FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been on in a while, and I apologize if this gets asked all the time.

I have a 2007 SEL AWD with a bent rim, and I do not want to pay fords $375 for one rim. I know that my whells are 7.5 inches wide and 17 inches in diameter, and they are not the same as the non-AWD wheels.

So will 7.5 inch rims off a Ford edge fit my car? I see them on Ebay sometimes, right now in fact, and am curious as to the fit. Will it be a direct bold on?

Thanks for your opinions and advice.

·
Registered
840 Posts
yeah, they fit.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The Edge has a larger center bore, so they won't fit as tightly as Fusion wheels, though the only real consequence of that is possible vibrations. If you're going to get an entire new set though, why not just get some base 17x7 Fusion/Milan wheels. I would never recommend mixing 17x7 and 17x7.5 on the same car, but a full set of 17x7 should be fine. You could also look for Zephyr/MKZ wheels, those are all 17x7.5 and have the same centerbore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

I am just looking for the cheapest way to fix this. Right now I get a lot of vibration at 65MPH and above. It is my rear drivers side wheel.

Can I get 17x7 wheels for the AWD? Or does it need to be 7.5? I don't want to get new tires, so maybe I can find a complete set up on Ebay.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

If anyone has a spare AWD rim I will take it! :D

·
Registered
619 Posts
[quote author=myothercarisa72buick link=topic=93220.msg1819713#msg1819713 date=1193761570]
Can I get 17x7 wheels for the AWD? Or does it need to be 7.5? I don't want to get new tires, so maybe I can find a complete set up on Ebay.
[/quote]

Ford obviously spent some money because they figure you need a 7.5 on the AWD, but the 7 will certainly fit and you can use the same tires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

So if I find a set of 7 inch wheels then I should be good to go? I can mount the same tires on those rims and all should be fine?

I appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
[quote author=myothercarisa72buick link=topic=93220.msg1821891#msg1821891 date=1193840159]
Thanks.

So if I find a set of 7 inch wheels then I should be good to go? I can mount the same tires on those rims and all should be fine?

I appreciate your help.
[/quote]

Hi "myothercar". :wavey: I am the type that normally likes to err on the side of caution.

Automakers normally like to standardize their parts as much as possible, since it brings down costs. So, as "Waldo" stated "Ford obviously spent some money because they figure you need a 7.5 on the AWD, but the 7 will certainly fit and you can use the same tires."

In other words, yes the 7" wheels will fit, and yes you can mount the same tires you have, but it might not be a good idea to change the wheel size, since Ford put 7.5" wheels on for some reason.

I am thinking (but am not sure) that there may be a very good reason why the AWD version of the Fusion/Milan/MKZ has a 7.5" wheel, instead of the 7'.

I would check with a good, expert wheel/tire source, before purchasing something you can't get a refund on. Maybe Discount Tire, or The Tire Rack. Maybe you can PM Jaysen, as I think he works at Discount Tire and certainly knows wheels/tires.

Just don't rush into it. Try and verify if it is safe to make that change.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the advice bbf.

I want to do this right, I just don't want to rop 375 on a rim. Does anyone think I have a balance issue since I get so much vibration over 65mph? I do't think it was that bad before they mounted the new tire. Some history: I hit a crazy pot hole and bent my rim and got a bulge in my tire. I replaced the tire, and when Ford was putting a new one on they told me the rim was bent.

Part of me thinks they left the tire out of balance so they could trick me into buying a new rim (they did leave the tire pressure low and warned me that the tire might lose pressure due to the rim, I checked it when I got home and it was 5psi lower than the rest, filled it up and no issues), they were mad I bought the tire through tire rack at over $100 in savings. Anyway thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
[quote author=Waldo link=topic=93220.msg1819396#msg1819396 date=1193753059]
The Edge has a larger center bore, so they won't fit as tightly as Fusion wheels, though the only real consequence of that is possible vibrations. If you're going to get an entire new set though, why not just get some base 17x7 Fusion/Milan wheels. I would never recommend mixing 17x7 and 17x7.5 on the same car, but a full set of 17x7 should be fine. You could also look for Zephyr/MKZ wheels, those are all 17x7.5 and have the same centerbore.
[/quote]

what does this mean? the edge wheels are the same as the fusion wheels, same lug pattern and offset I believe. what's the "center bore" have to do with anything? it's the lugs that hold the wheel on. how could a wheel vibrate if it's lugs are tight and it fits the wheel studs like oem wheels? I'm confused.............

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
The center bore (on the wheel) must fit over the wheel hub. MOST wheels are Hub centric, other than most Toyota, Lexus, and a few others. They require Shank lugs, and are lug centric. Having a wheel poperly mounted to the car has alot to do with vibrations. When you torque a wheel without it being centered on the hub it will push the wheel around (A very small amount) until the last one is tightened down. More often than not it will cause a vibration problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts