FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am new around here and just purchsed a new to me 2009 fusion se in December. I have been lurking around for a while and getting good tips, so I thought I'd try to solve the only problem I've got with the car.

Right after I purchased the car I was poking around the trunk looking for a place to build a custom fiberglass subwoofer box. I decided I would put it on the drivers side of the car in the open alcove area opposite the jack and lug nut wrench.

Well, there is that open slit of carpet and my hand slipped down into the hole and it had about an inch of water and some small rocks. I dried it out and everytime it rains it fills back up. Here's a couple photos of where it's catching the water to help orient you, luckily it hasn't gone anywhere else and underneath the spare is dry:

It appears the water is coming from the vent, as it is a little bit wet and has the dust rinsed off of it. Also, the rocks must be coming from the road as well.

I have looked in the wheel well and all of the plastic covers are in place but I haven't had a chance to dig any deeper to see how the water may be getting on or what I can do about it.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Have you seen up inside the wheel well and do you have an idea of how the water is getting up there?

Thanks! Looking forward to being a part of the community.

·
Registered
878 Posts
This is a semi-common problem. Usually its just a little bit of moisture. Check all seals, rivet points (by your taillights), and check real wheel well drain plugs.

Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it is leaking, so I'd say remove all of the liners in the trunk and have someone hose down the exterior of the car by the trunk and see where water is entering in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's been raining for about 3 days here and I've accumulated about 2 inches of water so far. I plan on attempting the spray down option, but the grit and rocks along with the water on the vents make me think it's coming from the road. Has anyone ever plugged those vents up? And where exactly are the rear wheel drain plugs?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Let me look at both my Milan and Fusion tomorrow. I know I've had issues with small rocks and dust coming into that same area on my Milan, but never any issues with water. (I think, haven't looked in years)

I'll get back to you, possibly with pictures.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hey sorry, haven't had any time to look into the matter on my vehicles. If its only occuring while driving, I'm starting to think its a vent or plug somewhere in the wheel well.

I'll try and look tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, I fixed my problem this weekend. The vent I showed a picture of was a little bit bent, so it wasn't clipped in and sealed all the way on the upper right side. Looks like the water was rolling in from the outside of the car and coming through the panel beneath the gas fill and then dripping into my trunk from the top right corner of the the trunk vent. Nothing a little silicone sealant couldn't fix. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
water also in trunk, driver's side

my son has a 2011 fusion sport. He started getting lots of water in his trunk on the driver's side all of a sudden. We finally got a chance to check it out and what we found is that when the vent on the side (like the original poster had happen) was open and we sprayed water on the quarter panel around the fuel filler door, water came gushing in the vent. We also found this vent opens all the time while the fan is on for the AC or heater. I suspect it also opens while driving, but we didn't test this. What we can't figure out is why it just started to happen. We pulled the vent out (it wasn't warped or partially loose the like the original poster's problem). I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a shround around the top of it in between the trunk and the quarter panel. Does anybody have a good part number for this vent? The only thing I came up with is 280B62, but I can't find a good picture of it to see if there is a shroud.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine didn't have a shroud or anything around it when I took it out, but when I replaced it I put silicon around it to seal it all up and haven't had any problems since.

There is the large plastic piece above the wheel right? You had to take it out to get to the vent?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The water runs in the vent where the flaps are when they are open. When we pulled the vent out, we did it from inside the trunk, not from above the wheel
water also in trunk, driver's side

my son has a 2011 fusion sport. He started getting lots of water in his trunk on the driver's side all of a sudden. We finally got a chance to check it out and what we found is that when the vent on the side (like the original poster had happen) was open and we sprayed water on the quarter panel around the fuel filler door, water came gushing in the vent. We also found this vent opens all the time while the fan is on for the AC or heater. I suspect it also opens while driving, but we didn't test this. What we can't figure out is why it just started to happen. We pulled the vent out (it wasn't warped or partially loose the like the original poster's problem). I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a shround around the top of it in between the trunk and the quarter panel. Does anybody have a good part number for this vent? The only thing I came up with is 280B62, but I can't find a good picture of it to see if there is a shroud.

Thanks!
Hi
The water runs in the vent where the flaps are when they are open. When we pulled the vent out, we did it from inside the trunk, not from above the wheel
Hi did replacing the vent solve the issue. I have the same water issue in this well in my 2008 Fusion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

Hi did replacing the vent solve the issue. I have the same water issue in this well in my 2008 Fusion.
UPDATE. LEAKAGE SOLVED I replaced both vents and the water leakage has stopped. Rain water (and no driving) was dripping down between the bumper skin and the car body above the vent and making its was around the old vent seal and into the wheel well. The old vents rubber seal was hard and not sealing properly, the new vents seal is softer rubber and replacing stopped the problem. I had over an inch of water in both trunk wells. No water from the sunroof drains or from tail lights. Haven't determined where the water above the vent is coming from but think it is from running down between the tail light housing and rear quarter panel to the bumper skin to rear panel joint. To remove the vent I depressed the 4 clips holding the vent in place (one at a time) and pushed out. To install the new vent I pushed it up from under the rear quarter panel to just align with the opening, then used pliers to pull the vent into proper position and snap the retaining clips into position. Takes about a minute per side...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts