FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I've been researching for the last few months for some audio upgrades for my 07 Fusion SE. I have the premium 6Spkr sound system.

When I first got the car the audio system sounded half decent for a stock system, but coming from a car with an aftermarket system before I had my Fusion, I can really tell the difference, especially in clarity.

I wanted anyones advice as to the best and most cost efficient way to upgrade the audio system in the Fusion. Because my Fusion is leased, I'm hesitant to go adding tons of upgrades that I will have to get removed afterwards when I return the car.

To give you an idea of what my tastes are in music, i listen to anything from techo and rap to rock. The problem that I have with the stock audio system is not that it's not loud enough or the bass in not strong enough, but rather that the audio sounds faded or washed out and doesnt have a lot of definition. Also, when the bass is not very definined, but rather muddy and washed out.

I want an upgrade that makes the audio sound crisper, with clearer sound and cleaner highs and bass. I don't need a system with tons of bass or a sub, just good quality sound with a good balance of highs/mids/bass.

I'm not really a pro in aftermarket audio, so I'd really appreacite anyones opinions to what my best bet for an upgrade is? My budget is about $500 for now anyways.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
221 Posts
based on what you said I would recommend that you upgrade all 4 door speakers with good coaxial. Doing so will improve clarity/accuracy / sound definition. I personally would recommend Infinity reference ($100/pr -- good techno/ rap clear highs BUT LOW Bass response), Polk DB series ($100/pr -- good rock/ jazz with very decent midbass sound), and Boston Acoustics SX series (more $$ ($150/pr) & sounds in between). I personally had the polks and was very impressed with them; they sound really good with good bass response for 5x7s and handled amp power well. Anyway, a set of 4 speakers with install should cost less than 500 bucks. I would go listen at those speakers before I buy. Remember your opinion is the only one that matters. good luck.

If you can install these and want me to recoomend online vendors to save some $$ then let me know.

Peace

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I'll probably get the speakers from a local car audio shop thats really good in my area. Most likely I'll get them professionally installed if I get a reasonable price just so it's less worry for me about messing something up.

Just curious, you wouldn't recommend a pair of components for the front as opposed to coax? Is this probably because the stock HU wouldn't be able to power them enough to notice the difference in quality?

Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
correct about the components part. good luck

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have to disagree, components will still sound a 100 times better then Coaxial's. Even without an amp. Yes they sound CRAZY NICE when powered, but you still get the highs that you wont always get from a coaxale, due to the Tweeters. My advice, buy a nice pair of components (memphis) and then down the road if you want, you can purchase a nice amp to finish them off.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have to agree with Tweek, components do sound better. I have a set of MB Quart in my doors, and they sound awesome! My factory headunit powers them just fine. You will notice a huge difference.There's better bass responce, better high end from the tweeters, better everything.

·
Registered
399 Posts
BassNutz :cheers:

·
Registered
359 Posts
im gonna say the same about components... they will sound alot better than coaxs and when you run them from an amp its even better. not only because of the tweeters but because the tweeter and woofer are seperated from each other. the woofer has more area with no tweeter in the center. id never go back to a coax speaker. the imaging, clarity and response is superior to coaxs.

·
Registered
505 Posts
the factory head unit is the weakest link in the factory system. before you worry about speakers you should replace the garbage head unit. although with a budget of $500 you can replace everything. if you get too close to your budget then consider just replacing the front speakers for now, to free up more money for a better head unit. (you can always swap out the rear speakers when you have the money).

also, I would recommend you install it yourself. it's all pretty easy (especially if you use pre-wired harnesses).
-the "professionals" at bestbuy/circuitcity are just as likely to screw something up. (I know a few people that have had numerous problems after having bestbuy/CC do their installs). after all, it's not their car and they're in a hurry to get it done. you on the other hand care about your car and can take all the time you need to do it right.
-the "professionals" at a car audio/security shop are often very good at what they do, but they will charge more. if you go this route make sure it is a legit business, I have heard stories of car audio shops giving thieves the addresses of people who had equipment installed (after all, they know where you live and/or work and they already know what's installed in your car ;))

bottom line is: my advice is to buy a nice head unit online (almost always cheaper than buying in from a store) and install it yourself. you'd be surprised how much better the stock speakers sound once you get rid of the garbage factory headunit. the headunit alone should be enough to hold you over until you get enough money to replace the speakers.

good luck :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
see i agree with the new headunit but disagree that the factory speakers will sound better: when i got my alpine head my factory speakers sounded horrible. It just didnt match up. Thats why i had to get new front components and rear coaxs (you dont use components for the rear). But maybe they will work nice with other heads ;)

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=FusionFanatic link=topic=92231.msg1801147#msg1801147 date=1193105246]
the factory head unit is the weakest link in the factory system. before you worry about speakers you should replace the garbage head unit.
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, what is involved in retaining the functionality of the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket headunit?

·
Registered
505 Posts
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=92231.msg1802526#msg1802526 date=1193163368]Just out of curiosity, what is involved in retaining the functionality of the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket headunit?
[/quote]some headunits have a steering wheel interface built-in, most models don't, for these you will have to buy a steering wheel control interface module. circuitcity sells them for about $80, crutchfield sells them for about $50, or you can get them for about $30 on eBay.

the nice thing about these is that you can program each button to do whatever you want. for example you can change the "media" button to a "mute" button.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=FusionFanatic link=topic=92231.msg1803070#msg1803070 date=1193170773]
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=92231.msg1802526#msg1802526 date=1193163368]Just out of curiosity, what is involved in retaining the functionality of the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket headunit?
[/quote]some headunits have a steering wheel interface built-in, most models don't, for these you will have to buy a steering wheel control interface module. circuitcity sells them for about $80, crutchfield sells them for about $50, or you can get them for about $30 on eBay.

the nice thing about these is that you can program each button to do whatever you want. for example you can change the "media" button to a "mute" button.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info :goodjob:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I've got CoAx all the way around and I think it sounds pretty decent. Could be better, but for the price I really like the sound.

·
Registered
264 Posts
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=92231.msg1802526#msg1802526 date=1193163368]
Just out of curiosity, what is involved in retaining the functionality of the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket headunit?
[/quote]

I bought the PAC steering wheel control off ebay, it works great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you feel you can do it your self then by all means do. I do know that electronics can be intimidating to some.
I personally wouldn't have CC or BB do any installs. I do my own work unless I personally know the persons work. And that is about a half dozen people in the country. I am very picky about the work on my system. That is why I do all the work myself.
I would suggest upgrading the factory speakers with a good set of separates. as budget allows add a head and amps.

Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts