FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ford Fusion SE V6 AWD is getting really bad gas miliage. It gets about 15mpg averaged from mostly highway and some city driving. I'm curious what could be wrong.. I know 2mpg is from my driving.. but when I drive like an old lady I get 17mpg... I'd like to enhanse it, by getting mods like the following, but there has to be a reason why ford doesnt put it on their cars automatically... So whats the truth behind them... will they void my warrenty, or kill my car.. or do they work?
One of them gets upto 31% more gas miliage, and upto 35% better horsepower.. the other adds 18 horsepower, and gets atleast 7-12mpg..

Thanks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270126111659
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...5QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33597QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=zekep link=topic=79298.msg1455712#msg1455712 date=1180804163]
... but there has to be a reason why ford doesnt put it on their cars automatically... So whats the truth behind them...

Thanks

[/quote]
If these toys really worked, all manufacturers, not just Ford, would be installing them on their cars. They are a waste of money, a gimmick.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then why do these people selling them have such good reviews?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Placebo effect. Also if they leave a bad remark they they'll get a bad one back. Notice that they both give guarantee but they charge way more for shipping then it actually costs and won't refund you the shipping or pay for return shipping. If you returned it you would spend more $$ on shipping then on the actual item.
Oh, BTW 17mpg city in the AWD is good.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
On mythbusters last night they tested the myth of improving your gas mileage by staying behind a semi while you drive. The results were very surprising. MPG went way up. Following behind by 100 ft alone gave them 11% increase in MPG and it went much higher than that as they got closer.

:lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
im gonna try this...

when my SEL AWD finally comes in im just gonna floor it all the time i figure a 3.0 cant do much worse than 14 mpg so if ppl are getting 14 while takin it easy why not just go all out.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Re: im gonna try this...

[quote author=xlover link=topic=79298.msg1470013#msg1470013 date=1181265059]
when my SEL AWD finally comes in im just gonna floor it all the time i figure a 3.0 cant do much worse than 14 mpg so if ppl are getting 14 while takin it easy why not just go all out.
[/quote]

Sounds like a novel approach. I'll be interested in what kind of results, miles per gallon, you get. Be sure and let us know how you make out driving it that way.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I drive my fusion like a crazy mofo and I still get 14mpg and its the same when I drive like an old man (rare)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a AWD fusion myself and im getting close to 23mpg atm mainly with highway driving, but i do have to go through town and red lights etc... for about 1/3 of my drive to and from work.

when im full highway doing 75-80mph i hit 27mpg...

my fusion just hit 9500 miles also.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2wd fusion v6. What I have noticed is that it's not really if you floor it or drive like grandpa off of the line. If you ask me, the car is more efficient when at say 3/4 throttle because it is trying to get you into the power curve for most power (most efficency). The problem comes into play when you have to start off from a stop alot, that is what kills the mpg. I find myself cussing the other drivers when I am forced to slow down because I know that I am loosing mpg when I have to accelerate back to crusing speed. It really helps when you can play the lights and try to judge then from a far distance so that if you have to stop, you have actually coasted to a stop. I remember being 1/2 mile away from a 4 way stop where at least 8 cars were lined up. I simply let my foot off the gas and coasted to the stop and there were still 2 cars in fromt of me. I gained the mpg by coasting and lost some when I came back to speed but the 2 canceled each other out and as an end result I never lost any mpg. Remember though that as much as you play the stop light game, you will probably not be able to time it all the time and will end up cursing yourself or the light. That dang mpg gauge is addicting. Hope that helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts