FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
09 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will be replacing worn out, leaky valve cover gaskets. Figured I'll change spark plugs too while I'm in there, car is at 208k miles on factory installed plugs. Also had a P0133 come up recently for O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1, so both upstream O2s will get replaced at the same time.

I got the Motorcraft spark plugs that are recommended (platinums)... but not sure they are pre-gapped. I checked all 6 and there is a slight variance of about 0.1mm, but close to 1.4mm

Ford says it should be 1.32 - 1.42 mm
What would be the best gap?

Thanks

·
Administrator
6,125 Posts
So I will be replacing worn out, leaky valve cover gaskets. Figured I'll change spark plugs too while I'm in there, car is at 208k miles on factory installed plugs. Also had a P0133 come up recently for O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1, so both upstream O2s will get replaced at the same time.

I got the Motorcraft spark plugs that are recommended (platinums)... but not sure they are pre-gapped. I checked all 6 and there is a slight variance of about 0.1mm, but close to 1.4mm

Ford says it should be 1.32 - 1.42 mm
What would be the best gap?

Thanks
Hi Justin.The Owners Manual for the 2009 Fusion states the spark plug gap for the 2.3L I-4 should be 0.049–0.053 inch (1.25–1.35 mm).

And plugs for the 3.0 V-6 should be gapped to 0.052–0.056 inch (1.32–1.42 mm).

Do not assume they are correctly pre-gapped. If you have the V-6, just be sure they are all gapped to a figure within that 1.32-1.42mm range.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
09 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good. I'll shoot for 1.4mm since they are all already quite close to that.

Think the hardest part will be the O2 sensors, since, those are most likely to be stuck due to rust. At least getting the old ones out anyway! The new ones should go in nice and easy with a little dab of anti-seize as long as the threads don't get all boogered up while taking out the sensors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts