FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if i could remove the catalytic converter without getting a check engine light coming out? :bash: I spoke to the man at the muffler shop he said he could :huh and I would not get one unless my catalytic converter had a senor in it. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks

Mario

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Re: Can I Remove The Catalytic Converter Without Getting A Code~!!?

Yeah, but he could theoretically run an 02 sim or what I call "ghetto" sim (spark plug defouler drilled out) and avoid a light.

However, I'm not a fan of removing emissions control equipment. Not a greenie, but just don't think it's worth the 2-5 hp gain you'd get from it.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

I do not think you would gain anything by removing it. The 4 cyl needs back pressure to make power and tourqe and if you remove the cat you are getting rid of alot of back pressue. On my 98 Neon with the 2.0 DOHC i lost HP and TQ on the dyno after i took the cat off. i ended up putting a high flow cat back on and gained it back but still pulled the same #'s as stock. The cats on most newer cars are very good for performance most of the time you do not need to upgrade them unless you are boosting and need to run larger pipe.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts

[quote author=slaterracing link=topic=93369.msg1824682#msg1824682 date=1193925927]
The 4 cyl needs back pressure to make power and tourqe and if you remove the cat you are getting rid of alot of back pressue.
[/quote]

He has a V6 :)

Still, think it's a bad idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hey fatabbot, How exactly do you use a spark plug defouler? Im thinking about going to remove the catalytic converter but im unsure :?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hey Slater where exactly is our o2 sensor I tired looking for it around the converter and I can't find it if you could help me out. Thanks!
Mario

·
Registered
58 Posts

In most states that require DEQ compliancy tests removing the cat is illegal. Just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Here where I’m from we don’t receive emissions tests so I guess as long as we don’t have a change of laws here I’ll be fine :banana:

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

[quote author=mario_0916 link=topic=93369.msg1826191#msg1826191 date=1193966709]
Here where I’m from we don’t receive emissions tests so I guess as long as we don’t have a change of laws here I’ll be fine :banana:
[/quote]

if i remember right there are 2 o2 sensors both are in the exhaust manifold

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

lol........I love his disclaimer that this is not for use on "street legal" cars. Hmm.....kind of cuts your market WAY DOWN!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

lol yeah it does well that’s... that I cant buy it! :loco: well on a serious note do any of you guys know if I go ahead and remove the converter and not put on those O2 sensor adaptors I now know the check engine light will come on but will it affect anything else performance wise? Or is it just the little annoying light? I’m going to purchase them I just want to remove the converter already to see how its going to sound!! :agbullet:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Hey Cisco according to that website am I reading incorrectly or does it say that its illegal to add a turbocharger? Just curious :shock:

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

[quote author=mario_0916 link=topic=93369.msg1826546#msg1826546 date=1193976689]
lol yeah it does well that’s... that I cant buy it! :loco: well on a serious note do any of you guys know if I go ahead and remove the converter and not put on those O2 sensor adaptors I now know the check engine light will come on but will it affect anything else performance wise? Or is it just the little annoying light? I’m going to purchase them I just want to remove the converter already to see how its going to sound!! :agbullet:
[/quote]

you will get a check engine light without a doubt. as for perfomace gain or loss in my exp you will get a loss in tourqe for sure do to the loss of back pressure in teh exhuast. You may pick up a few HP at the very very top end but i doubt it. Leave it on or just replace it with a hi flow cat.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts

Hmm... in short, do not waste your time. Want more sound... buy exhaust, muffler, or something of that nature!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I removed the catalytic converter today! I'm running straight pipes to the back and now I don’t know what to do... this is my problem I got no check engine light come on that’s good! But at high revs the exhaust seems to make a nasty tone umm I can’t even compare it to anything other than that it sounds great at low revs! :( Now my question out there I know I’m going to have to put in a muffler or glass pack... but what do you all recommend I use?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Kind of sounds like you started to "rice out" at the higher revving......is this just speakers or is that really true? If so, then adding a Magnaflow muffler at least would probably help.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts