FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to trade in my black on black leather fusion se V6 for something more economical and easier to keep clean. i am looking at a new fusion se I4 in silver and a 15K 2007 camry se in very rare but my favorite all time color of sky blue metallic. I know the camry will probably be as much or more than the new fusion which also has a moonroof to boot. but, i love the look and color of the camry. is the I4 fusion engine a good engine? I am a ford man at heart, but am openminded. any advice? btw, my fusion is like new with 7,000 miles on it with the new reflash. yeah, it's pretty fast but sucks gas as well- 20mpg average in city. 32 on the highway though. main reason to trade is the color. if my fusion was silver, I'd keep it. but also, the new 2007's have mp3 hookup, side/curtain airbags, etc.

·
Registered
443 Posts
You're gonna get killed on the depreciation, but that being said, I'd go for the Camry. Personally, I never want to have the same car twice. I like variety too much. I'd trade my Fusion for something new if I hadn't just bought my wife a new minivan (yuk).

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, I know I won't get my money back, but I am used to that. I am hoping to trade for $4000 at most. they're asking $21900 for the camry which is high retail. Clean trade in according to NADA for my fusion is $16000. The thing is, they have 4 of these blue SE's in stock along with a red and a grey one, all used. It's the end of the month as well, so I'm hoping to get lucky.
I really like the fusion and would buy another one, it just wouldn't be another black one. silver is the color I would get. I can get the Xplan on a new fusion as well, so it would push the cost down to around $18500 on the one I am looking at. the fusion seems more realistic. each time i walk into a toyota dealer with my anything but toyota automobile, i feel like I should stop and take a lashing just to enter since I don't already own a toyota. it's like they think their products are that superior. I do love that blue colored camry se though. but is it really that much better than a new fusion?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Go with the Fusion. Personally, I love the black Fusion...I own one myself. While it requires time to keep clean, I feel it's worth it because black vehicles always look the best. As far as styling, there's no comparison between the Fusion and the Camry...everyone owns a Camry and they really don't stand out from the pack. I'd pick the Fusion because it is distinct and I'm not an import guy.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
BTW, the I4 has a reputation for being a solid, dependable, long-lasting engine. There are lots of people at www.bobistheoilguy.com that will tell you the same thing. Screw the Toyota fanbois. I remember a time when you got laughed at for owning an import. I miss those days.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Funny, I have been thinking about trading in my 06 black Fusion for an 08 silver, but decided to wait until the 2009's are out. I am also tired of black.

Oh, but really I don't think 20mpg city is bad at all for the V6! When I drive all city in my I4 manual, I am lucky to average 24mpg. And I have never pulled down 32mpg on a tank even when mostly driven on the hwy.

My combined city/hwy average is only around 26mpg.

Sure you don't want to wait another 15 months and try out the 2.5L 2009 Fusion? It should be available for a sneak peak at the Detroit Auto Show.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I rented a Camry 4 cylinder 2 years ago...they are sooooo boring! There is nothing about the previous generation Camry that I find attractive from the driver's seat, but it did knock down some pretty good mpg figures on my trip from Phoenix to Sedona and back.

[quote author=mtl1977 link=topic=81692.msg1522763#msg1522763 date=1182999174]
Can't we charge Camry drivers with treason?

[/quote]

·
Registered
613 Posts
I see a lot of used 2007 Camrys for sale now. I dont see that many Fusions for sale. I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that I don't think these newer Camrys will hold nearly as much value as they have in the past. The user reviews on all the major sites show that new Camry owners are disappointed. Test drive them both and see what you think.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I live in Iowa and have had my 06 Fusion SE 4cyl auto for almost 1 year. When my wife and I were searching for a car, we drove an 07 Camry for 2 days (a 4 cyl auto LE) and I was woefully disappointed in that car. Perhaps the SE versions of the Camry drive and ride better, but I'd be hard pressed to leave the Fusion family. That said, if you're trading mostly for an improvement in fuel economy, be prepared to be to accept about a 20% improvement at best. If I was shopping today versus last year I'd seriously look at the AWD 4cyl for improved winter driving dynamics. And, although I'd love the V6, the 4cyl is quite adequate and works well, but be sure you can tolerate its noise level. Good luck and report back!

·
Registered
477 Posts
[quote author=snowman1 link=topic=81692.msg1523716#msg1523716 date=1183040335] If I was shopping today versus last year I'd seriously look at the AWD 4cyl for improved winter driving dynamics. And, although I'd love the V6, the 4cyl is quite adequate and works well, but be sure you can tolerate its noise level. Good luck and report back!

[/quote]

If your talking about AWD 4 cyl Fusion, I don't think thats available and I didn't think an AWD camry was either.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=BlackI4se link=topic=81692.msg1523762#msg1523762 date=1183041474]
[quote author=snowman1 link=topic=81692.msg1523716#msg1523716 date=1183040335] If I was shopping today versus last year I'd seriously look at the AWD 4cyl for improved winter driving dynamics. And, although I'd love the V6, the 4cyl is quite adequate and works well, but be sure you can tolerate its noise level. Good luck and report back!

[/quote]

If your talking about AWD 4 cyl Fusion, I don't think thats available and I didn't think an AWD camry was either.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
[/quote]

You are quite correct, BlackI4se. AWD is not available yet in either a Camry or Accord and is only available in a V6 Fusion. Boz

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently got to drive an 07 Camry when a friend got use of one while his Corolla was being repaired. I dont know what all the fuss is about them, it was like driving an old Buick Century to me. It was nice to be back in my Fusion after that!

Late

·
Registered
702 Posts
[quote author=iowaguy link=topic=81692.msg1522013#msg1522013 date=1182980270]
I have decided to trade in my black on black leather fusion se V6 for something more economical and easier to keep clean. i am looking at a new fusion se I4 in silver and a 15K 2007 camry se in very rare but my favorite all time color of sky blue metallic. I know the camry will probably be as much or more than the new fusion which also has a moonroof to boot. but, i love the look and color of the camry. is the I4 fusion engine a good engine? I am a ford man at heart, but am openminded. any advice? btw, my fusion is like new with 7,000 miles on it with the new reflash. yeah, it's pretty fast but sucks gas as well- 20mpg average in city. 32 on the highway though. main reason to trade is the color. if my fusion was silver, I'd keep it. but also, the new 2007's have mp3 hookup, side/curtain airbags, etc.
[/quote]

HMM, how hard would it be to trade cars? I'm white on camel with ABS and Side Curtain AirBags and auto

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I went and test drove the Camry SE I4 tonight. First of all, these 4 very hard to find baby sky blue ones are all SE's with 4's. I first test drove a Fusion I4 SE, and needless to say, there is no way I could go from V6 to I4, it just had no power. The Camry otoh, was worse. It was very slow. But my gosh, that blue SE Camry is just plain sweet looking, but not for me.
I went back and found a silver SE V6 with no additional options stickered out at $22K flat. I'm gonna try and buy that one tomorrow. Coincidentally though, my 3.0 2006 SE registered 24 mpg on the way home through city driving. Maybe it's finally breaking in. I gotta have silver though, the black is driving me nuts.

On a side note, I was really surprised with the Camry's build quality. The SE with the side moldings (ground effects) had huge gaps and warps across the front and rear bumpers and the interior plastics were easily scratched, also no door moldings. The V6 of my Fusion is spewing of power, the I4's in both cars were granny caliber in terms of power and showed no improvement in mileage.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
iowaguy, I'm glad you are staying with the Fusion. Perhaps you should go to the Toyota forums and explain to them just how woeful the new Camry is.

BTW, was this the I4 auto that you drove? I find my manual is a nice, peppy engine. I'm sure it will be more than adequate when my custom tunes are finally in my hands.

·
Registered
619 Posts
So if I'm reading all your numbers correctly, you're about to dump about $6000 to change to a car that's essentially the same but a different color. For that much money, you can get a pretty fine paint job on your current car and still have enough cash left over for a big screen.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Iowaguy,

Sounds like you've decided already, hope you enjoy the Camry. It's a best selling car for a reason, resale value, fit and finish, and quality are always great things to have. To answer your question about the Fusion I4, I believe it's the same engine found in my wife's Mazda 3. The 2.3 pulls the Mazda quite well and from reading other forum discussions, Fusion I4 drivers are quite happy with their fuel mileage and overall performance especially when mated with the maual tranny.

Good luck with the deal!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote author=Waldo link=topic=81692.msg1527175#msg1527175 date=1183129529]
So if I'm reading all your numbers correctly, you're about to dump about $6000 to change to a car that's essentially the same but a different color. For that much money, you can get a pretty fine paint job on your current car and still have enough cash left over for a big screen.
[/quote]

nah, not that much difference in price. I went and drove this car today. Obviously it drives quite a bit like mine since it's the same car and drivetrain. But, I do think the 2007 shifted better and I have had that one pcm reflash but maybe there's a new one since. The silver birch is beautiful imo. We made a deal and I will pick the car up tomorrow, saturday. I got a pretty good deal. I bought with the X-plan and the difference was $4100, not bad for a year old car. Yes, I will lose money, leather, abs, and traction control. But look what I gain- the color I originally wanted, didn't care about the leather as it just happened to be in the car I bought last summer. I thought it was cold last winter and it's hot already and it's not really summer. I have yet to see traction control kick in, and have never come close to using the abs. The cloth seats felt firmer and more supportive. My '06 didn't have the side-curtain and seat mounted airbags and that always bothered me. If you check the 2006 Fusion's crash test ratings without these, the results are horrid. Now, for 2007, if your Fusion was built after January, they've made it so that these airbags discharge even in head on collisions. The ratings for Fusion now are good. They've also reinforced the plastic "ramp" by the footfeed to make that stronger for foot protection. The changes are not noticeable if you don't know what they are, but to me, they're huge and worth the difference. The silver will be much easier to keep clean, the car will be a lot safer, and it's got an MP3 hookup which is also nice. Having the car painted would be ridiculous. Painting a black car silver or even light blue would turn out awful and be worth a lot less down the road. Well, that's my story. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.