FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has dealt with vibration issues on their wheels/rims? I am taking my 400 mile old 2008 SEL V6 with Sport Appearance Package (18" rims) to the dealer for a shimmy/vibration issues at 70-80mph tomorrow morning. It's enough that I can "see" the steering wheel shimmy back and forth a bit. It's annoying...

I'm a bit worried about it b/c I had these issues on another car and had to battle the dealer to the bitter end. Finally, they replaced the tires and it went away. They used that approach with the Hunter Road Force balancer. What an ordeal that was...

Anyways, hopefully it's a simple balance and I'm out of there. Anyone else have these issues? Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=shumax link=topic=91746.msg1781042#msg1781042 date=1192409365]
Who here has dealt with vibration issues on their wheels/rims? I am taking my 400 mile old 2008 SEL V6 with Sport Appearance Package (18" rims) to the dealer for a shimmy/vibration issues at 70-80mph tomorrow morning. It's enough that I can "see" the steering wheel shimmy back and forth a bit. It's annoying...

I'm a bit worried about it b/c I had these issues on another car and had to battle the dealer to the bitter end. Finally, they replaced the tires and it went away. They used that approach with the Hunter Road Force balancer. What an ordeal that was...

Anyways, hopefully it's a simple balance and I'm out of there. Anyone else have these issues? Suggestions?

[/quote]

Hi shumax. :wavey: As you have learned through experience, it is most commonly a matter of incorrectly balanced wheels/tires. If you see/feel it through the steering wheel, then obviously it is a front wheel or wheels.

Less common, though not as uncommon as many people believe, is an out of round or defective tire. It happens with new tires more often than you would think.

You are doing the only thing you can do, take it to the Dealer and have them inspect and repair the problem. Offer to go for an inspection drive with the Service Technician or Service Adviser, so that you can show them exactly what you are concerned about. Be polite (I'm sure you would have anyway, without my prompting), they didn't build the car. :frantic:

Should be a simple fix. Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Exactly as said above. Have them all ride-matched (road force) Tell them to measure the rim run-out of every wheel, you want them all under 8lbs of road force, and repleace the tires if needed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I've been down this path before. I just hope it goes smooth. I admit that I am sensitive to vibrations, but my Ford 500 was smooth for over 60k and even had a new set of tires mounted -- smooth as silk. There is no reason the Fusion can't be the same with 18" rims.

My dealer doesn't have a Road Force Machine, so we'll see how that goes. I know that several of the Discount Tire Co. around me do have them; however, this should be "free" since the car has 429 miles on it as of today. If I go to them, I am going to have to pay for it.

I'll let you know how it goes...
Shumax

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Its $10 dollars a tire @ Discount, If you do pay to have it done tho. Actually go stand in the back room in the shop and watch them do it. Nothing over 8-10lbs or road force, and have them check rim runout on every wheel to see if you need to have any replaced at ford. Hope it all works out, keep us posted.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I agree as well, a good road force balance should help. The Fusion is generally insensitive to out of balance tires, so yours are likely off a lot. One possible cause is that you may have a very early 08. When Ford builds a new model year they typically batch up a bunch of them and then they sit at the plant for several weeks until they're sure they quality is good. Unfotunatly at Hermosillo this means they sat out on the blacktop under 120 degree sun, which could easily flat spot the tires. Try to see if your dealer can find out the actual build date and the date they received it to see how long it might have been sitting in the sun.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took it to Ford and they balanced the tires. The manager came out and said, "good to go." He smiled and said, "smooth as silk -- all the way to 100mph :shock:" I asked, did you take it on the highway. He winked and said "no," and I don't lie. I wasn't sure what to make of that, but I was a bit concered about my 560mile old car going 100mph :x Anyway, I drove off and hit the highway. Guess what? shimmy still there...

I drove to Discount Tire Company and told them what was going on. They did what I thought they would -- suggested the Hunter Roadforce machine. They charge $60 to do this. Just Tires wanted $100 :shock: I let Discount go to it since they've been good to me in the past. Over an hour later, here's the verdict:

Front Right -- Force was 12lbs. Inside weight 0.0oz. Outside 1.0oz
Front Left -- Force was 11lbs. Inside weight .75oz. Outside 1.0oz
Right Rear -- Force was 8lbs. Inside weight 0.0oz Outside .75oz.
Left Rear -- Force was 13lbs. Inside weight 1.0oz Outside .75oz

They told me the "force" was actually far less than normal, which they said was around 18-20lbs. They also said that the weight they put on was very minimal -- .75-1.0oz is basically nothing. What I liked the most was their honesty. Since they didn't remove a tire from the rim and "spin" it, they just charged me for a regular balance. Nice touch b/c they "had" me there...

I took the car onto the highway and it's smoother, but I still feel a very slight pulsing when I accelerate and when at higher speeds. I am sensitive to these things, so I am now wondering if it's a cross b/t my sensitivity to "vibrations" and the fact the suspension on this car is stiff and the wheels are large (18") with little rubber b/t the road and the rim = lots of road feedback into the steering wheel.

I'm going to do my best to get use to it and see how things go. I do find it interesting that Ford balanced them and then Discount did them over and it got better! I do know that Ford did something to them as the weights were in slightly different spots on the rim.

So, that's all she wrote...

Over and out...

Shumax

·
Registered
619 Posts
If it vibrates significantly more while accelerating then coasting, it could be related to halfshafts and CV joints. Those Road Force numbers are very good, so there's not much more you can do with the tires. If it still really bothers you, see if you can talk your dealer into letting you take out a similar car to see if it does the same thing.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
All in all it looks like pretty good numbers, I would have pushed for 10 and under on the road force machine however. Keep us posted if you have any other problem with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts