FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What performance parts are available for the Duratec I4 ? Please post only the items below, and I will add them to this list. Do not discuss them here. Also, please make sure they're ACTUALLY available, or post if they're "coming soon." Please also post link of the product.

·
Registered
840 Posts
-Duratec Inlet Manifold - 2.3l (KK3240)
http://www.cosworth.com/shop_item.php?productid=72

-Cosworth Roller Throttle Assembly (YD8070)
http://www.cosworth.com/shop_item.php?productid=77

-street scene grill
http://www.bmcperf.com/shop/product.php?productid=17209&cat=388&page=1

then all the good stuff from steeda.

also, www.fswerks.com

when they actually update it, they're gonna have good shit hopefully.

oh and hi, this is my first post. but i thought i'd make a helpfull one rather then just be like "OMG HI, I HAVE A FUSION LIKE YOU GUYS, HELLOS"

haha, you'll be seeing alot of me soon ;D

·
Registered
18 Posts
FSwerks is still around. They are just putting more emphasis on their Focus and VW parts.

Tim

·
Registered
76 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with optimized throttle bodies on the Fusion? I have been providing optimized throttle bodies for the I4 and V6 Mazda6 for quite a while now. On the 2.3L I have dyno measured gains of about 4 HP and 5 Lbs. of torque. I haven't seen a dyno from a V6 yet, but the customer compliments and positive feedback indicates a pleasant gain for the V6 also.

If anyone is interested in checking out this mod for the Fusion, I have some technical details posted at http://cordovamotorsports.com/mazda_products.html The optimization service is basically about $65 above what the part cost. (I'll need to check into the 'Ford' version of the TB to get an exact price...) If anyone has a throttle body to send in for optimization, the price is the same $65 and the turnaround time is about 6-8 business days.

^^^  Before ^^^ ... and ...  VVV After VVV

·
Registered
702 Posts
twowheelin, do you enlarge the bore and add a new butteryfly or just port and optimize? I wish I could have my fusion parked for 2 weeks so I could have you give mine a try. Another question, how to you get the electronic throttle body off without breaking anything? There's no screws or bolts or I'm an idiot, after all it's been a while since I've looked at it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
[quote author=mechanicboy18 link=topic=75559.msg1804601#msg1804601 date=1193200401]
twowheelin, do you enlarge the bore and add a new butteryfly or just port and optimize? I wish I could have my fusion parked for 2 weeks so I could have you give mine a try. Another question, how to you get the electronic throttle body off without breaking anything? There's no screws or bolts or I'm an idiot, after all it's been a while since I've looked at it. [/quote]
I have enlarged the bore as much as 64mm, but found that a well optimized 60mm TB produced almost the same peak HP gains (4+) and provided a little better low RPM torque. (+5) Based on my actual dyno results, (Link) I stopped offering bored out TBs and only sell the 'optimized' TBs.

The TB is held on with 4 easy to reach bolts. (8mm) There is an electrical plug and 2 small coolant hose connections. (If you haven't done the bypass yet...) The Ford parts are cheaper than the Mazda parts, and I offer the same refund for core returns, so you can get a new part for pretty cheap and not have to park your car...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. What you're saying is that I can front you $225(or less because ford parts are cheaper), get a new Optimized TB and send back my old one for get refunded for all but $65? That sounds like a sweet deal to me even if it is only +4hp +5ft/lb. Let me know when you'll for sure have ford parts to do the work.

On another note. With the coolant bypass, has anyone had any problem with below freezing temperatures and early morning starting? My fusion needs to be reliable because my Wife will be driving it with my baby in the car and I don't want to risk anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What's the durability of the optimized throttle body? Looks like an awful lot of material was removed. Is it still robust?

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=AgentRedlum link=topic=75559.msg2033659#msg2033659 date=1201664571]
What's the durability of the optimized throttle body? Looks like an awful lot of material was removed. Is it still robust?
[/quote]

It's not really a high stress part, I don't see it making much a difference at all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm testing out an optimized TB for the 2.3L Fusion. BTW: The 2.3L Fusion uses a 55mm TB which looks to be the same as the Mazda PZEV 55mm TB. Optimization will open up 17.4% more area on the 55mm TBs which would be almost as much area as a standard 60mm TB. (2211 Sq mm VS 2227 Sq mm)

We'll see if the 2.3L ECU is a little more forgiving than the 3.0L for TB changes... :huh

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
has anyone done this yet? ive contacted them to see if they had a tb that would work for our cars

·
Registered
514 Posts
[quote author=chillin in the milan link=topic=75559.msg2582634#msg2582634 date=1220370829]
has anyone done this yet? ive contacted them to see if they had a tb that would work for our cars
[/quote]This sounded like a promising mod but I haven't heard a lick from this guy in ages and afraid it's a dead issue until I hear otherwise...

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
thats no est bieno.i guess i might have to do what i did with my tib(bbtb where close to 600$ when they first came out) is take it down to a local machine shop and have them bore it out,new valve, and polish it. it only costed about 100$ and they had it done in about 3 hours. and it was a pertty good gain to. and if doin that i might as well get a custom pulley or two...i live in a oil town, so machine shops are pertty common around here. so there always looking for side work. i had a new x bracke done for my zam, and it honestly took a few hours,and it was powder coated and everything. guess its just an excuse to not weld headache racks together all day

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
but i would much rather order a new tb, incase anything goes wrong. so hopefully hel get back to me soon

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
well id like to add
intakes-f2,steeda,kn
optimized tb-cordova motorsports
headers-f2
pulleys-darkstarmotorsports
bsdk and oil baffle-f2 and darkstar
exhuast-magnaflow(avialible through abunch of places)
tunes-steeda,buhmes, and possibly f2
intake manifold- modified cosworth or weapons r
valves and valve springs- cosworth and supertech
engine mounts-street unit
oil catch cans-universal will work
tb spacer-steeda

chime in if you now anymore

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
street unit engine mount
exedy flywheel 13 lbs
fidanza flywheel
fidanza clutch
exedy stage 1 &2 clutch
rods- eagle,f2,suertech,cosie
pistons(low and high) cosie,supertech.wiseco and f2
heads- ford racing, and f2
steeda sts bracket
twm sts
awr radiator
awr tranny mount

and now for some maybe parts
the metal head gastket for the 2.3 mazda (avialible in low compression)
the phantom grip lsd for a mazda 6
possibly the perrin fuel rail for a protege

rmeber our car is a mixture of a mazda 3 and a mazda 6, we have the same tranmission as the mazda 6, and 2.3i similiar to the 6 and 3

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
f2 turbo kit
and there is manual and automatic transmission builds through the mazda forum

that should be every thing you need to build a ~220 n/a i4(its been done with the mazda) and with the turbo kit every thing you need to build it as fast as you want

1 - 20 of 36 Posts