FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cancelled my order for my Axis wheels because they were backordered till Late april. :x

So i can either stick with the stockers and do suspension mods or buy some nice chrome 18's.

Discount tire says we can run 235/50-17's but i'm wondering if we can do 235/45-17's without any problem's. Nitto 555's are only 107 each in that size.

·
Registered
261 Posts
235 will only raise the height of you sidewall, to go wider you would need,
55's or 60's or so instead of 50's, and I don't know where that came but
235's will give you less clearance as will any bigger rims.

I know everyone now for some reason likes big ass rims, but in reality go out
get 20's and drive the car like you would everyday, hit those potholes at speeds
without slowing to a crawl, Iave seen so many people have to slow down so
much just to cross a railroad track, while I with stock tires glide over them at speed.
and with lowered cars having to slow down over the tiniest bumps in the road, God
forbid go over a speed bump at 5 - 10MPH, I have even seen them bottom out going into
a low parking lot.

I mean I am not putting down anyone for customizing their car at all, I just ask why with
the big ass wheels? I mean I know some cars look better with bigger wheels, and some just look
plain stupid. like musclecars with 20's not looking good there at all, 17's maybe, considering that
most came with 14's back in the day, but raising a car just to put bigger tires looks dumb, and
I have seen that too. if you can lower a car a few inches, and tuck some wheels under it that
don't rub, but fill the fenderwells, now that looks great.

but back to the point, the width number is the (50), height / aspect ratio is (235),
and I would imagine that 55 would be your widest on stock 17" rims, if that even works.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=shadowfall1976 link=topic=43351.msg642189#msg642189 date=1143811633]
235 will only raise the height of you sidewall, to go wider you would need,
55's or 60's or so instead of 50's, and I don't know where that came but
235's will give you less clearance as will any bigger rims.
[/quote]

WTF are you smoking?

I was going to type it out but just look below.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided to pass on the 235's because i fear they will not fit. Instead i'll just be running 225/40ZR17's.

·
Registered
261 Posts
look, I do have an idea what I am talking about,
I have worked on cars and with them for the last 15 years

I miswrote what I meant, it is backwards, from what I said,
235 is lower than 225. so 18's and 235 should fit fine.
but how I said it was still right.

and it is what the FU*K are you smokin'? not "WTF"
if you're going to ask at least type it out.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Well, you're both right. A 235 tire will "raise" the sidewall. However, going from 225/50 to 235/45 results in a lower sidewall (and smaller overall diameter) overall. A 235/50 would have a bigger sidewall than a 225/50, but a 235/45 does not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got 255/35R20 on ym Fusion and they dont rub :) Also my rims are just 20X8.5 :) Same as the other 2 at my dealer ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just to clear up how tires are measured it break down like this tire size 245/50/15 for example would mean that the tire is 245mm wide (tread portion) and the sidewall height is 50% of the width which would be 122.5mm in sidewall height and hopefully everyon understands that the 15 means it would fit a 15" rim. Tire Rack has a better breakout of how tires sizes are written and translated if you want to know more.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
[quote author=Donald T link=topic=43351.msg675384#msg675384 date=1145654916]
I just put 245/45/17's on mine and see no problems at this time.
[/quote]

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. A tire that wide is going to force the sidewall to bend in, because the wheel just literally is not wide enough (assuming you're still running stockers). This generally does not lead to better traction or a stronger sidewall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.