FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gf just picked up a 2008 Milan. The car seems to have the TPMS since the TPMS warning light lights up when you turn the key on. Now we want to put a set of snow tires and wheels on it and i dont want to have to spend another 300 dollars on another set of sensors. Anyone know any way around this other than pulling the sensors out of her stock wheels to put on the winter wheels?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know the answer, but can't you just put on the new wheels without sensors? TPMS is nice, but not exactly necessary.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my thoughts are that the TPMS light will just be on the whole time the snow tires are on....i'm thinking that it wont really affect anything other than that light being on.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=Slinky link=topic=92875.msg1811715#msg1811715 date=1193415251]
My gf just picked up a 2008 Milan. The car seems to have the TPMS since the TPMS warning light lights up when you turn the key on. Now we want to put a set of snow tires and wheels on it and i dont want to have to spend another 300 dollars on another set of sensors. Anyone know any way around this other than pulling the sensors out of her stock wheels to put on the winter wheels?
[/quote]

Hi Slinky. :wavey: Here is a possible inexpensive solution.

If the TPMS warning light illuminates when you replace the wheels and it bothers you, look in the Owners Manual for the Fuse Box Diagram. Find the fuse for the TPMS system. Is it a "dedicated fuse" (powers only the TPMS)? If it is, pull the fuse while the new wheels/snow tires are on. This will disable the warning light.

When you replace them with the OEM wheels in the spring, replace the fuse.

Of course, if it is not a dedicated fuse, this will not work, as you would be disabling other features.

Let's hope for the best. Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good idea...i'll have to look into that....or i'll just throw a piece of black tape over the light :p

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm pretty sure the dealer could go into the CAN system and disable the TPMS. It's just an on/off switch somewhere in the software of the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just found out her car doesnt have the sensors....i guess she knew this last week but she forgot to tell me. She works for the dealership she got the car at (also owned by her family) so she had one of the guys look it up.

·
Registered
619 Posts
???? If it's a 2008 it has TPMS, I don't care what the dealer says. If the warning light comes on, it has TPMS.

They may have been looking for an option code, but it's not optional.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well there has to be something some where, other than the light, that gives me a straight forward answer as to if it has TPMS.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The light is the straight forward answer. But it should also be on the window sticker under safety/security. You could also check the owner's manual in the tire section where it should say "Your vehicle has been equipped with a TPMS system" (pg 176). Of course you could always drop some air out of the tire and see if the warning comes on.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
From '07 and up model years it is a federal law for your car to have the tire pressure sensors. So she does have them in the car. I don't think a tire shop would charge you much to swap them out for the winter.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Most if not all Fords equ. with TPMS I believe use band sensors. You would pretty much need to cover the cost of new bands and the labor to change them all over. I would ball park around $50-80 give or take.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll probablyjust drop the pressure in one of the tires and see what happens. I wonder what pressure they are set at to come on? I'll have to call down to the dealership and see what kind of price her cousin can do on the sensors.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
The trigger point is set @ 25% underinflation on any tire. Bands cost about $15-20 bucks each depending on who you get them from. I have seen sensors on Ebay for about $100 + Shipping. Reset procedures can be found in your owners manual.

·
Registered
619 Posts
[quote author=larryinfl link=topic=92875.msg1822954#msg1822954 date=1193861781]
From '07 and up model years it is a federal law for your car to have the tire pressure sensors. [/quote]

From 05 to 07 model years, federal law only stated that a certain percentage of a company's cars must have the sensors. So the 07 Fusion didn't have them but anything produced after September 1, 2007 must.
I also don't think it will be as cheap as you think to swap the sensors. To do so requires new bands on the new wheels, and swapping the sensors requires dismounting the original tires. With that much work, it would be cheaper just to buy new sensors rather than dismount/remount both sets of tires every 6 months. Of course they still need to be taken to a dealer or someone with the scan tool to be reprogrammed.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Fords can be reset via the stock radio. To take the sensors out of the OEM wheels you do not "need" to dismount tires completely. You can break the top bead and compress the tire together to get to the sensor. I would also agree that it would be easier to buy sensors and have them installed in your other set of wheels.

Its it a $8 or $10 dollar change per mount / dismount on 16'/17' wheels @ any Discount Tire (Price varries by region)

·
Registered
58 Posts
According to Ford they DO NOT recommend switching to NON-Ford wheels because of issues with the TPMS system. Also, ALL 2008 veh are required by law to have TPMS, you cannot simply deactivate the system for temp use. You may however drive with the light on if you wish. The sensors are very expensive $135 for 1 band and 1 sensor. That is just parts, no labor. Also your light will go on when there is 2lbs of air pressure difference between the highest and lowest pressure tires on your car. The following is a direct quote from the 2008 Fusion/Milan/MKZ shop work manual:

NOTE: The tire pressure sensors are not designed to be used with aftermarket wheels.

NOTE: The use of run-flat tires (tires with steel body cord plies in the tire sidewall) where not originally equipped, may cause the TPMS system to malfunction and is therefore not recommended.

Verify the customer concern by inspecting the vehicle and observing the message center (if equipped) and the TPMS indicator.
NOTE: The valve-mounted TPMS sensors and the strap-mounted TPMS sensors are not compatible. Swapping wheels from one vehicle to another with the different systems will set a TPMS fault.

NOTE: Swapping wheels between vehicles with the same tire pressure monitoring system will cause a TPMS fault to be set if the sensors are not trained. Refer to Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Training in this section.

NOTE: Non-OEM modifications made to the vehicle may result in false TPMS warnings.

Inspect to determine if one of the following mechanical or electrical concerns apply:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can see millions of consumers driving around with the dash warning light for TPMS on. Hell, I did it recently with a rental car for a week in Myrtle Beach. Even if you check your tires religiously, the light is still bound to come on occasionally due to the myriad of conditions that cause tire pressure to increase or decrease. What a waste of precious money and effort. I say if you want to get aftermarket wheels - go for it - with no sensors. Who cares if the TPMS works or not. It's basically useless anyway.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I wouldn't say it's useless -- just a major pain for anyone wanting aftermarket wheels/tires. We can probably thank the "Ford/Firestone Exploder fiasco" for this new mandate in the first place.

I think the system has it's benefits. I had TPMS on my 04 Freestar. The light came on, I stopped the walked around. Each tire appeared to look OK. I reset and drove on. After awhile, the light came on again. When I got home, I checked the air. One tire was down to 19 lbs. I had a nail/slow leak.

I have heard of a few methods to try -- if you don't want the idiot light:

1. Mount all 4 sensors in your spare (if they fit). This most likely works best on full-sized spares.
2. Place all sensors inside a PVC pipe. Seal and pressurize. Place somewhere in your vehicle. (I'm unsure if this has ever worked for anyone -- it was just mentioned on another Forum I frequent).

I highly doubt any TPMS system has a dedicated fuse.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts