FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, boys and girls, the moment we have all been waiting for....

K&N called me today and asked if I was interested in testing a CAI for the V6 SEL.

They said they were going to try and test fit a Mazda 6 CAI.

I explained to them the MAF was in the wrong spot, but they think it will work.

Instead of keeping it for a week, they said it would only be for one day; drop it off in the morning and pick it up in the evening.

I told them I had exhaust and the programmer, they said the exhaust was cool and I would need to return the car back to stock programming.

They assured me it would not be abused and was more or less to see if it fits.

They said if it fits, I can have it.

Has anyone tried a Mazda 6 CAI on the V6?

Are they crazy to think it will fit?

Let me know...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now that I am looking at their website, they dont even list a 2006 Mazda 6 CAI, just a drop in filter.

Hmmmmmm......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Keep us posted as to how it goes Monday - have K&N send me an order form - I can't wait for the CAI to be available!

·
Registered
440 Posts
The position of the MAF may not be that important, since its a slot in sensor. Its a matter of if it has the same calibration in the fusion and the Mazda. They will find out on the dyno I assume.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
100 posts!!!

Bob, will I need a new tune when/if I get the CAI?

·
Registered
596 Posts
how long you think it'll take them to get the CAI into production?? We've all being waiting for SOO long...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, just got back from K&N to drop off the car.

They said to call them around 3pm (PST) today to see how its going.

They said they may need it over night, but I will keep everyone posted as soon as I get it back.

I will also ask them when they will hit the stores.

It supposed to be the same on on a Mazda 6, so it may not be too long before you all can buy one...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bad news everyone!!!!

They just called me and told me it wont work.

The Mazda CAI does not fit, due to the changein the MAF sensor design.

I tried to explain that to them when I dropped it off, but you know how engineers are.

Anyways, they a taking pictures and documenting how it is laid out and will start on a new design and they will want my car for a week next time to do the dev on it.

SUCKS!!!!

I was hoping to have a new toy to show off...

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I think they are just toying with us! Well hopefully they will have one developed soon!

·
Registered
596 Posts
[quote author=Chris06Fusion link=topic=60654.msg1041131#msg1041131 date=1162246634]
I think they are just toying with us!  Well hopefully they will have one developed soon!
[/quote]
Ditto.

·
Registered
53 Posts
? is now are you gonna lend them ur car for a week for us to get a CAI finally... 2nd year now a see sema fusion but hardly any of the parts to actually buy... isent there enough intrest out there to mod fusion's?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I just got home from picking it up...

I spoke to one of the engineers for a little bit and got the scoop.

First off the MAF sensor is different from the Mazda one, we all knew that and I tried to explain that to them when I dropped it off.

Secondly the big issue is, will it sell?

He said they make one for my car, but it may never come to market due to the possibility of it not selling well.

He then said they were going to get a Zephyr and a Milan to see how easy it would be to make on that would work on all of the cars to widen the sales on it.

I explained to him that the engine compartments were essentially the same and that one would work on all of them.

He said they would contact me when they have done a little more research on it and let me know when the would want to keep it for a week.

Who knows when that will be.

Oh well, at least they know I will let them use my car for development if they need it.

I will keep everyone posted as soon as it comes up again.

Maybe some other company will beat them to market on it...

·
Registered
297 Posts
:shock:

What a load of #$%& ?

They make one for a PT crusier, but now they question if it would sell for the Ford Fusion ? Make it and they (we) will buy....... :lol:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
'Swut I said, I told them there was a whole forum of people waiting for me to report back and that most likeley every single on would buy one.

I'm sure they want to sell thousands of them, not just hundreds...

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'll wait until I see some dyno charts of a Fusion with a CAI before I buy one. It is not uncommon for a CAI, while having decent peak gains, to actually LOWER hp in the midrange, causing an overall loss in performance. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
True, hwm3. That happened in my SVT Focus when I installed an AEM Long Tube CAI that sucked air from under the front drivers fender. It lowered the torque, but the high-RPM gain was very impressive. Since the SVT had decent torque anyway, I got one and enjoyed the screamin' RPM gain -- where the SVTF was it's best...at the redline!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I agree with you Swoop, it would just be harder to keep the Fusion in the higher RPMs since it's an auto tranny. We really need that low-mid RPM pull.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts