FordFusionClub.com banner

TSB 07-12-10 (Door Glass Slow/Scratches)

11K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  bbf2530 
#1 ·
FORD: 2006-2007 Fusion
LINCOLN: 2006 Zephyr
2007 MKZ
MERCURY: 2006-2007 Milan

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2007 Fusion, Milan, 2006 Zephyr and 2007 MKZ vehicles may exhibit slow glass movement or vertical door glass scratches on the driver and passenger front doors. This may be due to the door opening dimension between the inner and outer door panels being too tight.

ACTION:
Refer to the Service Procedure to correct the condition.

#3 ·
[quote author=Cueball link=topic=80316.msg1618019#msg1618019 date=1186494945]
Has anyone here had this done? My car goes in Thursday for scratches on the drivers window and some brake pulsation. Warranty is almost up.
[/quote]

I haven't had this done but I do have brake pulsation. Please let me know the outcome on the brake issue.

#4 ·
The glass issue has been repaired. The dealer replaced the molding, hopefully adjusted the tolerance and replaced the drivers door window. It sounds much better while going up and down - no more screeching.

As far as the brakes go, they lightly machined all 4 rotors while on the car and it has cured the problem - at least temporarily.

#11 ·
I don't have any scratches, but I do have a noise from the driver window when opening and closing. I have tint, but the noise happened once or twice before, but has started to become more frequent with the recent change in weather.

Sounds like a trip to the dealer....

#14 ·
i am having the same problem, i have excessive scratches on my driver side window, and i recently just got my windows tinted, and once i started to roll up and down the driver side window it started to scratch it up....will they have to replace the window...???and what about the tint considering there defect/problem caused it to get scratched????....again it seems to be only problematic on the driver side window

#15 ·
so are they supposed to relace the windo or what because my car is at the dealer right now getting this problem fixed, and all he sadi was that they fixed the problem but couldnt fix the scratches...i need a answer asap so i can deal with them.....and my windows are tinted as well.......

#16 ·
[quote author=zephyrhills link=topic=80316.msg3239476#msg3239476 date=1248203520]
so are they supposed to relace the windo or what because my car is at the dealer right now getting this problem fixed, and all he sadi was that they fixed the problem but couldnt fix the scratches...i need a answer asap so i can deal with them.....and my windows are tinted as well.......
[/quote]

Hi zehyrhills. :wavey: This is the problem: An auto manufacturer is not responsible for problems or damage that may occur to/ or due to any modification which alters the way the vehicle was sold to you.

The problem here is that you have modified the window glass by adding tint to it.

So according to our Warranty, if the tint did not cause the problem, then Ford will be responsible for fixing/replacing the glass and correcting whatever caused the problem. But they are not responsible for replacing or repairing the tint.

The Warranty stipulations are clear, they are not responsible for fixing or replacing the tint.

That does not mean that they won't, it just means that they are not required to.

Maybe they will be nice and do it anyway, but they are not required to. It is an aftermarket modifications and an automaker is not responsible for those types of repairs. So if anything, be nice to them and see if they will be nice to you.

You can read your Warranty rights and coverages in the Warranty Guide Booklet which was given to you when you purchased your car (if you purchased new).

If you purchased used, you can download a copy of your Warranty Guide here: www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp Fill in the drop down boxes, the click "Submit". Then click on "Warranty Guide". You will see that you can also download your Owners Manual and Scheduled Maintenance Guides there.

Keep in mind that I do not make the law or enforce them, I am simply interpreting the rules to answer the question. So if anyone disagrees with their Warranty coverages, please contact Ford.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :cheers:

#17 ·
thanks for the heads up, i dont mind replacing the tint at all, there just giving me a hard time about replacing the window, apparently they think it has to do with the tint which is bs becuase the scratches are on the out side of the window, and they where already there before the windows where tinted just not nearly a visable, you can actually feel the scratches if you run you fingernail across them ...theres like 10 good verticle scratches...i may have to talk to a service manager, the problem seems to be only with the driver side, after i talked to the service manager today he said they fixed the problem but didnt replace the window, i am furious right now, i think im going to print this page and take it in to the service manager

#18 ·
[quote author=zephyrhills link=topic=80316.msg3239733#msg3239733 date=1248211871]
thanks for the heads up, i dont mind replacing the tint at all, there just giving me a hard time about replacing the window, apparently they think it has to do with the tint which is bs becuase the scratches are on the out side of the window, and they where already there before the windows where tinted just not nearly a visable, you can actually feel the scratches if you run you fingernail across them ...theres like 10 good verticle scratches...i may have to talk to a service manager, the problem seems to be only with the driver side, after i talked to the service manager today he said they fixed the problem but didnt replace the window, i am furious right now, i think im going to print this page and take it in to the service manager
[/quote]

Hi zephyrhills. :wavey: I am trying to help you , but you may want to read my reply again, carefully. It does not exactly bolster or back your case for getting the window replaced.

This is a point that some of us here try to stress, but get grief here anyway from certain members anyway: Once we modify a certain part or area of our car, we place ourselves in danger of having Warranty claims concerning those parts denied. This is clearly spelled out in the Warranty Guide. An automaker is only responsible for the car (exactly as) as they sold it to us. Not as we decide to modify it.

Okay, let's deal with trying to solve your problem now. Who have you spoke to, the Service Writers or the Service Manager? Try to speak to the Service Manager. Also, see if they do window tinting there for new cars. If they do, ask how it is that your tint caused a problem but theirs does not. If you get no help there, speak to the Dealerships General Manager. No matter what, be polite. As a last resort, you can also call Ford Customer Relations and ask them to open a case file for you.

Bottom line is that your case is one of those borderline ones that can go either way. So you need to convince them that they will make more money in the long run (future service and car sales) if they satisfy you now. But in the end, you can't get mad if they do not cover the cost of the tint. According to the New Car Warranty, even the window scratches are not their responsibility if the window has been modified (in this case, tinted).

Keep us updated.

#20 ·
exactly as said i could care less about the tint, i can pay to get new tint no problem however the window has to be covered under warrenty regardles if i tinted it or not, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out the scratches are on the out side of the window and that adding tint will in no way cause that problem....period....

#21 ·
[quote author=zephyrhills link=topic=80316.msg3240407#msg3240407 date=1248235499]
exactly as said i could care less about the tint, i can pay to get new tint no problem however the window has to be covered under warrenty regardles if i tinted it or not, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out the scratches are on the out side of the window and that adding tint will in no way cause that problem....period....
[/quote]

Hi zephyrhills. :wavey: Hey, I am on your side. However, you have to understand that your coverage limitations are explained clearly in the Warranty Guide Booklet. I am not saying that the glass will definitely not be covered. I am also not saying that it will be covered. No sense in me or anyone else speculating about that.

I am simply trying to let you know that you need to approach this in a polite manner with the Service Department.

If you approach it with a "the window has to be covered under warranty regardless...you're going to fix this under Warranty...period" attitude, you may not like the results.

Deal with the Service Manager, as I explained earlier. Then take it to the next level if necessary.

Also, I have another question: When was your car first put into service? The New Car Warranty is good for 3 years/36,000 miles. While you only have 28,000 miles, how much of the 3 years do you have left? The clock started the day the first owner drove it off the lot.

Let us know what happens.

#22 ·
ok so heres the update, i did have to get a little agressive to show that i was upset, it was a last resort but it was necessary, so long story short thei window and molding is getting replaced and they adjusted it so it wont happen again. only thing i have to do is pay to get the window re tinted but they said if i write to ford i may be re imbursed, not a big deal though since its gonna cost me only 30-40 $ max

#23 ·
Does anyone think they would cover this for my 2009 Fusion?  About a month after I bought the car I noticed a vertical scratch running the length of the drivers door window. I think it just scratched my tint but am not sure. (The tint was installed by the dealer before I bought the car)

I've had the car for six months now and figured it wouldn't be something covered under my warranty, until I read this. Any ideas?

#24 ·
[quote author=BigEasy18 link=topic=80316.msg3255122#msg3255122 date=1248969209]
Does anyone think they would cover this for my 2009 Fusion? About a month after I bought the car I noticed a vertical scratch running the length of the drivers door window. I think it just scratched my tint but am not sure. (The tint was installed by the dealer before I bought the car)

I've had the car for six months now and figured it wouldn't be something covered under my warranty, until I read this. Any ideas?
[/quote]

Hi BigEasy. :wavey: The best advice I can give is to call your Dealership and make a service appointment. Then bring your car in and let them diagnose the problem. In most circumstance it should be covered, but we can't tell over the Internet.

The fact that the Dealer did your tint is a plus, since they can not claim you or another shop did something which caused the scratches.

If your car is still within the 3 year/36,000 mile New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty (you are obviously within the 3 years) then it should be covered.

And just as an FYI: Never assume something will not be covered under Warranty. Defects in materials or workmanship not caused by something the vehicle owner (or another person) may have done are usually covered (a simplified explanation, of course). The Warranty is there for a reason, so you may as well use it when necessary.

Let us know how you make out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.