FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"This oil leak is common to the Taurus/Sable, Fusion/Milan, Jaguar S, Lincoln LS, and Mazda 6 models with the 3.0 Duratec V6 along with the Escape/MPV. As a mechanic I can't see doing what is involved to remove the timing chain cover on these vehicles as it would cost a good portion of what many of these now older cars that have the leak are worth. They sealed small areas of the timing cover where castings mate called "T" joints with RTV sealant when the engines were made, and used a multi-piece gasket. The gaskets tend to shrink and the RTV deteriorates with heat/cooling cycles over the years and small oil leaks develop. They run down the engine on to the bottom front of the oil pan and drip on to the hot exhaust pipes below it. Leaks can also develop between the upper section of the block and the lower bearing section, which was sealed with a film of RTV only at manufacture. I have found that changing the oil with 5 quarts of high mileage oil and adding 1 quart of Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak dramatically reduces the amount of oil leakage on these engines. The caveat is you have to do this for every oil change, but it's still no comparison in cost to having the gaskets replaced, which can cost anywhere from $1500-2000 today."

This is what mine is doing exactly as well! Go on and add the I4 2.3L to this theory as well. Piece of crap!

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This car is leaking from every square inch of where this mechanic is saying. I think Ford should give a mandatory rebate to every owner of these cars to compensate for their stupid ways of sealing the things! Even if it were to make them go bankrupt. [email protected] a car when being put together shouldn't be tolerated...or legal!

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"High mileage oil" in MY car that only 72,000 miles on it??? This is pitiful. I don't think it's the mileage that is making the leaks persist in our vehicles. I think this sealant just has an expiration date! They might as well have used bubble gum instead!

· Registered
582 Posts
My 06 3.0 has a few leaks also it has 110k on it . Changing out the oil sensor on my car (my oil pressure light was coming on) stopped the leak that was hitting the exhausts , much more pleasant to drive it now.

· Registered
795 Posts
My '06's 2.3 I-4 has 119,00 miles and doesn't leak or use oil. I do my own maintenance and am surprised at how clean/dry the oil pan is, not even a film of oil.

· Registered
229 Posts
Go on and add the I4 2.3L to this theory as well. Piece of crap!
Don't know why you include the 2.3 4 in this??

I looked at quite a few Fusions before I bought this 2006 2.3 SE and they all were dry as a bone as far as oil leaks.
The engines wern't real clean either like they were detailed to hide a oil leak for the sale, and they all had over 100,000 miles on them.

When doing research I've read that the first gen Mazda 6's with the V6 were prone to oil leaks but not the 4......I believe it's the same story with the Fusion.

· Registered
229 Posts
One more question.

Since you're a mechanic, don't you see a lot of other high mileage cars with oil leaks from old gaskets??
Why is the Fusion any different than any other over 100,000 oe 200,000 mile car?

What I mean is, it's common for gaskets to fail with age is it not??

· Registered
20 Posts
The Duratec 3.0 in my Mazda 6 has 174,000mi and it does leak from the timing cover. I use about 1.5 qts every 3,000mi. My Toyota 7A-FE (1.8L) was totally dry all the way to 300,000mi when I sold it running.
If you don't like sucking down burnt oil through your vent then might I suggest a fix similar to the one pictured

· Registered
5 Posts
My 06 3.0 has a few leaks also it has 110k on it . Changing out the oil sensor on my car (my oil pressure light was coming on) stopped the leak that was hitting the exhausts , much more pleasant to drive it now.
Yes, that's it!

Hope this helps someone in the future: CHECK OIL PRESSURE SWITCH! That's what was leaking on our 2009 Fusion 3.0L. Near the oil filter.

Autozone $19.99 lifetime warranty, Duralast Oil Pressure Switch PS637

· Registered
0 Posts
This car is leaking from every square inch of where this mechanic is saying. I think Ford should give a mandatory rebate to every owner of these cars to compensate for their stupid ways of sealing the things! Even if it were to make them go bankrupt. [email protected] a car when being put together shouldn't be tolerated...or legal!
I agree. I just spent $ 2500 to have the dam engine removed to fix oil leaks. It just started leaking again after 110 miles. Total mile is 54,000 I never expected such a poorly built engine from Ford. NO MORE FORDS FOR ME!

· Administrator
6,178 Posts
I agree. I just spent $ 2500 to have the dam engine removed to fix oil leaks. It just started leaking again after 110 miles. Total mile is 54,000 I never expected such a poorly built engine from Ford. NO MORE FORDS FOR ME!
Hi aaffeld. You do not mention what model year your Fusion is? However, if it is the case that you had a shop remove the engine to fix oil leaks only 110 miles ago, then you should immediately take your Fusion back to the shop that did the work, and have them fix it properly this time.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

· Registered
09 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
39 Posts
"This oil leak is common to the Taurus/Sable, Fusion/Milan, Jaguar S, Lincoln LS, and Mazda 6 models with the 3.0 Duratec V6 along with the Escape/MPV. As a mechanic I can't see doing what is involved to remove the timing chain cover on these vehicles as it would cost a good portion of what many of these now older cars that have the leak are worth. They sealed small areas of the timing cover where castings mate called "T" joints with RTV sealant when the engines were made, and used a multi-piece gasket. The gaskets tend to shrink and the RTV deteriorates with heat/cooling cycles over the years and small oil leaks develop. They run down the engine on to the bottom front of the oil pan and drip on to the hot exhaust pipes below it. Leaks can also develop between the upper section of the block and the lower bearing section, which was sealed with a film of RTV only at manufacture. I have found that changing the oil with 5 quarts of high mileage oil and adding 1 quart of Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak dramatically reduces the amount of oil leakage on these engines. The caveat is you have to do this for every oil change, but it's still no comparison in cost to having the gaskets replaced, which can cost anywhere from $1500-2000 today."

This is what mine is doing exactly as well! Go on and add the I4 2.3L to this theory as well. Piece of crap!

:rolleyes::sneaky: Have you ever even seen an older Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan?? I tell ya, those things were built with oil leaks included as part of the design!! :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
2 Posts
I have the 2014 Fusion se 1.5 turbo and I ve replaced all major components including engine,trans,turbo,pcm termostat and water pump, and the oil pressure switch and the new engine only had 18,000 miles on it and have only driven the car about 5,000 and I’m already having issues with it again oil leaks and oil pressure light coming on smh Im so done with Ford comfort ability is amazing as I have a bad back but the engine bay needs an entire over haul I need to find something compared to the fusion seats though any suggestions

1 - 15 of 15 Posts