FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a little research on here about offests, etc.  I think the OEM wheels are around 44mm offset.  I want to get some nice 18" wheels and the ones that I really like are 18"x8" with 38mm offset.  I know 6mm isn't much, but I know on some cars like the Focus I traded off are very sensitive when it comes to offset.  On the Focus, you had to be careful in the rear with anything under about 42mm because they'd rub in the rear if the car was lowered.  Eventually, I will have either Eibach or H&R springs on this car so it will be lowered with these 18" wheels if that makes a difference.

I don't want to run into any trouble with rubbing with this Fusion, and I don't want too little offset and end up with that nasty euro-look that many of the VW guys are fond of.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=Dirk Squarejaw link=topic=89565.msg1726727#msg1726727 date=1190294946]
I've done a little research on here about offests, etc. I think the OEM wheels are around 44mm offset. I want to get some nice 18" wheels and the ones that I really like are 18"x8" with 38mm offset. I know 6mm isn't much, but I know on some cars like the Focus I traded off are very sensitive when it comes to offset. On the Focus, you had to be careful in the rear with anything under about 42mm because they'd rub in the rear if the car was lowered. Eventually, I will have either Eibach or H&R springs on this car so it will be lowered with these 18" wheels if that makes a difference.

I don't want to run into any trouble with rubbing with this Fusion, and I don't want too little offset and end up with that nasty euro-look that many of the VW guys are fond of.
[/quote]

Hi Dirk. :wavey: Not exactly sure as to how much room there is to play with on the Fusion. However, I can tell you that there is more to worry about with a wheel size change than just a different offset (in this case a -6mm change in the offset). You also need to figure in the extra width of the new wheel (in this case, +1 inch in width on the 8 inch wheel).

Using the wheel offset calculator at this site, www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp, your new wheels would have 7 mm less inner clearance (inside of wheel to strut housing), and the wheel will also stick out an extra 19 mm on the outside edge of the wheel.

Sorry I do not know the exact tolerances as to how much room there is to play with on the stock wheels, but these would be the changes in clearance with that particular wheel.

Good luck! :cheers:

PS - My guess is that they would fit. But it is just an educated guess, and I would wait for more expert advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts