FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are relatively standard plants that have been used in many FoMoCo applications.

Duratec 30, 3.0L V6 putting out (in this application) 210 HP and 200 ft-lb torque. 4 vales per cylinder. PZEV.

Duratec 23, 2.3L I4 putting out 160 HP and 150 ft-lb torque. 4 vales per cylinder. ULEV II.

What Ford says about the engines:

DURATEC 23 I-4

The Duratec 23 I-4 delivers 160 horsepower and 150 foot-pounds of torque. An inherently efficient design that has proven its durability, the world over, in a wide variety of vehicles; this engine is expected to earn a highway fuel-economy rating in the low 30s with either the manual or automatic transmission.

To enhance efficiency, the Duratec 23 features Charge Motion Control Valves in the intake runners – similar to those found in the powerful F-150 pickup – to boost torque and improve combustion at low engine speeds. To reduce vibration, the inline four cylinder employs hydromounts in two positions – at the engine and the roll restrictor. It also has sump-mounted balance shafts for increased smoothness.

The exhaust system on the Duratec 23 uses a single muffler and dual tailpipe tips, designed to reduce backpressure.

DURATEC 30 V-6

The Duratec 30 delivers 210 horsepower and 200 foot-pounds of torque, paired with a standard six-speed automatic. This powertrain combination leads the class in acceleration during passing at freeway speeds. It's expected to be about a second faster than cars in its competitive set from 55-75 mph, and it records 0-60 mph times in less than 8.5 seconds.

The Duratec 30 V-6 has hydraulic mounts to isolate engine vibration, movement from the vehicle's chassis and to level out gearshifts. Hydromounts are filled with viscous fluid that is pumped from one internal chamber to another in response to the powertrain's movement.

The powertrain is suspended using three hydro-type mounts in a pendulum-style array above the engine within the front chassis structure, versus the more common "cradle" system in which the engine rests upon its mounts. The geometric placement of the mounts helps to isolate various forces acting on the engine and transmission so that the mounts can be tailored to absorb specific types of vibration.

To further refine engine character and improve durability, both engines feature deep-skirted engine blocks. The Duratec 30 also uses a front engine cover made of a sheet metal "sandwich" to absorb sound through what is known as constrained layer damping.

The exhaust system – dual exhaust pipes behind the catalyst fitted with dual mufflers – provides a 10:1 ratio of exhaust volume to engine displacement to slow the flow of exhaust gases, resulting in a velvety, sophisticated exhaust note. The induction system features an electronically controlled communication valve to adjust its effective internal volume based on speed and load, contributing to consistently desirable sound levels.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The third engine is, of course, the hybrid powertrain. Little is known about this yet, except that it should be similar to that used in the Escape, and be based on the Duratec 23.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Duratec 23 is built at Chihuahua Engine Plant in Mexico.
Aluminum block&head
Composite dual runner intake manifold
Cast iron & steel Exhaust manifold
Cast iron crankshaft
DOHC
Redline @ 6,800RPM
9.7:1 Compression ratio
[email protected],500 RPM
[email protected],000 RPM

Duratec 30
Built at Cleveland Engine Plant #2 in Ohio
Aluminum block&heads
Composite intake manifold
Cast iron exhaust manifold
Steel crankshalf
Redline @ 6,550
DOHC
[email protected],250
[email protected],750

·
Registered
4 Posts
quick question, is the new 2.3 and 2.0 duratec like the honda b or k series, do the heads transfer? honda usually had it set up that the smaller head would flow better but would bolt up to the bigger motor. just out of curiosity would this apply at all with these motors??????

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a clue... they're basically the same engine, but the 2.3 (at least in the case of the Mazda6) uses VVT, the 2.0 does not. And of course, has slightly more displacement. Is the fusion offered in a 2.0 anywhere?

·
Registered
4 Posts
not to my knowledge, everything ive read it seems that the 2.3 is the way to go as far as engine options go, at least until the 3.5 hits the floor, does any one have engine dimensions like deck width and the block dimensions just to compare the two.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take this with a grain of salt, because it has been a lot of time since I've looked at the engines much, but I think they're basically the same engine, block, etc. I don't have the specifics on them onhand.

·
Registered
580 Posts
In looking at a comparison between the engine specs of the Ford 500 and the Fusion 3.0 V6, we have to note that the horsepower achieved on the 500 is at a lower rpm (203 hp @ 5750 rpm) and the Fusion (221 hp @ 6250 rpm) and it is also notable that the 500 achieves max. torque at a lower rpm ( 207 ft.-lb. @ 4500 ) and Fusion’s max. torque is at a higher rpm ( 205 ft.-lb. @ 4800 rpm ). The real tail to the clue is the emission output, which gives the nod to the 500 for cleanliness. In analyzing this data, it may appear the Ford got a little more aggressive with the cam timing, on the Fusion.

Milan Owner

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=Draxas_VP link=topic=23639.msg569872#msg569872 date=1139253552]
Any word on whether the 3.5L will find its way into the Fusion? It would be a nice option....
[/quote]

Well I know it was widely expected in the 2007 timeframe, but I haven't seen anything about it recently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We've got about 10 3.5's at work for assesory drive testing, catalyst testing and trans shift testing. Not up to date on the 3L duratecs but it looks exactly like it from the top(intake, heads,.... but was :klavergreg: around work and happened to find one badged Special Test 3.7L, hmmm.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Then there will be a 4th engine the 3.5 liter. Its got 250 hp and 240 lbs torque. If they put it in the Fusion it should really go. Im told the Tranny is good for 300 hp with any modification. If that s true, and a fusion with near 300 horse ,then sign me up!!!!!!. This engine is the same size as the 3.0 mazda engine so it should fit the car no problem

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote author=FutureOwner1 link=topic=23639.msg603100#msg603100 date=1141401052]

Then there will be a 4th engine the 3.5 liter. Its got 250 hp and 240 lbs torque. If they put it in the Fusion it should really go. Im told the Tranny is good for 300 hp with any modification. If that s true, and a fusion with near 300 horse ,then sign me up!!!!!!. This engine is the same size as the 3.0 mazda engine so it should fit the car no problem
[/quote]

Yes, that's the 3rd engine we've been talking about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts