FordFusionClub.com banner

TSB 07-2-1 (Key Stuck in Ignition)

52K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  biggee72 
#1 ·
http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43dafb42mc9a58637/bc/Fusion+TSB+PDF+Files/tsb07-02-01(Key+Stuck).pdf?BCLrkZGB_ILQw1Ui

FORD: 2006-2007 Fusion
LINCOLN: 2006 Zephyr
MERCURY: 2006-2007 Milan

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2007 Fusion, Milan and 2006 Zephyr vehicles built before 9/4/2006 may exhibit a customer concern of the ignition key getting trapped or a shifter slider binding condition. Most of the key trapped conditions are caused due to a binding shifter button which does not allow the pawl to contact the park detect switch.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

#5 ·
[quote author=RymanH24 link=topic=66869.msg1148069#msg1148069 date=1168723636]
No...just kind of went away after a while.
[/quote]
Lucky you. I had this key-stuck-in-the-ignition problem with my 2000 Focus (after it was out of warranty, of course) and the dealer charged me something like a hundred bucks to replace a plastic bushings in the transmission shifter, grease it and adjust it. Rip off.

Since there is a TSB on this problem, I would check into it. The Focus problem started out as a random thing but eventually got to the point when the key would not come out of the ignition switch at all. Boz

#8 ·
[quote author=ciscoford23 link=topic=66869.msg1148819#msg1148819 date=1168769869]
Most of the key problems on the Focus required replacing the cylinder and sometimes we had to drill them out. Very common.
[/quote]
Cisco,
I didn't even know about TSB's at all when the key-stuck-in-the-ignition thing happened to me and besides, they blamed it on the transmission lock-out function. At least they fixed it. Never had the problem again but I probably got ripped off. It seemed like it at the time. Boz

#9 ·
Mine had this happen the other day and I didn't think twice about it, but now today I can't get the freakin' thing out.

Have an appointment for Monday.

#10 ·
Just got it back from the dealer and all works like it usually did.

#11 ·
happened to me. they replaced the shifter ......works fine now.

#12 ·
Hey all,

I just had this happen and didnt read the forum before I fixed it. My problem was that a plastic tab broke off the beauty ring around the shifter button and was jamming the path of the button. Once I dug the broken piece out it worked like new.

Here are some pictures:

Shifter w/ beauty ring removed: (you can remove the ring by gently prying at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions)

Next, the button: (it can be removed by sticking something through the holes at the top and bottom:

Once I got that off, I saw the broken piece of plastic, removed it, and all was well.

The ring itself:

What it should look like:

And the broken side:

#14 ·
Thank you 'thedave'.

Mine broke too just like yours (two months out of warranty, lol).

For the people reading this thread and have not yet rectified the issue ( using the second car key FOB to lock the car for example) ... engage the parking brake once the car is parked or the car may roll.

#15 ·
[quote author=awdpath link=topic=66869.msg3818531#msg3818531 date=1286325954]
Thank you 'thedave'.

Mine broke too just like yours (two months out of warranty, lol).

For the people reading this thread and have not yet rectified the issue ( using the second car key FOB to lock the car for example) ... engage the parking brake once the car is parked or the car may roll.
[/quote]

Talk to your dealer immediately. That close to out of warranty with a known problem and they might be able to get it covered as a goodwill repair. It is well worth asking.

DO IT!

#16 ·
Thank You THEDAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just had same problem. I searched and found this thread. One of the tabs on the little beauty ring was broken at the same spot than on your picture above. I removed the 2 screws that hold the selecter lever knob, removed the selecter knob itself, and found the remaining piece of the plastic tab that was jamming the shift release button. Re-assembled everything, and back on the road !!!!!!!!!!

#17 ·
Reply No. 11 with pictures---Thanks for the post! My key was stuck and I was picturing big bucks to get it fixed. But did just what you said. Ring was broken. Removed button and probed inside with small screwdriver without any luck, so I gave the shifter a smack, and out flew the little bit of plastic. And my key was freed. I can't help but wonder how many people buy a new shifter or shift knob when all it is is a little piece of plastic. Thank-you for this info!

#19 ·
thedave, that was exactly it, It was such a blessing to be able to find this forum but to be able to put what you posted to use and it worked! Thank You so much. I actually could not get the key out of the ignition and I took two jewlers screwdrivers and got the ring off.

THANK YOU thedave! much appreciated

-chefpk48

#20 ·
My car is just over 5 years old with 130,000 miles. Without warning, my key got stuck in the ignition last night. I figured out rather quickly that there was an issue with the shift knob and drove the car home. Finding this topic made me realize how easy of a fix this was. Both of my tabs were broken off and I managed to get the broken tabs out of the shifter. Everything is back to normal. Thanks for the info and the pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.