FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Flowmaster Super 40 Series Sounds calm at idle then while driving it has a nice deep sound that really announces your presence without overdoing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts

Magnaflow Polished Stainless model 14830.

I have this installed from the swaybar-area back. It has a very deep sound at idle, get a bit louder but never raspy until 2800-3000rpm at WOT and then quiets down a lot. At highways speeds, around 3000 rpm its not bad. There's a little bit of interior resonance that could be dulled down either with some dynamat in the rear end, or simply replacing the factory resonator with a bigger one. I'm looking into having the latter done, replacing the piping from the flange all the way to my new muffler, and adding a 6" round resonator.

the tips are twin ovals, and slightly angle cut. Fits pefect in the I4 rear cutout.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...rt=MPE-14830&N=400636+314784+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have the Magnaflow catback exhaust. I like it a lot and it's not too loud inside.

Not the best shot I could find, but the tips fill in the cutouts quite nicely:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Magnaflow here 8)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
does magnaflow make a muffler that isn't any louder than stock? I've got a pretty hectic job as it is - when I get into my car, I want to hear NOTHING AT ALL except the radio and the engine if I go to WOT. I'd really love to do Magnaflow's but I really don't want any sound.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=81766.msg1602284#msg1602284 date=1185943528]
does magnaflow make a muffler that isn't any louder than stock? I've got a pretty hectic job as it is - when I get into my car, I want to hear NOTHING AT ALL except the radio and the engine if I go to WOT. I'd really love to do Magnaflow's but I really don't want any sound.
[/quote]

Then i would say just put diff tips on the car. You can get a diff look than stock and keep the sound level the same.

·
Registered
45 Posts
[quote author=slaterracing link=topic=81766.msg1603506#msg1603506 date=1185987089]

[/quote]

you could always go to a muffler shop and have them install just the magnaflow mufflers instead of the entire catback.
[/quote]

too much $$$ for me for just sound. I'd like to squeeze every last hp I can get out of this car and I suspect the mufflers alone won't change anything.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Stock exhaust with a 2" DynoMax SuperTurbo muffler (part # 17730). The DynoMax Super Turbo is generally considered to be the best flowing chambered muffler on the market. It's a little throaty/sporty when taking off but just as quiet as the stocker at hwy speed (quiet and peaceful) - exactly what I wanted. If you want more sound then I'd recommend a 2.25 or 2.5" DynoMax or Magnaflow.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK-17730&N=700+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
702 Posts
[quote author=slaterracing link=topic=81766.msg1603711#msg1603711 date=1185991376]
ya the mufflers are not going to give you a much by them selves. i would say 1 to 2 at the most. That is all i did. i wanted the sound and did not want to spend over $400.
[/quote]

Then where are you gaining HP with the magnaflow system if it isn't the mufflers? The resonator? It's not the piping because it's the same size as stock and both have mandrel bends so there's no gain there.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=mechanicboy18 link=topic=81766.msg1617385#msg1617385 date=1186459358]
[quote author=slaterracing link=topic=81766.msg1603711#msg1603711 date=1185991376]
ya the mufflers are not going to give you a much by them selves. i would say 1 to 2 at the most. That is all i did. i wanted the sound and did not want to spend over $400.
[/quote]

Then where are you gaining HP with the magnaflow system if it isn't the mufflers? The resonator? It's not the piping because it's the same size as stock and both have mandrel bends so there's no gain there.
[/quote]

???Good Question. Do know now the answer to that. I have very much happy with my choice of just a muffler instead of the entire cat back. Nice deep sounds (and got even better with the Steeda CAI) and looks good at least to me. :lol:

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
[quote author=cos link=topic=81766.msg1617362#msg1617362 date=1186458768]
Stock exhaust with a 2" DynoMax SuperTurbo muffler (part # 17730). The DynoMax Super Turbo is generally considered to be the best flowing chambered muffler on the market. It's a little throaty/sporty when taking off but just as quiet as the stocker at hwy speed (quiet and peaceful) - exactly what I wanted. If you want more sound then I'd recommend a 2.25 or 2.5" DynoMax or Magnaflow.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK-17730&N=700+115&autoview=sku

[/quote]

Those do sound good and they're decently priced. I had one on my 3.8L Taurus a few years ago. But it started to rust pretty badly after just 2 years.

As for sound with the Magnaflow cat-back; just turn up your radio a notch and you won't hear it. ;)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Rusted through or just surface rust? My buddy had two of 'em on his '92 Mustang LX 5.0 and they lasted - he never had to replace em, and that was on a daily driver including snow and salt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.