FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to decide what to get first for my car, but can't seem to find anyone with the 2.3l auto that have made mods.
It seems as though the best bet would be the Xcal2, but I'm wanting more power and economy without having to go to premium fuel.
Options I'm considering now are:
Cold air (short ram) intake from Speeda
Magnaflow Exhaust
Custom exhaust
Xcal2(not sure which tunes)
Underdrive pulleys(alternator and water pump only due to not wanting to reset the cams)

My question is, what would you do or have you done and would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
833 Posts
mechanicboy18, I have the same set up as you. 2.3l with a K&N drop in filter. I just bought a used XCal2 and am waiting to receive it. I travel 20,000+ miles/year. So, I do not want to go to premium fuel (91-93)since even the 89 octane fuel around here is about 12 cents more then the 87 octane. That translates in to about $80.00 year. I will have to talk to Bob Jusnes to see if they offer an 89 torque tune (probably not). Most of my driving is in the lower RPM range where the torque tune would help more then the performence tune would. I think the XCal2 would be the best first step. I know the CAI is only going to help on the high end of the RPM range. As far as exhaust or underdrive pulleys go, my knowledge is not that far advanced to say what is the best bang for the buck. Also, would it best for you to do the other mods before the XCal2 (are the tunes taylored to the mods?). I let you know how I make out but it may be awhile since my car has to go into the shop before I load the new tunes.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I would drop in a supercharged V-8 8)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
with a v8 who needs a supercharger lol
Speaking of superchargers I don't see one happening for the fusion unless they relocate the powersteering pump.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there no good deals out right now, I got 0% finacing for 72 months, if that comes around again then maybe I will.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The manual is pretty fun to drive. :klavergreg:

·
Registered
47 Posts
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER. An auto in a 4 banger seems to take every last nuts a 4 can muster when u need all u can get. I wanted my ponies to be awake with a manual

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The auto ain't that bad, unless it's right off the line then I want to cry. But this is how it's been with every ford auto I've driven, there just gutless off the line. I've been doing some thinking(and yes it hurt lol j/k) and decided I don't think I want to get any of those things as I wasn't planning on keeping the car more then 2-3 years anyway. Plus in the town I'm in most racing you never come to a dead stop anyway and autos take manuals all the time. So I'm thinking Nitrous. It's just $430 for the kit with 35hp, 50hp, and 75hp, and at $20 to fill up a 10lb bottle that ain't bad. The only thing I might need to do is retard the ignition if I use the 75shot. That would last me because I'd only use it(the 35hp, 50hp) maybe two three times a week so a bottle would last over a month. I know some people will object to this but I only want to hear them if it's because you have PERSONALLY used it yourself and can tell me why not.

The reason I'm planning on trading it in is because I want a rear-wheel-drive. Thinking G8, but sure yet.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I wonder if level10 has anything for this tranny, or if they offer any behind the site options. I love driving a stick, but a level10 package would be better than a MTX as far as its performance, as well as the amount of power that it could handle.

·
Registered
112 Posts
1. Buy 4 cylinder
2. Start dumping money into mods to make it faster

Why not buy the V6 from the get go? The mileage is almost the same and you wouldn't have to touch a thing.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=Total ConFUSION link=topic=72955.msg1297494#msg1297494 date=1175119525]
1. Buy 4 cylinder
2. Start dumping money into mods to make it faster

Why not buy the V6 from the get go? The mileage is almost the same and you wouldn't have to touch a thing.
[/quote]

Since he has an auto i would have to agree with you. Reason why i got the 4 bannger was i only wanted a 5 speed manual.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well aside from the manual option which he doesn't have maybe he just enjoys modding/working on his car?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Total ConFUSION, the v6s where sold out when I bought my car. Also the mileage isn't that close. Off a full tank on average I'd get over 50 miles more a tank, and that's just from the EPA statement, and I'm getting better then EPA estimates.

Otaku, yes I do enjoy working on my car. About the only I don't enjoy doing on my car is smog stuff, which is why i'm selling my 79 K5 blazer to my uncle, the engine(the I rebuilt) only has about 5k miles on it max. I got tired of messing with smog equipment and never getting around to the fun stuff. Oh and tracing electrical shorts, that can just get on your nerves.

I just want a little more power from my car, nothing serious, and nothing expensive. I know my car won't beat a Camaro, that's why I don't try lol. I thought nitrous because it will only affect my fuel economy as much as I push the button. Considering that it only costs about as much as a magnaflow exhuast, I's say it is a cheap way to keep me happy with the car until I get a new one.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The only reason I got the 4 banger was because of the manual tranny. If the V-6 had offered it that is what I would have gotten.

·
Registered
47 Posts
myself i would like a borla cat back system but who knows if that will ever happen (the mazda 3's on youtube sound killer). i just think the car is too quiet and i need some bling back there. I also have an X2 which i really enjoy. The last thing i would like to get would be a CAI when someone offers one for a affordable price. To me its not that much, i got the car pretty darn cheep. Every one of those add ons will increase power and fuel economy and also give a great sound. It all depends on your personality, how adventurous you are, how much work your willing to do and a lot of other things. If you want more power, intake exhaust and an X2 will work hand in hand and yeild the best results

1 - 16 of 16 Posts