FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I DRIVE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION.

That said, whenever I am coasting (in neutral) at speeds over 60mph and proceed to shift into 5th gear (from neutral), there is this God-awful grinding sound before clicking into gear. Past that, it sounds fine.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Upshifting is fine if I shift (from coasting in neutral) into 4th and THEN to 5th, but the Fusion doesn't seem to want to go directly into 5th without putting up a fight.

Thanks,
SBT

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
[quote author=smallbigtall link=topic=90971.msg1762203#msg1762203 date=1191632653]
I DRIVE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION.

That said, whenever I am coasting (in neutral) at speeds over 60mph and proceed to shift into 5th gear (from neutral), there is this God-awful grinding sound before clicking into gear. Past that, it sounds fine.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Upshifting is fine if I shift (from coasting in neutral) into 4th and THEN to 5th, but the Fusion doesn't seem to want to go directly into 5th without putting up a fight.

Thanks,
SBT
[/quote]

Hi smallbigtall. :wavey: I figured I would answer since no one else had yet.

I am going to apologize ahead of time, because it seems I give the same answer so often when people ask these "Is it normal", "Anyone else have this problem", type of questions. But, it is the best answer, because it does not matter if anyone else is having the problem, you are.

So, please understand that I am not being a wise guy when I say, this is not normal, and you should make an appointment to have your Dealer check and service your Transaxle ASAP. Unless you do an unusual amount of driving, you should still be under warranty (3 years/36,000 miles).

I am curious. Why are you "coasting" in neutral, not in gear, at 60 mph (or faster) so often? Unless you are in some sort of "High Mileage Contest", your car should be in gear at those sorts of speeds. You do not have full control of your car when you are coasting in neutral.

Also, I am sure this is a foolish question, but I have to ask (believe me, I have seen people do this before): Are you using the clutch when you are doing this (shifts from neutral to fifth gear at 60 mph)? If you are, then you have a possible/probable trans problem. So again, make an appointment and take it in for Warranty service as soon as you can. If you are not using your clutch, you are abusing the trans, so stop shifting like that. Of course, I am assuming you are using the clutch and shifting correctly, but felt it better to play it safe and ask.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha yes, I am using the clutch. Anybody who doesn't use a clutch on their Fusion deserves to have their car confiscated.

The area where I live is odd in that there is a parkway that has a high speed limit but still has a fair amount of stoplights. I'm sure you can imagine a such a situation where anyone would coast in neutral. Basically my point is, it's not highway driving.

It almost seems that the mechanism that synchronizes the 5th gear goes awry at such high speeds. I'm no transmission expert, but I was wondering if that was just a bad characteristic of our particular transmission.

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
[quote author=smallbigtall link=topic=90971.msg1764815#msg1764815 date=1191802481]
Haha yes, I am using the clutch. Anybody who doesn't use a clutch on their Fusion deserves to have their car confiscated.

The area where I live is odd in that there is a parkway that has a high speed limit but still has a fair amount of stoplights. I'm sure you can imagine a such a situation where anyone would coast in neutral. Basically my point is, it's not highway driving.

It almost seems that the mechanism that synchronizes the 5th gear goes awry at such high speeds. I'm no transmission expert, but I was wondering if that was just a bad characteristic of our particular transmission.
[/quote]

Hi smallbigtall! :wavey: Yes, just had to play it safe and ask though. :lmao: Like I said, trust me I've heard it before! :bash:

It is not a normal "bad characteristic" of the Fusion manual transaxle. So it would be best to bring it in for a check up (while still under warranty).

And just as an FYI. It would be best not be shifting into neutral and coasting at 60 mph. I understand the reasons you think it may be helpful, but it is not a good idea. Sort of hard to explain in a forum post, but you are not using your transmission in the most efficient manner. If you were shifting into neutral at 30 mph or so when you know you would be coming to a stop at a light, yes, that would make sense. But if you are in neutral at 60 mph and then need to shift into fifth while still at 60, not good. You are better off leaving it in fifth until you need a lower gear.

Again, it is hard to explain the intricacies, but this is not the most efficient way to use a manual transmission.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
832 Posts
your sync gear doesn't seem to be operating as it should, to test try pushing the clutch in (in the same scenerio you've had the problem in before) and holding it in for a couple of seconds before putting it into gear. It will give it time to adjust and engadge properly. if my theory works, it is your sync gear and it should be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
Hi smallbigtall. :wavey: Yes, themason is referring to the "synchronizers" in your transaxle. They help to match the gear speeds so that shifting is smooth and there is no grinding.

It may very well be your synchronizers, or it may not. Either way, you have problem that needs to be addressed at the Dealership.

Since you took my question about whether you use the clutch in good humor, I am going to throw this analogy out there for some of our other forum members.

"I have this screwdriver sticking out of my chest lately. I was just wondering, does anyone else have this problem, and is it normal? What do you think it might be from? Any ideas?" :lmao: If I went to a medical forum and posted that, everyone would tell me of course it's not normal, and get to the hospital as soon as possible (plus they would think I was nuts). :bash:

It just seems that so many of us are asking these questions lately, instead of just making an appointment to have their car checked. Except for very few high mileage examples, almost all of our cars are still within the bumper to bumper warranty.

Ah, what the hell, no big deal, that is what the forum is for. Just needed to vent. Thanks for understanding. :blah:

Please, no one take this rant too seriously, okay!?

Again, hope it is nothing serious with your trans, and good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sync problem. The G5M in my SEL already took a crap and got replaced after a loose dowel pin floated around and blew two holes in the trans housing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.