FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2007 4c Ford Fusion, and I was wondering why it's seems like I go through gas alot. My buddy owns a civic and he says it gets better milage.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=ir0nshirt link=topic=73873.msg1313144#msg1313144 date=1175739929]
I just bought a 2007 4c Ford Fusion, and I was wondering why it's seems like I go through gas alot. My buddy owns a civic and he says it gets better milage.

[/quote]

Hi ir0nshirt. As Chris06 asked, "What kind of mileage do you get" (hard data, miles driven divided by gallons filled, over the course of many tankfuls, not one or two)? Then the next questions would be:

1 - What kind of mileage does your friend get? (hard data, not his guesses and made up figures)
2 - What type of driving do you do? (i.e. city, highway, short trips, long trips, etc.)
3 - What type of driving does your friend do? (see #2)
4 - You do realize that all other variables being equal, your friend will get better mileage as his car is smaller and lighter?
5 - Usage of air conditioning, front windshield defroster, number of passengers you carry, etc. etc. all weigh heavily on gas mileage.
6 - What year, model, and how many miles are on your friends car (i.e., is it broken in)?
7 - How many miles are on your car? Do you understand that your car will not be considered broken in, and will not be getting it's best gas mileage, until it has at least 3,000 miles on it?
8 - These are only some of the questions that must be honestly answered before you can find the answer to your question.

As you can see, there are many variables to the old "gas mileage" question.
Best of luck in filling in the answers. :D

Edit - 9 liters per 100KM is over 26 MPG. Without knowing the answers to the above questions, that is not bad for a car which is most likely not broken in.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The only time my car has yielded less than 25mpg was when it was new, on the first tank of gas (24.5mpg). The Civic probably does better on fuel since it has a smaller engine, weighs less, and developes less hp (unless your friend has a new SI). The Civic is in the same class as the Focus. I think the Fusion I4 gets great mileage around town and is respectable on the hwy for its class. Hwy mpg = 29+ mpg @ 70mph or below, city = 26-27 mpg depending upon conditions. Winter city = 25.5mpg long-term average.

[quote author=ir0nshirt link=topic=73873.msg1313144#msg1313144 date=1175739929]

[/quote]

·
Registered
613 Posts
This car is a bit bigger and torquier than a civic, so I would assume that you wont see civic gas milage. Don't worry though, there are plenty of enthusiasts working on ways to get MUCH better gas mileage :) The tunes alone have been happy answers for many people.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My mileage has improved over the last 7000 km, an added bonus is the warmer weather and no idling time. My previous 2 Civics and 2 Accords needed 20000 km before the gas mileage improved significantly. In January, when my car was brand new and the temperature extremely cold (minus 30-40) I was averaging 26-28 MPG. My Civic would average 26 in the same conditions. I just returned from the Laurentions on a ski trip and while in the mountains the computer read out on the Fusion's dash indicated 5.7 L/100 km. I was not using cruise control but did use a light foot and some smart driving. My speed was around 80-85 km/h and the roads were snow/sleet covered. This was only for an hour of driving but works out to 47-48 MPG. Once through Montreal it rained and the speeds picked up to 130+ and the gas mileage went wayyyyyy down, I don't even look at it when driving fast. I find keeping the car under or around 120 km/h yields the best compromise of speed/economy for me. So, Ironshirt, I would not be concerned with your mileage for another 10000-20000 km. Report back then.

Chief

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
A civic will get much better gas mileage. Their engines have very little torque, the vehicles are probably also lighter, but I'm not sure of that.

I have a Mazda6 V6 that I've had for about 6,000 miles. My MPG is just starting to go up since the engine is breaking in. My car certainly does not sip gas. :lol:

·
Registered
476 Posts
[quote author=chief link=topic=73873.msg1314010#msg1314010 date=1175785939]
My mileage has improved over the last 7000 km, an added bonus is the warmer weather and no idling time. My previous 2 Civics and 2 Accords needed 20000 km before the gas mileage improved significantly. In January, when my car was brand new and the temperature extremely cold (minus 30-40) I was averaging 26-28 MPG. My Civic would average 26 in the same conditions. I just returned from the Laurentions on a ski trip and while in the mountains the computer read out on the Fusion's dash indicated 5.7 L/100 km. I was not using cruise control but did use a light foot and some smart driving. My speed was around 80-85 km/h and the roads were snow/sleet covered. This was only for an hour of driving but works out to 47-48 MPG. Once through Montreal it rained and the speeds picked up to 130+ and the gas mileage went wayyyyyy down, I don't even look at it when driving fast. I find keeping the car under or around 120 km/h yields the best compromise of speed/economy for me. So, Ironshirt, I would not be concerned with your mileage for another 10000-20000 km. Report back then.

Chief
[/quote]

ahhhhh... stupid metric system.... :shock: :thinking: :dunno: :surrender: :bowdown:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I traded in a 2004 Taurus which had the same 3.0 Duratec V6 engine as my Fusion. I thought that with the 6 speed over the 4 speed trans in the Taurus I'd realize slightly better gas mileage in the Fusion. In fact, it's slightly worse by about 1/2 to 1 MPG. I consistently got 21+ in mixed commuter driving in the Taurus, and am getting 20+ in the Fusion. Maybe this car's a little heavier and the gears might be steeper. I haven't hit the road yet, but think that I'll probably do much better than the Taurus there, since the overdrive is much deeper in the Fusion; the Taurus would be turning around 3000 rpm at 80, whereas the Fusion is only spinning at 2400 rpm. I read a lot of complaints about the Fusion's mileage and agree it should be better for this class of car, but my past experience with the 24V 3.0 in the Taurus tells me this is about what you'd expect.

·
Registered
702 Posts
[quote author=SamSnyder link=topic=73873.msg1314956#msg1314956 date=1175808090]
I traded in a 2004 Taurus which had the same 3.0 Duratec V6 engine as my Fusion. I thought that with the 6 speed over the 4 speed trans in the Taurus I'd realize slightly better gas mileage in the Fusion. In fact, it's slightly worse by about 1/2 to 1 MPG. I consistently got 21+ in mixed commuter driving in the Taurus, and am getting 20+ in the Fusion. Maybe this car's a little heavier and the gears might be steeper. I haven't hit the road yet, but think that I'll probably do much better than the Taurus there, since the overdrive is much deeper in the Fusion; the Taurus would be turning around 3000 rpm at 80, whereas the Fusion is only spinning at 2400 rpm. I read a lot of complaints about the Fusion's mileage and agree it should be better for this class of car, but my past experience with the 24V 3.0 in the Taurus tells me this is about what you'd expect.
[/quote]
I'm guessing the 24v is the twin cam. If so then remember that the fusion does have 21 more HP and 5 FT/lb of torque. Also how many miles are on your fusion?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Alot of it is break in. Also at least your not running a V6 with AWD my mpg can be as low as 13mpg (usually 16 though) its never topped 22mpg

Yeah it does seem that for the fusion the 3.0 produces more power/torque so that could be the reason few car makers focus on MPG and instead add power with efficiency.

·
Registered
45 Posts
[quote author=otaku link=topic=73873.msg1315891#msg1315891 date=1175841008]
Alot of it is break in. Also at least your not running a V6 with AWD my mpg can be as low as 13mpg (usually 16 though) its never topped 22mpg

[/quote]

well at least I'm not alone, I averaged 13.5 mpg over my first 500 miles :( here I thought my 2005 SuperCrew with a 5.4 was bad but the Fusion might actually be worse.

·
Registered
910 Posts
my dad's lincoln has a 5.4 V8 and he never gets over 11mpg maybe 12 (thats freeway we've seen 8 in city) so it could be worse but yeah not great but it should go up over time I've seen 16 in city and it averages out around there. Freeway mpg should be 22 or so.

·
Registered
799 Posts
ir0nshirt,

I'll use your editorial style:

My Fusion gets excellent MPG.

Compare your ride to an Accord, not an economy car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My Fusion has 17k miles on it, so it's well past break-in. Based on my experience with the Taurus 3.0 Duratec, I expect 20 mpg in mixed commuter driving to be about all the Fusion 3.0 Duratec is gonna give me. Even though it's putting out slightly more power than the Taurus engine, I figure that's due to the Fusion's variable valve timing which should theoretically give at least the same or better gas mileage than the Taurus engine, along with the extra power. 20's not great but hey -- I also got rid of my '94 Impala SS that was getting 12 mpg using premium fuel and costing $80 to fill up, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If I may, let me add another couple variables to the equation that bbf2530 presented so well. What type of geographical terrain do you mostly travel in, mountainous, a little hilly, or flat terrain. How do you drive yourself? Are you a hard charger and a late braker? Or do you accelerate moderately and let off to slow down sooner rather than later?

But as most people have pointed out, you're comparing apples to oranges. According to the EPA, the Honda Civic is a subcompact size sedan, and the Ford Fusion is a midsize sedan. A 1.8L 4 cylinder Civic w/manual has a curb weight of 2685 pounds/1217.90 kilograms. On the other hand, the 2.3L 4 cylinder Fusion w/manual has a curb weight of 3101 pounds/1406.59 kilograms. And since the Fusion is a larger car, it also has a larger frontal area to force through wind resistance at highway speeds verses the Civic.

So go back to your buddy and tell him that he better be getting better mileage than you are. And be proud of your beautiful new Fusion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question: I just picked up my new 07 fusion SE 4cyl (alluminum wheels option) last night so it's only got about 50KM on it so far, but on the dash information it gives you MPG for fuel economy. Driving around i'm finding it sits at 15.9 MPG.. i'm wondering if this number changes as you drive, or is based on total driving of the car.. in the former case the guel economy is far lower than what you guys are saying about yours?

(this is with basic driving, i wasn't late for work this mornin)

cheers,

·
Registered
212 Posts
[quote author=Devine9 link=topic=73873.msg1366436#msg1366436 date=1177591580]
Question: I just picked up my new 07 fusion SE 4cyl (alluminum wheels option) last night so it's only got about 50KM on it so far, but on the dash information it gives you MPG for fuel economy. Driving around i'm finding it sits at 15.9 MPG.. i'm wondering if this number changes as you drive, or is based on total driving of the car.. in the former case the guel economy is far lower than what you guys are saying about yours?

(this is with basic driving, i wasn't late for work this mornin)

cheers,
[/quote]

Try resetting the fuel economy counter. It should move a lot for the first few miles. When I got mine, it was stuck on a number until I reset it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.