FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the recommended air pressure for 235/30/20 tires? It says max 50 psi but when my rims got delivered, I checked the pressure and they were at 33 psi. But somebody told me it's better at 40 psi. My rims are 20x8.5!

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
[quote author=douglas307 link=topic=82377.msg1537812#msg1537812 date=1183653223]
What's the recommended air pressure for 235/30/20 tires? It says max 50 psi but when my rims got delivered, I checked the pressure and they were at 33 psi. But somebody told me it's better at 40 psi. My rims are 20x8.5!
[/quote]

Hi Douglas. :wavey: You should never fill a tire to the maximum pressure printed on the sidewall. Even 40 psi would sound high. As they are such a low profile and going to be rather hard riding in the first place, the higher pressure would possibly lead to a higher likelihood of wheel damage. 33 psi would certainly seem to be in the ballpark.

Having said that, I would steer clear of taking non-expert advice (including mine) for your new wheels/tires, unless the advice is to go back and ask the experts who sold the equipment to you. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful members on this Forum, but why take the chance of getting wrong, or possibly dangerous advice. You paid good money for a company to provide you with new wheels/tires, ask them.

Where did you buy the wheels and tires? Did you ask them what psi they would recommend? If you bought them from a reputable shop or online seller, I would call them, and go with their recommendation.

Just my two cents. Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called the wheel dealer and they told me it is 40 psi. Thanks bbf! :lol:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My fusion has a mild steering wheel vibration with my new 20 inch rims going at 40 mph. Is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
[quote author=douglas307 link=topic=82377.msg1538425#msg1538425 date=1183679292]
My fusion has a mild steering wheel vibration with my new 20 inch rims going at 40 mph. Is this normal?
[/quote]

Hello again douglas! :wavey: No, a vibration is not normal. It could be a balance problem. I am assuming, by your previous posts, that the wheel/tire combo came already mounted together? Were they balanced by the Wheel Dealer (were there any wheel weights on the wheels)?

Did you have a vibration through the steering wheel at 40 mph (or any other speed) with your old wheel/tire combo? If it is not a balance problem, it may be a more serious, out of round tire problem (not as uncommon as you may think).

Looks like it is time to give the Wheel Dealer another call.

Keep us updated, and good luck! :cheers:

PS - Glad you called the Wheel Dealer for the proper PSI! Always go to the experts! Take any non-expert advice (whether from friends or the Internet) with a grain of salt. The rest of us mean well, but don't always know the right answer. Even the "somebody" who first told you 40 psi, may have just made a lucky (educated) guess this time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again bbf, No vibration with the stock tires, only since putting on the rims and yes they have the balance weight in back of the rims. They must be off a bit. I will take it too discount tires on saturday morning to make sure they are balance correctly. :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wheel balancing is only $19.99 for all four wheels at NTB until end of the month.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Mine are vibrating also. I plan to have them balanced this weekend.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Back in high school I had a z28, a week after I bought it, it had a vibration at 60 kmh. It was fine below or above that speed. Turned out to be one of the wheel weights on the inside of one of the rims fell off.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Good observation. I actually looked at mine and I noticed one of the weight were hanging on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts