FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ford Fusion SEL 2.5L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2012 ford fusion sel 2.5l fwd. According to carfax it had a trans fluid change at 86,000 miles and mentions flushed too. Right now it has 126,000 and I checked the fluid and it looks clean. It may have been changed, but not reported. Can anyone look at a picture of the color of the fluid and let me know if it looks like new fluid. According to online recommendations it should be changed about every 30,000 miles to keep the internal filter from clogging.

I don't want to change it if it's very clean. Another question... When do the spark plugs get replaced. I haven't own another vehicle since I bought a 2003 dodge caravan and technology changes.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,839 Posts
Hi idanny. Welcome to the Ford Fusion Club! If the transmission fluid was last changed/flushed at 86,000 miles (maybe) and your Fusion currently has 126,000 miles, I would recommend changing/flushing it now, if for no other reason than the peace of mind that you will know when it was changed and that the correct fluid is in it.

Plugs should be changed at 100,000 miles, so those are past due (if not changed previously). And I would recommend staying with the Motorcraft plugs.

If you do not have the hard copies, you can download the Owners Manual/Maintenance Schedule and other Owner Guides here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/

I would also recommend you register on the Ford Owner website, located here: https://owner.ford.com/?gclid=EAIaI...wcid=AL!2519!3!267771591272!e!!g!!ford owners

The correct specifications for all fluids, plugs etc., etc., are all located in the Maintenance and Specifications section of the Owners Manual.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I usually go 60k miles on the plugs, ford recommends 100k miles.

Ive done a drain and fill of Mercon LV on my 2014 2.5l fusion 3 times now. I did it twice when i first did it at 70k miles since a drain and fill only gets out like 60% of the old fluid. You just do one drain and fill, drive a week, then do your 2nd drain and fill.

I did a drain and fill at 100k miles a few months ago and fluid was nice and red (which is what you want). I hear if you change the fluid every 30k miles you only have to do the drain and fill once. Since i waited till 70k miles before it was black and I probably should of done the drain and fill 3 times (though twice was sufficient, Mercon LV aint cheap).

When you pour in 4.5 quarts of new fluid and get the fluid up to temp you need to get the car on the highway so the fluid gets up to 175F-200F. I used a thermometer when i removed the leveling plug (while car is running) when i drove on back roads for like 10 minutes. Temp was only like 110F. The leveling needs to be done after like a 25 minute drive on the highway.

Whats nice with your 2012 is you have a dipstick and easy access to fill fluid. My 2014 has no dipstick and its tough to reach down to remove the fill plug since its inside the engine bay.

The drain bolt on the bottom of the pain, when removed, should be cleaned of the old white thread sealant used (i used brake cleaner and wire brushes). Apply new thread sealant and torque bolt down to 106 inch pounds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually go 60k miles on the plugs, ford recommends 100k miles.

Ive done a drain and fill of Mercon LV on my 2014 2.5l fusion 3 times now. I did it twice when i first did it at 70k miles since a drain and fill only gets out like 60% of the old fluid. You just do one drain and fill, drive a week, then do your 2nd drain and fill.

I did a drain and fill at 100k miles a few months ago and fluid was nice and red (which is what you want). I hear if you change the fluid every 30k miles you only have to do the drain and fill once. Since i waited till 70k miles before it was black and I probably should of done the drain and fill 3 times (though twice was sufficient, Mercon LV aint cheap).

When you pour in 4.5 quarts of new fluid and get the fluid up to temp you need to get the car on the highway so the fluid gets up to 175F-200F. I used a thermometer when i removed the leveling plug (while car is running) when i drove on back roads for like 10 minutes. Temp was only like 110F. The leveling needs to be done after like a 25 minute drive on the highway.

Whats nice with your 2012 is you have a dipstick and easy access to fill fluid. My 2014 has no dipstick and its tough to reach down to remove the fill plug since its inside the engine bay.

The drain bolt on the bottom of the pain, when removed, should be cleaned of the old white thread sealant used (i used brake cleaner and wire brushes). Apply new thread sealant and torque bolt down to 106 inch pounds.
Just ordered 5 qt of Mercon LV and 4 SP-530 Motorcraft Spark plugs with dielectric grease for the boots. Will be picking it up soon from Advance auto. It doesn't seem that complicated, but will take my time to make sure I don't over fill the transmission fluid.

Bbf2530 had a good point... I don't know what fluid the place that service the vehicle used. I don't think spark plugs have been changed either. Better to be on the safe side. Hopefully after doing these service I will see performance improvement and fuel efficiency increase.

Question: The transmission shifting has a little delay in the first couple of gears and is most noticible when engine is cold. I was told this was normal on the Fusions. I think I read somewhere that it has a manual transmission controlled by the computer.... Not sure if that is true. Could be they didn't use Mercon LV when fluid was changed and that affects the performance. Is the slight delay shifting normal?

Thank to everyone who replied and will reply once everything is done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi idanny. Welcome to the Ford Fusion Club! If the transmission fluid was last changed/flushed at 86,000 miles (maybe) and your Fusion currently has 126,000 miles, I would recommend changing/flushing it now, if for no other reason than the peace of mind that you will know when it was changed and that the correct fluid is in it.

Plugs should be changed at 100,000 miles, so those are past due (if not changed previously). And I would recommend staying with the Motorcraft plugs.

If you do not have the hard copies, you can download the Owners Manual/Maintenance Schedule and other Owner Guides here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/

I would also recommend you register on the Ford Owner website, located here: https://owner.ford.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsqmK0sHx7gIVSrLICh3Q5w_JEAAYASAAEgI7Q_D_BwE&searchid=160581195|13270894275|&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIsqmK0sHx7gIVSrLICh3Q5w_JEAAYASAAEgI7Q_D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2519!3!267771591272!e!!g!!ford owners

The correct specifications for all fluids, plugs etc., etc., are all located in the Maintenance and Specifications section of the Owners Manual.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
Question: The transmission shifting has a little delay in the first couple of gears and is most noticible when engine is cold. I was told this was normal on the Fusions. I think I read somewhere that it has a manual transmission controlled by the computer.... Not sure if that is true. Could be they didn't use Mercon LV when fluid was changed and that affects the performance. Is the slight delay shifting normal?

·
Super Moderator
5,839 Posts
Hi idanny. A slight delay can be normal during cold operation. That is why it is important to drive slowly and easily until your engine/transmission/fluids come up to full operating temperatures. Also, keep in mind that we can't feel what type or how long of a delay you are experiencing, so we can not tell you if what you feel is normal or not.

Concerning your "...manual transmission controlled by the computer..." question: Not sure exactly what you mean. Are you referring to the ability to shift your automatic tranmission manually, using either (not sure what your 2012 has) the manual shift paddles on the steering wheel, pushing/pulling the shift lever, or pressing the button on the shifter? If yes, then I assume they were referring to the fact that you can shift your automatic transmission manually.
This information is all explained in the Owners Manual. Again, if you don't have your hard copy, you can download the PDF version using the links I supplied above.

Hope this information helps and good luck.

·
Registered
2012 SEL 2.5
53 Posts
Danny
there are some good videos on youtube. There is a guy called fordtech he's really good about explaining all
persuaders.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just replaced the spark plugs and put some dielectric grease on the boots. I drained the transmission fluid, put some thread sealant on the oil plug and put it back in. Then I pour 4qt of Mercon LV, ran the engine to running temp, shifted to each gear and stopped on each for 5 seconds down and back up. Check oil level and added some more fluid. Took the car for a ride and when I came back it still needed more fluid. Put more fluid and took it for another drive.... When I came back it was still needing more fluid. I ended up putting the rest of the 5th quart and its getting closer to the full line. So it took 5qts of Mercon LV.

I will run the car tomorrow and check the level again and hopefully it will be at the full line. I really doubt I would need to pour more. I did notice the car shift better and more smoothly. Not sure it it had to do with the new oil or both new oil and fluid was at the proper running temp.

I did notice the bottom plastic cover was missing the round lid that covers where the motor oil drain plug is located. Not sure if its something important to keep water from getting in there. Should I get a replacement or it is not of any significance?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guessing you don't have the owner's book or you would know how much fluid to put in.
If you don't have one google it
I do have the owners manual. But what I did was a drain and fill for the transmission. If it was completely flushed it takes 9qts. Since I drained and fill.... It's never an accurate amount of fluid.

I followed a YouTube video and followed every step to make sure I don't over fill. Other have done it and it can take from 4.5 to 6 qts depending on how much drained out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are some good videos on youtube on this topic.
Yes, I watched plenty of videos. Will be checking the fluid level tomorrow after a drive and engine warm. I think the 5 quarts that I put of Mercon LV were enough. I just didn't have the time to recheck the oil again. I will be doing it tomorrow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi idanny. A slight delay can be normal during cold operation. That is why it is important to drive slowly and easily until your engine/transmission/fluids come up to full operating temperatures. Also, keep in mind that we can't feel what type or how long of a delay you are experiencing, so we can not tell you if what you feel is normal or not.

Concerning your "...manual transmission controlled by the computer..." question: Not sure exactly what you mean. Are you referring to the ability to shift your automatic tranmission manually, using either (not sure what your 2012 has) the manual shift paddles on the steering wheel, pushing/pulling the shift lever, or pressing the button on the shifter? If yes, then I assume they were referring to the fact that you can shift your automatic transmission manually.
This information is all explained in the Owners Manual. Again, if you don't have your hard copy, you can download the PDF version using the links I supplied above.

Hope this information helps and good luck.
Just watched this video that may explain the slight delay in shifting. Although the shifting seems to have improved after the transmission oil change... The video explains that it can be caused by the TCM having memory of the previous owners driving habits. This makes a lot of sense and it cannot be reset by disconnecting the battery.

I will find out how to reset the TCM driving record with Forscan app.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts