. :shock: Therefore, I would suggest going to a shop and having it done professionally. Save yourself the hassle and pay the extra $$. :cheers:

#12 ·
[quote author=Dre1015 link=topic=64522.msg1174638#msg1174638 date=1170094189]
[quote author=Milan-Itude link=topic=64522.msg1173113#msg1173113 date=1170011954]
Ordering my Milan next month, and tinting is the first mod. I've been looking on line for tinting, and found some pre-cut kits. Anyone have any feedback?

cheers!
[/quote]

I don' thave any experience with the pre-cut tint. I would fear that the pre-cut could measured incorrectly. :shock: Therefore, I would suggest going to a shop and having it done professionally. Save yourself the hassle and pay the extra $$. :cheers:
[/quote]

x2!

Since I was asked via PM for pics I figured that I would share them here too.

Front and rear windows are 35%.

#13 ·
I had window tint on a previous car and had to remove it. That is a bitch and a half. So there will be no more tint on any of my cars.

#14 ·
I have provided pics in the past of my Dark Blue Pearl Fusion with 15% on all windows. All but the windshield, of course.

#16 ·
[quote author=Dre1015 link=topic=64522.msg1112800#msg1112800 date=1166557361]
I say go with 20% all around. Light enough to see through in daylight, but pitch black at night. That's all I put on my cars.
[/quote]

I agree[quote author=Dre1015 link=topic=64522.msg1112800#msg1112800 date=1166557361]
I say go with 20% all around. Light enough to see through in daylight, but pitch black at night. That's all I put on my cars.
[/quote]

I went the same route as Dre, 20% all around...the tint shop owner says it looks classier when you use the same % all the way around and I sort of agree.

20% is dark but not dark so that you cant see sh$# at night.....keeps the cops off my back (my huge brother being one of them lol)

If i do see a 5-0 I just slide open my sunshield for the moonroof to let some light in and copper rides by with no issues so far.

#18 ·
[quote author=kivfusion link=topic=64522.msg1205505#msg1205505 date=1171409339]
If i do see a 5-0 I just slide open my sunshield for the moonroof to let some light in and copper rides by with no issues so far.
[/quote]

Never thought of that....You might be on to something. But then again, I doubt this will work very well on black interior. :dunno: It won't hurt to try.

#19 ·
[quote author=Dre1015 link=topic=64522.msg1206258#msg1206258 date=1171425920]
[quote author=kivfusion link=topic=64522.msg1205505#msg1205505 date=1171409339]
[/quote]

Never thought of that....You might be on to something. But then again, I doubt this will work very well on black interior. :dunno: It won't hurt to try.
[/quote]

Dre,
Yep, it helps lighten the interior up a tad at night making my illegal tinted 20% windows appear not so illegal lol.

if your in city traffic
It definitely works with the light tan leather interior, if I shut the sunroom panel at night its dark but slide it open and it lightens the inside up enough so the 5-0 can at least see i'm not pointing a Hk at him
Kiv :D

#20 ·
I installed the lightest tint (35%) because I don't think dark tint looks good on a light colored car like my silver Fusion. I also intend on the inside to look bad ass with several touch ups, two including a wood grain trim kit and a fancy head unit, so I want it to be seen with my windows are up. I don't have to worry about it being broken into because I stay in the country, so anyone knows that we country folk have guns and aren't afraid to use them at all. Also, when night time comes, I am at home instead of out and about. I haven't done the back window yet because I am trying to come up with something different, like cutting the tint into a graphic. I was thinking about cutting out "FUSION". Does that sound like a good idea?

#23 ·
You will have to remove the brake light to make it easier. Also, to avoid any of the carpet fibers from sticking to your tint, you will have to remove the rear carpet of the rear window also. It is pretty easy to remove. It will also give you more room to get your hand to the bottom edges to squeegy out the water. I started mine, but I just wanted to try something new with the rear tint, so I ripped it out. I haven't came up with an idea yet. But I may just leave the rear window like it is. For some reason I like the look of no tint in the rear. Also, that rear window is a bitch to tint! It's hard, for me at least, to make it look professional.

#26 ·
OK no-one really answered the first question that started this thread. My family has owned a window tinting shop here in Arizona for 20 years so here is the explanation on the numbers for tint. The higher the number the lighter the tint, the lower the number the darker the tint. For example a 5% film allows 5% of the light to penetrate and a 35% allows 35% of the light to penetrate. The more important thing to look for is what the film is made out of. You do not want a polyester film those are the ones you see that look purple. I would stick with either a metalized or ceramic film. Most of the time if it is good film and a good installer they will warranty it for as long as you own the vehicle against bubbling, peeling or demetalization. We use a LLumar film which is one of the best in the business. And as for the "matrix" in the back window if its done right after a few days giving time for the window to dry out it can be pressed down. Although you still see it because they are raised areas on the windows they do not look bad once the film is dried and pressed down. It looks much better than having them paint over or vinyl over them. Here is a picture of my car. I have 5% on all side windows back, and windshield strip, plus 45% on the rest of the front windshield. Makes for a dark looking car, but I like it to be nice and dark. Here is a great site for some answers at the bottem there is a link for State laws. http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/auto.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.