FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum as well as other sites regarding HID upgrades. I would like to implement HID lighting on my car because I don't think the stock lights are very good at projecting light at a distance further than the very front of the car at highway speeds. My car has daytime running lights which are legally required and I don't want the HID's running all the time, since the bulbs are so expensive and all. So this leaves me with replacing the fog lights. A few of the articles indicate that the optics in projector hologens are not the same thing as projector HID's so that kills my idea of buying a HID plug & play kit. I have seen many pictures of the results of the plug & play kits and those who take the time and re-align their headlights look pretty good, but compared to stock systems in BMW, Audi and Mercedes Benz, it's like night and day. I have been trying to seach the net without any luck for true HID projector lights to replace my stock fog lights and was wondering if anyone knew who would sell these. I understand that it might not be auto leveling but I can live without this feature. I am looking for a temp of 4500K or 5000K and prefer if the igniter and ballast were built as 1 unit. Thanks for the enlightenment. :lol:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi MNK,

Thanks for the link. From the research the I've done previously, I expected this kind of price and don't mind because I know it will be done right.

·
Registered
143 Posts
No problem. Not only will it be done rite but it will look nice and you will recieve alot of compliments. The performance is out of this world and you will be road friendly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was in the same boat, wanting HID's but needing to keep my DRL's. I put the HID's on the stock fogs. The stock fogs are good projectors, as good as any others IMO. The only issue with the stock fogs is they sit low, so when properly aimed they will not extend much past the headlights in terms of distance. Re-aiming the fogs after HID's helps but you still don't get the distance past the stock headlights. If the fog lights were as high as the stock headlights you would be able to get a longer pattern, but since they are only 17 inches off the ground you really can't get them to extend out past the headlight beam. But with the HID's the amount of light hitting the road is huge compared to the stock headlights alone, if I turn off my HID fogs now it makes the stock headlights look like DRL's in terms of light output comparison. So the amount of light on the road is like night and day difference, plus the beam is much wider too, really helpful in night driving. The beam doesn't go out beyond the stock headlights but it is a big improvement in light output. I can't believe how dim the stock headlights are now that I've had HID's on the fogs. I'm happy with the install on the stock fogs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi JFusion,

Thank-you very much for the tip, it is definitely something I didn't consider. My biggest reason for wanting true HID's on the fog instead of plug & play was to reduce glare for oncoming drivers, but since the fogs are so low, I don't think the plug & play will be a problem for them. I have found a dealer in the area who is selling a Phillips ballast and bulb kit. Next Monday I will stop by my mechanic and get his opinion.

Happy driving!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed a 3000k yellow hid kit in my fogs, and they are great for rain, fog and snow nights and thats the only time i use them,, i agree with jfusion that they dont really extend past the headlights but make a great difference in bad weather,, maybe someday you will see me drive by with my yellow fogs as i see you live in mississauga and i live in the meadowvale area. i shouldnt be hard to spot since i think i am the only one in ontario with yellow foglights, feeling a bit oldschool ,, or maybe just old with yellow fogs ,, oh well.

ken

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the helpful comment. By the way, where did you get your kit from and if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for those retro fogs.

Have a great day

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got mine from devin at thexenonstore for 280usd shipped from the US even tho he is in Brampton ?? they shipped ok, no problems with customs ,,
the make is Prolumen and they have the igniter seperate from the balast,, seem to work good so far ,,, i had the guys at Selective Sound on millcreek installthem since i didnt have fogs on the 2006 SE and i wanted them wired nice like and to a factory switch i got upgraded from the dealer ...so it all looks factory except its not wired through the smartbox or the factory relays under the hood so i can have them on with my highbeams if i wanted to ..

ken

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the info, I certainly appreciate it. The install sounds pretty slick. I read on another post that some people have added extra silicone to protect the connections and such, did you or the guys at Selective Sound do any of this? I just assumed that with these kinds of add on's, the manufacturer would make them to withstand moderate amounts of moisture from rain, snow, washing the car etc. It's funny about receiving a Canadian made product from the States! It's like Bell radar detectors having a location in Mississauga who makes the detectors and ships them to the US but you can't directly buy anything from them, even if you are a non-Canadian resident. I'm going to speak to my mechanic about which brands of plug & play kits he gets and how much he would charge to install. The actual install looks pretty easy but when the car is on a hoist, things are less frustrating to do, especially since the fog lights are lower.

Have a great week-end!

·
Registered
87 Posts
the stock fogs have a very sharp cutoff line of light, so you don't have to worry about glare for oncoming traffic, it is straight as a knife, you just have to adjust the height of the pattern a bit higher than stock settings and it works very well. As long as you don't go crazy high on the adjustment you will be fine. One other reason why I chose to do the fogs as opposed to the headlights, much sharper beam pattern.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts