FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing a Fusion in a few months and I am trying to get all the info I can on them. It has been many years since I have shopped for a new car and I have some questions about pricing.

I am eligible for the "X" plan, which is basically the invoice price. Is it possible to negotiate a better price than invoice for these cars? How much off of MSRP did you get when you bought yours?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
Hi HoosierInFl. Actually, the X-Plan will get you a price that is slightly better than invoice. And right now, there is an X-Plan Bonus Cash of $500 (for a limited time) that you would be eligible for, at an even lower price. To answer your question directly, no, you would have to be the Owner's best friend (or eligible for the A/Z plan price) to get a better price than the X-Plan.

A word of caution. Even with an X-Plan PIN, many dealers will still try to nickel and dime you. I just helped Bassnutz (a member of this forum, his wife had a bad accident and their '06 Fusion was totalled) purchase a car on the X-plan. The dealer he used still tried to charge him a "Documentation" fee, although it is prohibited on the plan.

The Dealer can only charge you the X-Plan price plus any dealer added equipment you okay (pinstriping, etc.), taxes, license and registration (only what the state charges for the license and registration, no added fees), and then subtract any rebates. That is it. But trust me, most will try to charge some sort of extra fee. It is up to you to be an educated buyer. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I thought the X-plan was a good deal but I wanted to make sure. With the $500 bonus cash I wish I could buy right now, but it will be a few months yet.

My friend told me I could get a better deal because he just bought a new '06 $52k Lincoln Towncar for $44k.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
[quote author=HoosierInFL link=topic=65785.msg1127454#msg1127454 date=1167601354]
Thanks for the info. I thought the X-plan was a good deal but I wanted to make sure. With the $500 bonus cash I wish I could buy right now, but it will be a few months yet.

My friend told me I could get a better deal because he just bought a new '06 $52k Lincoln Towncar for $44k.
[/quote]

Hi again Hoosier. Yes, your friend was able to get a $52k Lincoln for $44k because of the gigantic rebates on the '06 Town Cars. A deaf, dumb and blind person could have received the same price (no offense intended to your friend). You however are eligible for the X-Plan price, and then you are still eligible for those same gigantic rebates (if you were buying the same Town Car), then another $500 in X-Plan bonus cash. Trust me, you will not get a better deal on your own.

However, to satisfy your curiosity, I would tell you to do what I tell all my friends or family when I give them a plan PIN. Go out on your own and negotiate your best price at a Dealership, without telling them you are eligible for the X-Plan price (or Z). Then you will know what your best non-plan price is. Then go and get the price using your X-Plan price PIN. You can now compare both prices.

In 15 years and approximately 25 A/X/Z plan purchases that I have helped people with, not one person has ever been able to get a better price on their own. But now you can give it a try and feel comfortable with your decision.

Again, feel free to ask for any help you may need.

Good luck, and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Got my 06 SE I4 Manual for $11,559 + TT&L. No special "X plan", was advertised @ that price. MSRP on the window was $17.998

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How often does the X Plan Bonus Cash come around? The current offer ends January 2 and I won't be buying for a few months. I think that the $1000 cash back offer ends at the same time. I hope that comes around again as well.

Thanks for all the info.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
[quote author=HoosierInFL link=topic=65785.msg1127696#msg1127696 date=1167614017]
How often does the X Plan Bonus Cash come around? The current offer ends January 2 and I won't be buying for a few months. I think that the $1000 cash back offer ends at the same time. I hope that comes around again as well.

Thanks for all the info.
[/quote]

Hi Hoosier. The X-Plan Bonus Cash is a here today, maybe here tomorrow sort of thing. Whether it will be around in a few months, who knows. The $1000 in rebates is scheduled to end on the 2nd, most likely would be extended, since auto sales are relatively flat. Might be extended for a month, maybe more. Might not be extended. Might be increased. If you catch my drift, it is a crapshoot as to what rebates and incentives will be around several months from now. Could be better than what is here now, or there could be none (doubtful though).
Hi Jaysen! Now as far as a Fusion that listed for $17,998 being sold for $11,559, I would be curious as to what the mileage on the car was when you bought it. That price would be several thousand dollars less than what the dealer paid for it new, and I don't know of many dealers that give away cars at a loss. So have a feeling there is more to the story, whether you know it or not. And please understand, I am not looking for an argument. I just know what the dealer cost is for a car, and know they do not sell at a loss. As you can imagine, that would be bad business.
Anyway, Happy New Year everyone!

PS - Jaysen, I just saw your other post as to your worries and decision to hold off until Tuesday on the Fusion that you did not purchase yet at $11,559. After reading, I would be concerned that the car you are considering buying has been previously damaged, and is not actually being sold "as new". And I still would be curious as to the mileage on the car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have another question about the rebates. The option package that I want on my Fusion is a rare one. One dealer near me has the exact package I want but no other dealer in a five county radius has anything close to it. When the time comes for me to buy, I may have to order the car from the factory. To get the rebates, do I always need to buy from dealer stock instead of ordering? If so, that poses a problem for me.

Thanks again for all the info.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
[quote author=HoosierInFL link=topic=65785.msg1128074#msg1128074 date=1167672203]
I have another question about the rebates. The option package that I want on my Fusion is a rare one. One dealer near me has the exact package I want but no other dealer in a five county radius has anything close to it. When the time comes for me to buy, I may have to order the car from the factory. To get the rebates, do I always need to buy from dealer stock instead of ordering? If so, that poses a problem for me.

Thanks again for all the info.
[/quote]

Hi Hoosier. Yes, you can special order a car from the factory and you still are eligible to receive any rebates available. The only thing to remember is you will get the rebate available at the time of purchase, which is when the car comes in and you take possession of it. Sometimes you can get price protection for the rebates at the time you order it, but that is becoming a rare situation.

As an example, I ordered my MKZ on 10/07 and was told it should be a 6-8 week wait. The car was delivered to the Dealer on 11/20, and I picked it up on 11/21, almost 6 weeks to the day. I received the same rebate as the day I ordered it, because the rebates had not changed. If they had changed, I would have received the newer program rebate, for better or worse.

I have always special ordered every car I have purchased. My Father worked for Ford (for Motorcraft, the parts division) and that was his advice, and I listened. It is a really nice feeling to have the car come in, brand new with your name on the window sticker. It has not been test driven, nor even sat in by God knows who (other than by those involved in the delivery :D). It has not been abused by strangers taking test drives. No extra miles on the odometer. It is the color you want, inside and out with no need to compromise. It has every option you want, with none that you did not want. I always recommend to family and friends that they order the car they want, as opposed to taking one off the Dealer lot. Of course, this is not always possible for people to do, as sometimes you need the car now. Also not possible with most imports. They will do a search to see if they can locate what you want, but you usually have to settle for something close.

Feel free to keep the questions coming, and good luck!

·
Registered
817 Posts
bbf2530,

That is excellent advice for all. I wish I had discovered this forum BEFORE we bought our 2007 V6 SEL AWD Fusion off the lot. There are a lot of things I would have changed. We had a limited selection but definitely wanted a Fusion.

Placing an order would have been a much better way to go about the process. We have, for example, decided we would like to have a rear spoiler, a stock Ford one. I wonder if it has the brake light built in and won't it look funny having one in the spoiler and the original one in the rear window? (I don't care much for the rear window one anyway.) Ordering the spoiler option would probably have eliminated the duplication. I also don't care much for the notion that holes will have to be drilled in the trunk.

Again, excellent advice: Order what you want and how you want it. I have only done that once in my life, a 1966 Dodge Monaco (loved that car).

People reading your post would be well-advised to follow your suggestion. We would be a lot happier today if we had done that. Boz

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
bbf2530 - The car is as new, its been sitting @ the dealership from about Aug. 20th 06 give or take a day/week or so. On the test drive I went on in the car it millage was reading 32.5. I plan on going back up there tomorrow and see if the truck issue is resolved. If its not, I may just end up getting tungsten silver.

·
Registered
407 Posts
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=65785.msg1127403#msg1127403 date=1167598982]
A word of caution. Even with an X-Plan PIN, many dealers will still try to nickel and dime you. I just helped Bassnutz (a member of this forum, his wife had a bad accident and their '06 Fusion was totalled) purchase a car on the X-plan. The dealer he used still tried to charge him a "Documentation" fee, although it is prohibited on the plan.
[/quote]

This is very true, and thanks again bbf2530. I can't thank you enough!!!

What an X-Plan offers is you get to buy the car for $50 over the dealer invoice. Now the place that we just bought our new one at still charged us $299 documantation fees. I pointed out that they were not supposed to do it, but they still charged it. Trust me, if I had my way, I would have gone to another dealer just for the fact that they were not allowed to charge this according to Ford. But, my wife wanted the car, so we payed the $299.

The only way you could get a better deal over an X-Plan would be to be an employee of Ford. Our car had an MSRP of $25,770. We ended up paying $20,500. after all the rebates. That's a good chunk of change taken off the sticker price, and there's nothing the dealership can do.

:klavergreg:

Bottom line is, if you have someone offer you an X-Plan PIN.....TAKE IT!!!!!! It will save you money.

Thanks again R.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How does the X-Plan work if I have to order the car? They won't have an invoice to show me that lists the X-Plan price, so I'm sure they would try and charge me more. I can go to any number of websites and get an invoice price, but how would I know the X-Plan price?

I'd rather not order a car, but there's not a car in a five county radius that has a Fusion with the exact options list that I want.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
[quote author=HoosierInFL link=topic=65785.msg1149169#msg1149169 date=1168801398]
How does the X-Plan work if I have to order the car? They won't have an invoice to show me that lists the X-Plan price, so I'm sure they would try and charge me more. I can go to any number of websites and get an invoice price, but how would I know the X-Plan price?

I'd rather not order a car, but there's not a car in a five county radius that has a Fusion with the exact options list that I want.

[/quote]

Hi HoosierInFL.
An easy way to approximate the X-Plan price for a vehicle would be to subtract anywhere from $25-$150 off the invoice price of any particular vehicle, optioned out the way you would order it. Then deduct any customer incentives and rebates you and your vehicle are eligible for. That will give you a ballpark figure, usually, but not always, within a hundred or so, either way.

If the Dealer is honest, they can tell you the exact X-Plan price by entering your desired vehicle's info, optioned the way you would order, into the vehicle order pricing system. You are under no obligation to buy at that point. They should be able to give you a computer printout listing the X-Plan price and all incentives. Remember though, without a valid PIN# to show the Dealer, they are under no obligation to tell you an X-Plan price or provide any X-Plan info.

If you have a PIN number and your sponsor signs you up for the X-Plan site, you can build and price your X-Plan vehicle at the FordDirect.com website for Plan purchases.

If you do not have site access or a PIN, list the vehicle you want, along with all the options and option packages you would like, in this post.
You can find all of your vehicle info, and available options at Forddirect.com. Follow the prompts to "Build your vehicle."
When you have the info, post it here, along with your zip code. I will check back for your update. Once you have given me the info, I will check the price for you on the Plan site.
As stated above, there are ways to do it yourself, but it involves finding the invoice price, some hunting and figuring. I don't mind taking the 10 minutes to help you.
Good luck, and I will wait for your update.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info. Ford gives access to the fordpartner.com website to all the employees of my employer, so I have the code that lets me into the site. I couldn't find where to go on the site to build and price a car. Each time I think I found the correct link, it took me to a page to select a car from a dealership.

Edit: I'm looking at the Fort Partner website right now. It won't let me choose every option I want, only a few of the major ones. It then wants my personal info so they can contact local dealers.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
[quote author=HoosierInFL link=topic=65785.msg1149436#msg1149436 date=1168810411]
Thanks for the info. Ford gives access to the fordpartner.com website to all the employees of my employer, so I have the code that lets me into the site. I couldn't find where to go on the site to build and price a car. Each time I think I found the correct link, it took me to a page to select a car from a dealership.

Edit: I'm looking at the Fort Partner website right now. It won't let me choose every option I want, only a few of the major ones. It then wants my personal info so they can contact local dealers.
[/quote]

Okay. Then just list the car, model (SE, SEL, GT, etc), options, options packages and your zip code, and I will work up the price for you.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
[quote author=HoosierInFL link=topic=65785.msg1149436#msg1149436 date=1168810411]

[/quote]

Also, remember that not all options are available individually. Some are only available as part of the larger option packages, or may not be available on the model and trim level you have chosen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, but the site doesn't even allow for choosing option packages.

Here is what I'm looking for:

SE with the I-4 engine
Tungsten silver exterior
Cloth Charcoal black interior w/144 (dunno what the 144 means)
SE appearance package
Wheels: 17" SEL w/Black Painted Pockets
Tires: P225/50R17
5-speed automatic transmission
Audiophile w/8-Speakers
Sirius Satellite Radio
Rear spoiler

According to Cars.com, the invoice for the above is $19,430.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
[quote author=HoosierInFL link=topic=65785.msg1149474#msg1149474 date=1168811446]
Yeah, but the site doesn't even allow for choosing option packages.

Here is what I'm looking for:

SE with the I-4 engine
Tungsten silver exterior
Cloth Charcoal black interior w/144 (dunno what the 144 means)
SE appearance package
Wheels: 17" SEL w/Black Painted Pockets
Tires: P225/50R17
5-speed automatic transmission
Audiophile w/8-Speakers
Sirius Satellite Radio
Rear spoiler

According to Cars.com, the invoice for the above is $19,430.

Thanks.

[/quote]

Hi Hoosier. Give me a little bit, and I will post an approximate price back to you.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts