FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the widest wheel you can fit on these cars? I would like to buy a set of 18x8.5 and don't want to regret it.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=Darin link=topic=86963.msg1658152#msg1658152 date=1187699452]
Whats the widest wheel you can fit on these cars? I would like to buy a set of 18x8.5 and don't want to regret it.
[/quote]

Hi Darin. :wavey: It will depend on the wheel offset number. You will need to know what the offset is before that question can be answered. Some 18X8.5 wheels will fit, others won't.

For a quick lesson in wheel sizing and tech information, go to tirerack.com and read up on the Wheel FAQ section. Or Google "wheel offset"

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=86963.msg1659332#msg1659332 date=1187739810]
[/quote]

Hi Darin. :wavey: It will depend on the wheel offset number. You will need to know what the offset is before that question can be answered. Some 18X8.5 wheels will fit, others won't.

For a quick lesson in wheel sizing and tech information, go to tirerack.com and read up on the Wheel FAQ section. Or Google "wheel offset"

[/quote]

I know with the correct offset I could get a 10" wide wheel on the car but it would stick out to far. I guess the correct question is, will
a 18x8.5 wheel fit inside the fender and not rub on the suspension or body?

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Hi Darin. :wavey: This is not a trick answer. You need to know the offset of the wheel you are talking about. As I stated in my first answer, some 18X8.5 wheels will fit, some won't. It all depends on the offset. Your question cannot be answered accurately without knowing the offset number.

If the offset is too "low', it will likely rub on the fender/outer wheelwell, or stick out too far and look ridiculous/cause more serious problems. If it is too "high", it will likely rub on the suspension, etc.

There is no "one size fits all" answer to this question. And if anyone answers your question with a simple yes or no, without knowing or specifying a correct wheel offset, you should not be taking advice from them.

Again, for a quick lesson in wheel sizing and tech information, go to tirerack.com and read up on the Wheel FAQ section. Or Google "wheel offset".

In fact, here is a good site, with a "Wheel Offset Calculator". http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
You can plug in wheel size and offset numbers to see how the inside and outside clearance numbers will change. You can also surf the site and find a lot of good wheel tech info.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SNIP [quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=86963.msg1661028#msg1661028 date=1187795692] Your question cannot be answered accurately without knowing the offset number.[/quote]

It can and it can't, and I understand your point about having the correct offset. I was more or less wondering if someone knew what the max
wheel width you can fit on these cars if you had the correct offset
. No matter what the offset is you won't get a 10" wheel on the front, not
have any tire rub, and not have it stick out past the fender. My guess is you won't correctly fit a 9" wide wheel on the front either. Just wondering
if someone had tried a correct offset wider than stock wheel. Thanks for the help :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts

I guess the correct question is, will
[/quote]

Hi Darin. :wavey: Please understand, I am only trying to be helpful, and am not trying to be a wiseguy. I cut and pasted your questions above. Your question was, "Will a 18X8.5 inch wheel fit inside the fender and not rub the suspension or body?" because you "would like to buy a set of 18X8.5 wheels and don't want to regret it."

I have answered twice before (now three times). Yes, an 18x8.5 inch wheel will fit and not rub the suspension or body, if it is the correct offset.

At least as far as "The Tire Rack", I can find no 9 inch wide wheel recommendations. So it would seem that 8.5 inches is your safe limit.

Again, if you go to "The Tire Rack", "Discount Tire", or any other major Wheel/Tire Retailer, you can select your vehicle Make and Model, and they will give you a long list of wheels which will fit. Many 18X8.5" recommendations are included. In briefly looking however, I could find no 9 inch recommendations. You don't have to buy from them if you don't want, just use the information.

I'm not sure how to answer your question any clearer.

One last thing Darin, as I would rather be safe than sorry. Just as an FYI, you do know that other than looks, an 18X8.5 inch wheel will cost you in every other department? It will adversely affect your acceleration and fuel mileage (unless you buy a very expensive, very lightweight wheel), your ride comfort and wallet. This is due to the higher unsprung weight mass of a larger wheel/tire combo If you are only doing it for the looks, go for it. Otherwise, I am not trying to talk you out of it, just warn you.

PS - Really like your Ford logo! :shock:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=86963.msg1662215#msg1662215 date=1187819667]

I guess the correct question is, will
[/quote]

Hi Darin. :wavey: Please understand, I am only trying to be helpful, and am not trying to be a wiseguy. I cut and pasted your questions above. Your question was, "Will a 18X8.5 inch wheel fit inside the fender and not rub the suspension or body?" because you "would like to buy a set of 18X8.5 wheels and don't want to regret it."

I have answered twice before (now three times). Yes, an 18x8.5 inch wheel will fit and not rub the suspension or body, if it is the correct offset.

At least as far as "The Tire Rack", I can find no 9 inch wide wheel recommendations. So it would seem that 8.5 inches is your safe limit.

Again, if you go to "The Tire Rack", "Discount Tire", or any other major Wheel/Tire Retailer, you can select your vehicle Make and Model, and they will give you a long list of wheels which will fit. Many 18X8.5" recommendations are included. In briefly looking however, I could find no 9 inch recommendations. You don't have to buy from them if you don't want, just use the information.

I'm not sure how to answer your question any clearer.

One last thing Darin, as I would rather be safe than sorry. Just as an FYI, you do know that other than looks, an 18X8.5 inch wheel will cost you in every other department? It will adversely affect your acceleration and fuel mileage (unless you buy a very expensive, very lightweight wheel), your ride comfort and wallet. This is due to the higher unsprung weight mass of a larger wheel/tire combo If you are only doing it for the looks, go for it. Otherwise, I am not trying to talk you out of it, just warn you.

PS - Really like your Ford logo! :shock:

[/quote]

I wasn't trying to be a pain either. I didn't know how much you knew about wheels and whether or not you knew that I cared if they stuck out past the fender.
I am considering mustang wheels because there seem to be more cheaper choices. I saw someone else post pics of their Fusion with Mustang wheels and I am
looking at a set of 18x8.5 that are only 24.5 lbs. I know about unsprung weight so I am going to try to keep the weight the same as the stock setup.

Does anyone know the weight of 17" SEL wheels?

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Hi Darin! :wavey: Glad we got that cleared up. Yes, I understood from the beginning that you wanted them to look good and not extend beyond the fender line.

I definitely would not call myself a "wheel expert", but do know enough to keep from hurting myself! :lmao:

I am not sure about the weight of the SEL wheels, so will leave that answer to someone who does.

Thanks for understanding that I was only trying to help.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Stock 17in FWD wheel is about 22.5lbs. The AWD wheel is about 2lbs heavier (7 vs 7.5in width).
The 17in tire is 24.3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts