FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I used to be big on audio systems in my old cars, but right now, all I am looking for is better sound. I plan on keeping my stock head unit, no sub, and just upgrading my front and rear speakers. I have the SEL mp3CDx6 but not the audiophile system...

So my question is, what speakers should I get to directly replace my stock speakers. I am not looking to spend a lot of money, maybe like 150-200 for both the front and rear speakers. So first off, what size do I need for both. (i saw the speaker size FYI thread, but noticed tons of different options). So what is the perfect size for a direct replacement. Also, what is a good speaker? Whats the difference between 2-way, 4-way, component, etc... I want to have a really good sounding audio system that i can crank up and hear clear, but also when listening at normal volume hear all the intricacies of the songs (if that makes sense). Can anyone recommend anything?

Lastly, if its a direct replacement, would i be able to install it or is it better to just have a place like best buy do it? Its not like "plug and play" right, or do you need to soder wires or run them through the car or anything...

sorry i lack all this audio knowledge, but any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance!

·
Registered
484 Posts
check out cruthcfield.com they will tell you what size to get give you directions on how to install them and wire harnesses if needed.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If all you want to spend is $150-200, then speakers is about all you could do anyway. 5x7's are a direct replacement, but some 6.5 will fit with a speaker bracket (included when you buy from Crutchfield). I went with Kenwood 5x7 from Crutch, and they were an improvement over stock. I recommend Crutch since they include the wiring harness and brackets, plus tech support- all for free.

Components (separate mid/woofer and tweeter) will offer the best sound- but they typically need an amp. I would suggest a nice set of 2 ways for your needs (and no amp). There is no running wires, etc with just replacing speakers (with the Crutch wiring harness) so the most difficult part is removing the door panel- which isn't difficult at all.

Word of warning, even with upgraded speakers you aren't going to be able to "crank it up" significantly without the risk of distortion. Most distortion is caused by a lack of power, not too much power. Good luck

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
the only reason i didnt go with coaxs is becuase i still wanted to use my tweeters... I like my highs to come from in front of me instead of from my doors. If you do go with coaxs make sure you unplug those tweeters becaseu you will be getting a lot of highs and it wont sound right. I know people have posted about this before.

The bad part is that it will be over your budget to get spend ~$200 for components for the fronts and ~$100 for matching coaxs in the rears PLUS install.

I still have not got an amp to run my upgraded components and I am impressed with them, but as ming said they work better with an amp which is true. I plan on getting an amp to run but not yet.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
If you're going to upgrade your speakers in the door, it's practically a given that you're going to have to insulate the door panels with a vibration-killing material like Dynamat or the equivalent. Your Fusion will rattle like a Honda Civic if you don't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too wanted to keep the stock HU. I upgraded the speakers with Rockford Fosgate "Punch Series" 6X8 speaker and components (6 speakers).
The additional sound was great, so crisp clean and with 6x8 speakers a boost in bass.
total cost was around $400 installed at the local Sound shop and worth every penny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts