FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm currently modding my 2018 ford fusion and I'm looking for vortex generators that will actually fit and work. can you guys help

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
Hey I'm currently modding my 2018 ford fusion and I'm looking for vortex generators that will actually fit and work. can you guys help
Hi bdiv and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. As far as ones that "fit", I will leave that up to others.

Concerning ones that "work"? On regular, street cars, "Vortex generators" are strictly cosmetic and do not "work". Road speeds are too low for them to do anything. Plus, they need to be aerodynamically designed specifically for a particular vehicle, not just generic aftermarket pieces stuck on a car or spoiler. They will do nothing to help fuel mileage, aerodynamics, etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi bdiv and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. As far as ones that "fit", I will leave that up to others.

Concerning ones that "work"? On regular, street cars, "Vortex generators" are strictly cosmetic and do not "work". Road speeds are too low for them to do anything. Plus, they need to be aerodynamically designed specifically for a particular vehicle, not just generic aftermarket pieces stuck on a car or spoiler. They will do nothing to help fuel mileage, aerodynamics, etc.

Good luck.
i am looking for ones that are designed for a fusion so that they will actually achieve what they are made for and redirect the airflow for the right speeds.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
i am looking for ones that are designed for a fusion so that they will actually achieve what they are made for and redirect the airflow for the right speeds.
Hi bdiv. Sorry if my answer was confusing. There are none. No company has or is going to spend the money to wind tunnel test 4 door family sedans for high speed aerodynamic aids. Or for that matter, almost any non-high performance road car.

There is no justification for the engineering, design and manufacturing costs, since there is not a large enough market to sell to and make a profit. And if there is no market, there is no profit. And no profit motive means no one will spend the time and money to design/engineer/manufacture it.

The ones you see on essentially all non-high performance/non-supercars are only cosmetic add-ons.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi bdiv. Sorry if my answer was confusing. There are none. No company has or is going to spend the money to wind tunnel test 4 door family sedans for high speed aerodynamic aids. Or for that matter, almost any non-high performance road car.

There is no justification for the engineering, design and manufacturing costs, since there is not a large enough market to sell to and make a profit. And if there is no market, there is no profit. And no profit motive means no one will spend the time and money to design/engineer/manufacture it.

The ones you see on essentially all non-high performance/non-supercars are only cosmetic add-ons.

Good luck.
Do you think i could possibly request a custom one from a company or should i just focus on other things

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
Do you think i could possibly request a custom one from a company or should i just focus on other things
HI bdiv. You can certainly try if you like, but I would highly recommend you focus on other things.

Here are a few reasons: First...Do you have any idea how much time and money go into aerodynamic testing? No company is going to design, engineer, test and manufacture a low sales volume, "Custom" vortex generator for a 4 door family sedan. If you get anything, it will be a generic piece that will not be "custom", will not be aerodynamically tested and will do nothing to help the aerodynamics of your car.

Second...no "vortex generator", custom or generic, will do anything to help your vehicle aerodynamics, speed, fuel mileage etc. Bottom line is that street cars are not driven at a high enough speed to need "vortex generators". Your first post asked for vortex generators that will "work" on the Fusion. There is no such thing for regular street cars. On regular street cars, they are simply for looks (for those who like that look).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts