1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
840 Posts
Pretty bland writeup. It's all based on personal preference.

I prefer to have the fader on +1 toward front, treble +3, bass +1. There is NOTHING wrong with having a strong front stage. The Sony HU actually does a good job at prioritizing the front stage over the rear. When you're at a concert are you standing with your back turned towards the stage? No. A sound stage should come from in front of you. Rear speakers are for movie theaters, and rear passengers.

I actually wish the tweeter pods were aimed a bit more forward to keep my ear from getting pulled towards the passenger side.

For a factory 12speaker stereo it's nice... but I have a feeling I'm going to be changing things soon.

·
Registered
375 Posts
"There is NOTHING wrong with having a strong front stage. When you're at a concert are you standing with your back turned towards the stage? No. A sound stage should come from in front of you. Rear speakers are for movie theaters, and rear passengers."

Exactly. Listen to a car that is set up to compete in a sound quality competition. 99% of the time there are NO rear speakers at all (except a sub or two). The soundstage is the most important aspect. A car set up to according to the way IASCA judges sq is amazing. If done right, you can pick out where the individual members are on the "stage". Until you hear it, then you just can't imagine it. The sound seems to go beyond the boundaries of the windshield and "A" pillars. No a car set up with a nice 5.1 surround sound system for movies is another thing. The rear speakers are necessary then. I currently have my rear speakers in the doors powered off my Alpine headunit just in case I have rear passengers. They are never on otherwise.

·
Registered
840 Posts
[quote author=platinumsc7 link=topic=155231.msg3315962#msg3315962 date=1252438553]
"There is NOTHING wrong with having a strong front stage. When you're at a concert are you standing with your back turned towards the stage? No. A sound stage should come from in front of you. Rear speakers are for movie theaters, and rear passengers."

Exactly. Listen to a car that is set up to compete in a sound quality competition. 99% of the time there are NO rear speakers at all (except a sub or two). The soundstage is the most important aspect. A car set up to according to the way IASCA judges sq is amazing. If done right, you can pick out where the individual members are on the "stage". Until you hear it, then you just can't imagine it. The sound seems to go beyond the boundaries of the windshield and "A" pillars. No a car set up with a nice 5.1 surround sound system for movies is another thing. The rear speakers are necessary then. I currently have my rear speakers in the doors powered off my Alpine headunit just in case I have rear passengers. They are never on otherwise.
[/quote]

Amen. I haven't had rear speakers in a vehicle till just now. But they are faded right out. Little tweaking with the stock tweeter placement, and replacing the front speakers might do wonders for the stage. It will be a nice winter project. I'm going to try and do as much as I can with the stock HU.

·
Registered
371 Posts
There's not much you can do with the stock head unit. They have a pre-determined EQ curve that you cannot modify directly. The EQ setting simply work off of that curve to make minor adjustments. The curve also changes with volume. Anything below ~250Hz attenuates once you get to just about 1/2 volume. An MTX Re-Q, JL Cleansweep, Alpine Imprint, AC Matrix, or a RF 3.Sixty would help, but they all cost way more than a new radio, and they all suck to live with. Most of them require that you set the HU volume, and never touch it. You have to use the volume on the unit itself. Change the volume, and you have to reset everything within the system, which is not a quick simple process. They all take ~1 hour to tune properly, and most of them require a laptop, and the 3.Sixty can be programmed with a BT-enabled Treo/Palm device with RF's software on it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well replacing the stock headunit on my 2010 is pretty much out of the question. I would need to modify the trim plate extensively to fit a single/double-din headunit. Ford integrated the headunit into the design of the panel.

·
Registered
375 Posts
[quote author=BowDown link=topic=155231.msg3335520#msg3335520 date=1253623708]
Well replacing the stock headunit on my 2010 is pretty much out of the question. I would need to modify the trim plate extensively to fit a single/double-din headunit. Ford integrated the headunit into the design of the panel.
[/quote]

Give it a few months. The new Focus has the same set up and they make a whole new center panel that you just unscrew all the stuff from the old piece and install it on the new one. The new panel comes painted and has a hole for a regular head unit to fit into. I think Metra and Scosche both make the Focus panel so I'm sure a 2010 Fusion panel is in the works.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Anyone know where the factory amp is on the 2010 sony fusion? I'm going to doing some wiring exploring sunday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts