FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out looking at the Milan's today and I noticed that a Milan with the exact same options as a Fusion is $1,700 more. Other than some styling differences that shouldn't raise the price, I didn't see anything that would explain that premium price. Why do they price the Milan higher?

·
Registered
817 Posts
A very good question. I don't have a satisfactory answer other than Mercurys have always cost more than Fords, model for model, just as Lincolns have always cost more than Mercurys.

·
Super Moderator
6,017 Posts
Hi guys! The reason for the price difference is the Milan comes with some additional standard equipment, which is optional on the Fusion. Off-hand, I do not remember the specifics, but if you compare line item to line item, you will see the differences. Also remember, you have to compare similar models. You can't compare a base Milan to a Fusion SEL (apples to apples)

Edit - Just took a quick look at their respective websites, looking for differences. For example, the upper 3 Milan models come standard with leather seating, which is optional on the Fusion in all models.
Traction Control standard on all V-6 Milans, but is only an option on the Fusion V-6.
Anti lock brakes are standard on all Milan models, but is only an option on all Fusion models.
17" wheels are standard on most Milan models, but are optional on most Fusion models (only standard on SEL).
Chrome tipped dual exhaust standard on all V-6 Milan models. Not available on any Fusion model other than the SEL (standard).
These are just a few of the differences I could find in a minute or two of looking. I am sure there are more.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That is the key, standard equipment. Mercury's are considered to be more luxurious that Fords and cheaper than Lincoln's, although I think the Fusions front clip is better looking. I think what would look really cool is a Zephyre with a Fusion front clip!

·
Registered
382 Posts
to me the Fusion is more sporty looking and driving. The Milan looks more conservative and more geared toward the older generation. Some like being able to choose options like abs and traction control. Also, I believe the spring rates in Fusion are firmer than Milan models. Plus, you can only get chrome exhaust tips on an SEL, they aren't available on any SE. The Milan has interior touches that set it apart from Fusion, but in the end, they're both the same exact car. I personally like the styling of the Fusion better so that's what I bought.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Milan has more standard features than the Fusion. Metal accents around the gauges and such. Also they have a nicer wood accent that I wish was available in the Fusion. The gauges are also back lit with a cool blue light as opposed to the Ford green. I wish I were able to get a Fusion with the interior of a Milan. I don't understand why Ford holds off nicer materials and options for the Ford just to make the Mercury version look better. Fords would seem a lot nicer if they would use the same interior touches as the Mercury. The same goes for the HID lights that are standard on the Montego and not even available on the Five Hundred. These higher class options should be standard fare for the SEL. A Fusion with nicer gauges (Blue back lit with metal rings instead of plastic) and nicer wood appliqués and a Five Hundred with HID lights and nicer gauges inside as well. Other auto companies save certain premium options for their higher priced vehicle editions. Honda does this with the EX. Those models get nicer gauges and wood trimming where other editions don't.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
817 Posts
MustangPTM,
If the Fords had all of the features of a Mercury there would be no need for the Mercury brand, it would be a Ford. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
[quote author=urnews link=topic=67448.msg1162688#msg1162688 date=1169496007]
MustangPTM,
If the Fords had all of the features of a Mercury there would be no need for the Mercury brand, it would be a Ford. :)
[/quote]

[glow=red,2,300]...and that time is coming. Just not sure when.[/glow]

With the NAIAS just passing, there was some talk around here that one of Ford's main problems is they have too many platforms. (Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Jaguar, Volvo, Landrover, Aston Martin, Mazda)
...and with that their resources (r/d) is divided thinly amongst them. Many say that if Ford, (GM, Chrysler too) are to emerge from their current funk, one thing that they'll need to do is claw back on the many platforms and specialize on a couple.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Lammer,
What you wrote makes a lot of sense. There have been some press reports that Ford is moving in the direction of fewer platforms. It will have to if it wants to remain competitive. I, for one, would not be at all surprised to see the Mercury brand disappear within a few years, just as GM did away with Oldsmobile and Chrysler did away with Plymouth.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I agree. Ford paid something like $6B for Jag- and it's lost major $$ ever since. They need to phase out Mercury and sale Aston Martin (while someone will still pay big $$ for it). They'd better pray the new Jag models they are showing off sell like hotcakes. The new XK coupe is beautiful and the CX-F concept is the prettiest Jag in decades. It sounds like Ford is serious about cars again- after relying on trucks/SUVs for the last 10+ years.

·
Registered
817 Posts
It's a fact that Fusion and Milan (and the MKZ) share the same platform (a widened and lengthened Mazda frame) but what platform does the Five Hundred use and where did the name "Five Hundred" come from?

I surmise from previous posts here that the price difference between the Fusion and Milan is the difference in standard equipment versus optional equipment. I always considered the Mercury and Lincolns to be "a step up" from the Fords, that you bought a Ford if you couldn't afford a Mercury or Lincoln.

In today's marketplace, that is "old school" thinking I believe. The distinction has become more blurred as has the price lines.

·
Super Moderator
6,017 Posts
[quote author=urnews link=topic=67448.msg1163018#msg1163018 date=1169506124]
It's a fact that Fusion and Milan (and the MKZ) share the same platform (a widened and lengthened Mazda frame) but what platform does the Five Hundred use and where did the name "Five Hundred" come from?

I surmise from previous posts here that the price difference between the Fusion and Milan is the difference in standard equipment versus optional equipment. I always considered the Mercury and Lincolns to be "a step up" from the Fords, that you bought a Ford if you couldn't afford a Mercury or Lincoln.

In today's marketplace, that is "old school" thinking I believe. The distinction has become more blurred as has the price lines.
[/quote]

Hi Boz. The Five Hundred is adapted off of the Volvo S-80 platform.
As to the Five Hundred name, here is a very brief history (if anyone would like to go into more detail, more power to you! :D). The name Five Hundred is an old one at Ford. Think of it as an allusion to NASCAR auto racing (Daytona 500, Talladega 500, etc) In the 60's there was the Ford Fairlane, and then the Fairlane 500 was introduced as a higher end Fairlane. Then that car sort of morphed into the Galaxie and the Galaxie 500, the Galaxie 500 being the higher end model. Then there was the Ford LTD (in my opinion, what the Five Hundred should have been named) which became an even higher end model to the Galaxie 500, then morphed into a separate model.. There were also some other 500 models, but you get the idea.
Also, just like now, the Mercury models (Marquis, etc.) were based off the same platforms, as now, with differing front and rear ends and interior trim.
Hope this info was helpful Boz.

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=67448.msg1163063#msg1163063 date=1169507252]

[/quote]

Hi Boz. The Five Hundred is adapted off of the Volvo S-80 platform.
As to the Five Hundred name, here is a very brief history (if anyone would like to go into more detail, more power to you! :D). The name Five Hundred is an old one at Ford. In the 60's there was the Ford Fairlane, and then the Fairlane 500 was introduced as a higher end Fairlane. Then that car sort of morphed into the Galaxie and the Galaxie 500, the Galaxie 500 being the higher end model. Then there was the Ford LTD (in my opinion, what the Five Hundred should have been named) which became an even higher end model to the Galaxie 500. Also, just like now, the Mercury models (Marquis, etc.) were based off the same platforms, as now, with differing front and rear ends and interior trim.
Hope this info was helpful Boz.
[/quote]
BBF,
Very helpful indeed. It put things in a proper perspective. I also found a photo of the 2008 on the Internet at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Five_Hundred. The 2008 Five Hundred is getting a Fusion grill for '08 and the 3.5-liter V6. According to the Wikipedia article, the Five Hundred has not been much of a sales success for FoMoCo. I still think Ford waited too long to get off of the SUV and pickup truck bandwagon.

·
Registered
198 Posts
[quote author=iowaguy link=topic=67448.msg1162229#msg1162229 date=1169478495]
Also, I believe the spring rates in Fusion are firmer than Milan models. [/quote]

I think they have the same spring rates. My Milan handles the same as my ex's Fusion, if not better. I have 17" tires and she had the 16". The car handles corners willingly at speed and hunkers down nicely on the highway at extreme (3 digit) speeds.

I bought a Milan for the added features. When I compared similarly optioned vehicles, the Milan was actually a couple hundred dollars less than a comparable fusion. Plus, we get cool LED taillights and no godawfulugly clear tail lenses.

·
Registered
261 Posts
HMMM. and I remember someone telling me during the summer
that the Milan did not cost more?????,
I did the pricing and I knew that it was.

guess he was wrong, and some other people see it too.

and to Me I don't like the Milan, there is nothing wrong with
buying a Ford vs Merc or Linc, I mean come on HELLO,
FORD MAKES THEM ALL!!!! besides if the only difference is
the quality of the Leather in the Seats and you may get a ooo
V8 in the Linc, all three cars are virtually the same, and what
you may get a few options you never use in the higher line.
I don't like Leather seats anyway, so it don't bother me.

FORD = Younger sporty drivers
MERC = More mature people
LINC = Too much wasted money

·
Registered
198 Posts
For the sake of argument I priced the Fusion and Milan online optioned like my car is. Here's the breakdown. Main difference ABS and leather. The Milan is still slightly less $. I never used to think I liked leather, but when it was the only option on my Contour SVT, I grew to love them and vowed I would never go back to cloth. The heated leather is pure heaven on those cold New England mornings.

Fusion V6 SEL FWD
$22,035 base
$700 delivery
$895 leather
$295 htd seats
$595 ABS
$795 moonroof
-----
$25,315 total

Milan Premier V6 FWD
$23,375 base
$700 delivery
$0 leather included
$295 htd seats
$0 ABS included
$795 moonroof
-----
$25,165 total

·
Registered
910 Posts
Price difference or not I'd take the fusion-looks more sporty, more manly and aggressive. I see the milan as a womans car, or an older persons car. A small premium of a few grand seems fine since it is supposed to be a step up but I wouldn't pay it

·
Registered
421 Posts
[quote author=lammer link=topic=67448.msg1162835#msg1162835 date=1169500691]
[quote author=urnews link=topic=67448.msg1162688#msg1162688 date=1169496007]
MustangPTM,
[/quote]

[glow=red,2,300]...and that time is coming. Just not sure when.[/glow]

With the NAIAS just passing, there was some talk around here that one of Ford's main problems is they have too many platforms. (Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Jaguar, Volvo, Landrover, Aston Martin, Mazda)
...and with that their resources (r/d) is divided thinly amongst them. Many say that if Ford, (GM, Chrysler too) are to emerge from their current funk, one thing that they'll need to do is claw back on the many platforms and specialize on a couple.
[/quote]what your saying is true for G.M. Ford has three major brands that are considered American. The rest are niche products there not even in the same class. you can't compare a Jaguar, or an Ashton Marton to a Ford. Ford, Licoln, Mercury will remain. What I think your missing is that Ford has the best selling car in Europe. Their also doing well in Astailia. It seems the only place that it is not popular to be American is America!

·
Registered
421 Posts
[quote author=ming321 link=topic=67448.msg1162898#msg1162898 date=1169502777]
I agree. Ford paid something like $6B for Jag- and it's lost major $$ ever since. They need to phase out Mercury and sale Aston Martin (while someone will still pay big $$ for it). They'd better pray the new Jag models they are showing off sell like hotcakes. The new XK coupe is beautiful and the CX-F concept is the prettiest Jag in decades. It sounds like Ford is serious about cars again- after relying on trucks/SUVs for the last 10+ years.
[/quote]That was their whole problem. First they where airogent and would not compete. They found ways to maximize profits through the business solution, while ignoring their product design. Then a massive amount of marketshare loss to foriegn compettitors caused them to take action. there is no doubt in my mind that they will recover. There is no doubht in my mind that they will be a smaller company. And most importantly there is no doubt in my mind that if they fall asleep at the wheel again that it will be the end of Ford!

·
Registered
421 Posts
[quote author=shadowfall1976 link=topic=67448.msg1166074#msg1166074 date=1169615677]

FORD = Younger sporty drivers
MERC = More mature people
LINC = Too much wasted money

[/quote]Hmm and who's penis is larger? That's why I don't own a expensive house. As long as it suits my needs I'm good. I'm not competeing with my neighbor. I would like to own what I buy, rather than subscibing to the idea you always have to have a payment! There's too much wasted money with that mindset.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts