Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FORD: 2006-2007 Fusion
LINCOLN: 2006 Zephyr
2007 MKZ
MERCURY: 2006-2007 Milan

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2007 Fusion, Milan, 2006 Zephyr and 2007 MKZ vehicles equipped with a roof opening panel and built on or before 11/18/2006 may exhibit a water leak in the rear center of the headliner. This may be due to water leaking from the roof opening panel glass frame area, into the inner channel of the roof opening panel seal frame.

ACTION:
Remove the felt tape and clean the roof opening panel glass frame. Perform this procedure inside the vehicle. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So if mine has the tape, but no leak, is it ok to leave it there or should I just remove it as a precaution? This looks like something anyone could do themselves.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Reached up to close interior roof shade earlier and noticed that the area around the handle was wet. It has been raining here all day. Roof channel appeared dry though. Remembered seeing this TSB here, went and checked and lo and behold, felt tape, soaking wet felt tape. Removed slick as a whistle. Hope that does the trick. Would anyone have any idea why the tape is there in the first place? Just curious?

·
Registered
108 Posts
We've had these before come in and we figured out it was the tape soaking up water b4 they released this tsb. No idea why it's there it serves no purpose. Only thing we could figure is they put it there to pad the roof when it was laid in during assy. /shrug.

If you roof is not leaking take a look at that felt after it rains see if it is not soaking up water and wet. If so it will eventually rain enough it will leak there so might want to go ahead and take it off. Like I said it has no purpose at all for functionality.

·
Registered
198 Posts
OK - so my car did leak for the first time this weekend and so I removed the tape. It was soaking wet. I hope this fixes the problem.

So, are these moonroofs designed to leak on purpose? Why does the rain even get past the weather stripping around the glass? I can see there is a little shield to catch the water and if the tape gets wet - the water might drip out beyond the shield. Where does the water that gets deflected by the shield end up, anyways?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks. It's pouring here today, so we'll see if the tape fix worked or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts