FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are going to replace the VAN (01 Windstar Sport)

We want (and will be getting) a 2008 Fusion SE

We will be getting the 4cyl 5spd... my wife and I both like to shift
most likely be Red. and I want the Moon and Tune package.

Had a chance to test drive a 2007 SE with 5 speed... I must say, I liked it a lot...
Shifted better than expected and in standard form... I was impressed with it's handling (of course coming from the Mini-Van to a Fusion... hard to compare)

Trying to decide on the SE (with the wheels from Ford 17" Painted Black Aluminum Wheels)
or
The SE with sport appearance package (18")

I am assuming that the 18" will ride a bit rougher since it will lower profile tires and an improved suspension.
I am wondering if we would be money ahead to go ahead and get the S.A.P.
get a cool interior and big wheels
Any thoughts?

we do have an opportunity to get an SE with SAP in an 2007....
I'm thinking I'd like the 2008 better

Has anyone seen a 2008 with the S.A.P.?
Anyone have one?
Pros / Cons?
Pictures?
Worth the price of admission?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Welcome to the board, VStarBob.

I bought an 06 Fusion SEL and have since added Eibach springs to it. In the not so distant future I will also be adding a stiffer rear sway bar, and will also be adding the shocks/struts that the 08 SAP comes standard with.

That being said, I drove an 08 with the SAP the other day when I was there at the dealership. Took it around some mean corners and did some figure 8's in an abandoned parking lot. It handled MUCH better than my stock Fusion with just the Eibachs on it. My Eibachs are better at controlling the the front-to-back and back-to-front body movement on acceleration/deceleration, but the SAP setup is better at rounding corners...............for now!

The ride is rougher than a standard Fusion (but not any rougher than mine with the Eibachs), but I have a feeling that most of this isn't because of the 17" vs. 18" issue...it's because of the stiffer suspension. Anything bigger than 18" and you'll probably be able to tell a difference in ride quality pretty easily. Using the word "Rough" to describe the ride in the 08 with the SAP is almost a misnomer, because the ride in a regular Fusion is so damn smooth that the "rougher" ride in the SAP is still pretty smooth in comparison to some cars that other manufacturers make (like the Altima or Camry...but then again, I'm not being "specific" :)).

You can go to the suspension board and check out a couple of threads that were made there about this very topic.........including pricing if you wanted to buy a regular Fusion and then convert the suspension to the SAP (complete with P/N's thanks to TFP!)

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
[quote author=vstarbob link=topic=91225.msg1768069#msg1768069 date=1191905934]
My wife and I are going to replace the VAN (01 Windstar Sport)

We want (and will be getting) a 2008 Fusion SE

We will be getting the 4cyl 5spd... my wife and I both like to shift
most likely be Red. and I want the Moon and Tune package.

Had a chance to test drive a 2007 SE with 5 speed... I must say, I liked it a lot...
Shifted better than expected and in standard form... I was impressed with it's handling (of course coming from the Mini-Van to a Fusion... hard to compare)

Trying to decide on the SE (with the wheels from Ford 17" Painted Black Aluminum Wheels)
or
The SE with sport appearance package (18")

I am assuming that the 18" will ride a bit rougher since it will lower profile tires and an improved suspension.
I am wondering if we would be money ahead to go ahead and get the S.A.P.
get a cool interior and big wheels
Any thoughts?

we do have an opportunity to get an SE with SAP in an 2007....
I'm thinking I'd like the 2008 better

Has anyone seen a 2008 with the S.A.P.?
Anyone have one?
Pros / Cons?
Pictures?
Worth the price of admission?

Thanks

[/quote]

There arent any real cons except the price. Your ride is stiffer but a better term for it would be "sporty", not stiff. Which is always a good thing.

And 895 for a redone suspension, 18 inch wheels and tires, different grille,new spoiler, and a new interior is a huge deal. At least 2k LESS than what youd pay if you tried to do it all yourself.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Amen Talisman. If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy the 08 SAP and install Eibachs only. I still think there's a need for Eibachs on this 08 SAP but the rest of the suspension seems very solid (i.e. what I'm trying to achieve).

In addition, the $895 gets you an awesome rear spoiler that has an LED third brake light. This would cost almost 700 bucks to have added later on if you wanted JUST THAT part. IMO, for $895 you would be stupid to get it....this is of course if you're not grandma who will be using the vehicle only to go from home to the grocery store and bingo parlor.

I took some pics of the one I drove, but they were with my camera phone and the glare made the pictures ridiculously granulated. While on the way to Sears tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can stop by and take some pics of the 08 SAP that I drove (with a real digital camera).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies....
talked to my local dealer yesterday.... Only one in the region presently... and it's an SEL

we are leaning more towards the SE... not really sure why, other than $$$
the only thing I want that isn't on the SE is the keyless entry keypad (actually, my wife wants it)

But the way we want it optioned goes like this...
SE w/SAP
Red
Moon & Tune
5 spd

I've actually been to three dealers...
my local found and 08 SEL like we want it... but if I insist on a RED SE w/SAP.... I'll either need to change color or order it.
Silver is do-able, but black is a no.... But my wife likes the red and she'll be the driving it most.
and the SAP is an awesome deal for the price.... that is a must!

another wanted only wanted to talk about 07's (he'd found one of those in a RED SE), but the 07 seems to be lacking a few things - 18"'s and spoiler (radio upgrade too), but it was do-able...

and the other one.... only wanted to talk about what he had on the lot.
he'd order, but wasn't overly willing to discuss it....

Presently, not sure what I'm going to do...
Going in to talk to my local dealer (mom-n-pop dealer) tomorrow and see what he thinks...
I've bought 4 vehilces from them and my bro has bought more than that and my parents even more over the years... They'll treat me right and will not sell me what I don't want. And I'll end up getting a fair price. Always have

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the 07 is out.

can't locate an 08 either

so, the next step is ordering...
Wonder how long that will take?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:Dthis morning an 07 SE w/s.a.p. was found in the system... :D

looks like we'll betting one next week.

It's red w/5 spd and a moon roof....
My wife is happy and I am too...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Let me know when you get it - take some pics! I went by the dealership on the way to Sears yesterday and had camera in hand. They had sold the SEL SAP off the showroom floor, and the two 07 SE SAP's that they had on the lot were both gone. They were THERE, but BOTH sold and waiting for make-ready and customer pickup in the back, so I was not privy to them to get pics.

So, no luck for my pics, but that sounds like GREAT news for you!!!!!! Congrats! I bet that SAP will look GOOD on red!! Never seen one in that color yet, so post pics on this thread when you pick it up!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
The SAP is only offered on the '08. The '07 has an I4 package that is similar but not quite the same.

·
Registered
377 Posts
When buying a vehicle get the one you truly will love a year later. Don't go for broke, but stretch your wallet a bit and get all the items you will use and will make the car appearance, powertrain, handling, and improve the drivers ability to drive the vehicle waaay better than stock. Get the one you love.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See Below

I must say... I don't feel we are settling the 07 SE SAP in the least
It is actually what I wanted anyway... the only thing I truly wanted that doesn't come on the 07 is the rear wing.

If we went with an 08 SAP... it was going to be a 4 cyl 5 spd anyway...
Handling is important, but I really thought that 18" were over kill for the car.
But I'm sure they'd been fine.

But I do have to look at this as... it's a family car
It will have a booster seat and a car seat in the back.

Did we need the SAP. NO (but in 07 - it was only a $395 option)
The #1 requirement of the car 5 spd (which gave me a 4 cyl)
Then #2 is the moon roof...

So, sure we could have lived with a standard SE... but this makes the car a bit more special and truly nothing needs to be done to it.

One thing that will be added in the near future will be the keyless entry key pad and perhaps the spoiler (though not the same one from 08)
and if I could dream a little... I'd get the 17" Painted Black Aluminum Wheel Part Number: 7E5Z-1007-C

Pictures will be forth coming...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE trying to decide SE or SE w/sport appearance package UPDATE

:(Well, another change of plans... after preparing myself for the 07 SE w/SAP.... :(
:(The stinky stuff hit the fan!!! :(

Talked with my dealer today and according to him, the 07 has been sold.
At first, I was pissed & I thought maybe he just didn't want to travel 3 hours to get it.
Not the case... he's now going 4.5 hours to pick up what couldn't be found the other day....

So Soon, I (We) will be in the possession of a RedFire 2008 Fusion SE w/SAP.
It will be a 4cyl/5spd, w/moon & tune + sirus, accent lighting

The reason it didn't show in his original search is because of the sirus radio and the lighting (so he says)...
I'm not going to argue... I'm getting my spoiler and 18" rims!

It's going to be a little more money, but it's also going to be what I wanted to start with... + a couple extras... Or I could save a couple hundred bucks and order... best guess was mid-December (Van won't hold out that long)

So, shortly after it arrives... wireless keypad entry and tint on the rear windows will be my only changes (4 now, later k&N and perhaps exhaust).
I would love to tint all the side windows and the rear... but Illinois is cracking down (and has been for sometime) on window tint laws... they don't care how light of tint it is....
So, to play it safe.... I'll only be doing what's behind the driver.

I'm excited!!!!
My wife's excited!!!!!
My 6 year old daughter is excited too (she loves the interior and the lights)!!!!

Pictures are definitely forth coming!!!!!!
Probably not as tricked out as some of the cars here, but it will be a huge improvement from the family truckster.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's coming!!!!! It's coming!!!!!

I've been informed that our new 08 SE w/SAP will be here tomorrow afternoon....
Dealer Prep such will be complete on Friday.

options that I don't really desire, do add up... but I may decide that I can't live w/o Sirus
but the Ambient lighting (while cool) is a complete waste of $$$ for me.

At this point, I'm ready for the car to be here...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
AWESOME.

The only thing I'd do to this in addition to all the other things you mentioned is to actually change those "stiffer" SAP springs to real Eibach springs. Then you'll basically have the setup that I'll end up paying $700 to get!....... :(....holy crap....700 bucks?? WTF am I thinking??? :lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks

if I know me... as I get to know the car....
other changes will be forth coming... (just the way I am) :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I HAVE SEEN IT!

Tomorrow after lunch.... we will be taking possession...

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
congrats on the 08... my 09 SE I4 5 speed with SAP is an absolute blast to drive.. and i agree lighting package is a waste o cash.. unless you drive a lot at night you will never see the thing. The suspension is nice, not to stiff, and handles well. The seats are comfortable, except the headrests which i wish tilted back a bit. Overall, I love it.. Sync is cool, bluetooth is awsome and once i had it tinted i was pleased.. Only plans i have are for perhaps the black center panel with the clock. Hate that FUSION logo in the center of the dash.

enjoy your new whip....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts