FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Which fuel is better for the Ford Fusion, 87, 89 or 92 octane gas? And which gas station you prefer to pump gas at?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The first question is easy--87. The others are just a waste of money given the engine design and calibration.
I avoid stations with E10 fuel (i.e. 10% Ethanol), such as Shell & Sunoco, since they contain roughly 5% less energy than 'regular' gasoline and thus cause a drop in fuel economy. If Ethanol were actually cleaner or reduced our dependence on foreign oil, then I would reconsider, but the evidence is not convincing with present processing. I avoid Citco for the obvious reasons. I generally use BP or Marathon.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=fuzionblaze link=topic=80537.msg1488711#msg1488711 date=1181870841]
Hello everyone, Which fuel is better for the Ford Fusion, 87, 89 or 92 octane gas? And which gas station you prefer to pump gas at?
[/quote]

Hi fuzionblaze! :wavey: The Fusion only needs a good quality 87 octane fuel (check your Owners Manual). Paying for a higher octane will bring no increase in performance or MPG (unless you have retuned your Engine Management System to take advantage of the higher octane).

What I am going to say next is not intended to aggravate anyone, just save you money. A few members will possibly now tell you that they use a higher octane (on a stock engine) and get better better performance and higher MPG. If it were true, Ford could easily recommend a higher octane to get a better EPA rating, and higher Horsepower ratings for the 3.0. Ford does not make those claims with a higher octane, because there are no benefits. The Engine Management System is not programmed to take advantage of higher octanes.

If anyone saw a tangible benefit with any higher octane fuel, it was most likely due to a poor quality 87 octane being used previously.

Again, I do not say this to insult anyone, but if I have my choice between believing Fords Automotive Engineers, or a non-professional opinion (including my own), I will choose the Automotive Engineer every time. They designed the car.

Short story, use a high quality 87 octane (the recommended fuel), and save your money.

Personally, I use Exxon-Mobil, Shell and BP-AMOCO, in that order of preference.

Good luck with your Fusion. :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=mrc link=topic=80537.msg1488930#msg1488930 date=1181875750]
bbf is always real nice with his wavey smiley. What a great guy. BBF - :wavey:
[/quote]

Thanks mrc. :wavey: These are the moments that make life worth living! :hug: :cheers:

·
Registered
391 Posts

i pump at shell, chevron, and 76 in decreasing order of frequency, mostly cuz norcal is dominated by shell

·
Registered
476 Posts
I use 87 where ever it is cheap.  I mostly got to Sunoco, Hess, or Stop & Shop if I have a 10 cent off coupon.  Sometimes I go to Gulf.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My gas cap says "Ford recommends BP", so that's all I use. Just kidding! I laughed the first time I saw that. I typically fill at Costco. QT would be the second choice. QT is "Top Tier".

·
Registered
371 Posts
With my car, I have found that Shell gives the best gas mileage and Sunoco the worst. The Sunoco stuff goes through the car like water (I'm guessing because of the ethenol mixture like a previous post mentioned.) Ironically enough, on my daily commute, the Shell station is the most out of the way and the Sunoco is the easiest to get to! :? As for performance, I don't have any proper instruments to test any of this and I couldn't detect any performance variations. I have tried all of the major brands and all of the fuel economy numbers are fairly close and the difference between the Shell and the Sunoco is approx. 1-2 litres/100 kilometers. I only put 87 octane in as per the manual as it is still in stock tune.

Happy driving :csweeney:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
[quote author=Fusion4u link=topic=80537.msg1490228#msg1490228 date=1181927240]
As for performance, I don't have any proper instruments to test any of this.
[/quote]

What about the "Butt Dyno"?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I use mostly Marathon which I think is Shell gas. As mentioned above Terry Dyson likes Shell and if he likes it I use it.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I try to stay away from the small corner store gas stations like a mom and pop store. I go to any of the well known gas stations (BP, Chevron, Shell, etc.)

G

·
I normally used either Sunoco and Chevron, but by reading this, I think I'll be using just Chevron for now on. What do you guys think about Chevron? Is it better stuff?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
[quote author=cos link=topic=80537.msg1536743#msg1536743 date=1183577328]
I use mostly Marathon which I think is Shell gas. As mentioned above Terry Dyson likes Shell and if he likes it I use it.
[/quote]

Shia, you can't go wrong with Chevron or Shell. I can't remember the last time I didn't fill up on Shell gasoline, but if I was not around a Shell and HAD to fill up, I'd go with Chevron.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
18 months and there has never been anything but Shell in it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts