FordFusionClub.com banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
There are right and wrong ways to use the California Duster. You should lightly move it over the paint so the finger glide near the tips.

The Viking yellow drying towel at Kmart is a pretty good drying towel. As mentioned above, using a drying aid like detail spray or waterless wash can help reduce friction as a precaution to reduce the chance of swirls plus provide a nice finish.

Five minutes seems like an awfully short time to properly wash a car. Many do it yourself places use strong soaps that strip wax, etc. If you do not wash your car well, you are likely mess up while drying. Some good practices such as a good wash mitt, washing from top down, etc.

·
Administrator
6,109 Posts
[quote author=SimpsonTide985 link=topic=186150.msg3932470#msg3932470 date=1297551283]
:shock: :shock:
[/quote]

Hi Simpson. :wavey: Yes, if you really want to do things right with your new and expensive car, it can be confusing.

MKZman is absolutely correct when he states that 5 minutes is far too quick for a good car washing. If you run a Water Blade, microfiber towel, 100% cotton towel etc. over your paint finish after a "5 minute wash", you will wind up moving residual dirt and contamination around the paint and scratching the finish. There is no way you can properly wash a car and get all the dirt and girt off in 5 minutes. And if you run a towel or water blade over the car with dirt and grit remaining, tit will scratch the paint. If you want to stop in one of those high pressure booths once in a while over the winter to quickly wash off the dust, dirt, salt (if used in your area at all) etc., that is good. But don't try to towel or blade dry the car after a "5 minute wash". You will have a scratched and marred black car in no time.

You really should click on and read the links to Meguiar's, Mother's and Autopia which I placed in my first post in this thread. Again, read the Detailing "How-to" and "FAQ sections. It will save you time, money and grief later.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi Simpson,
I would avoid the California Duster. It causes very fine scratches in your paint that you will notice over time using the product. I'm sure that I will get a 5 paragraph post about the pros of the duster, however, the shop that painted my Nissan 350z Nismo "West Coast Customs" here in Corona, California told me to avoid that duster at all costs. I had bought one when I bought the Z, and had it painted about a week after, the paint guy "Scott" told me to avoid that duster. Anyway just my opinion which was derived from the guys at the shop.

Just wanted to give you my 2cents.

·
Administrator
6,109 Posts
[quote author=bryangarcia link=topic=186150.msg3942530#msg3942530 date=1298428843]
Hi Simpson,
I would avoid the California Duster. It causes very fine scratches in your paint that you will notice over time using the product. I'm sure that I will get a 5 paragraph post about the pros of the duster, however, the shop that painted my Nissan 350z Nismo "West Coast Customs" here in Corona, California told me to avoid that duster at all costs. I had bought one when I bought the Z, and had it painted about a week after, the paint guy "Scott" told me to avoid that duster. Anyway just my opinion which was derived from the guys at the shop.

Just wanted to give you my 2cents.
[/quote]

Hi bryan. :wavey: Not from me you won't. :lmao:

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Auto Zone carries these microfiber towels and they are called Spa Towels. They are the softest towels I have seen! There are some that come in a 3 pack that are white, and then they have some that are sold as a single towel that are blue and they are thicker that they white ones. They update the wash/wax section every season so the new stuff should be out now. Check out the new Meguiars Ultimate Wax while you are there too.

·
Registered
552 Posts
[quote author=Ckenaan link=topic=186150.msg3931527#msg3931527 date=1297441858]
Microfiber is decent, once washed a few times.
[/quote]You cannot wash microfiber towels with regular soap. Well I guess you can.... but it gums up the towel. There is special microfiber soap that you can buy.

Im used to use microfiber towels from Germany, but have since switched over to using the Zainos towels. All I can say is there is nothing else on the market like them. Really incredible towels. Keep away from the wife. They may want to use them in the house for when guests come over :lol:

·
Registered
331 Posts
[quote author=Milan Premier link=topic=186150.msg3956079#msg3956079 date=1299608488]
[quote author=Ckenaan link=topic=186150.msg3931527#msg3931527 date=1297441858]
Microfiber is decent, once washed a few times.
[/quote]You cannot wash microfiber towels with regular soap. Well I guess you can.... but it gums up the towel. There is special microfiber soap that you can buy.

Im used to use microfiber towels from Germany, but have since switched over to using the Zainos towels. All I can say is there is nothing else on the market like them. Really incredible towels. Keep away from the wife. They may want to use them in the house for when guests come over :lol:
[/quote]

You can use regualr soaps if they are free of additives. If your regular soap is gumming up towels,then you are using too much detergent and it is not rinsing out well.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've always washed mine with regular soap. But, it was always been "natural" or the "free from" types. Throw in some distilled white vinegar as a "softener" (during rinse cycle), and they will come out nice and fluffy. Never use dryer sheets, and dry them low.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you want to give up on your mf towels, try soaking them in an all purpose cleaner (like Optimum's Power Clean) and see what ends up in the water. They can usually be salvaged.

If you dry them in a dryer with or after dryer sheets you can be asked for problems too.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Here - you guys can go to the links provided and learn lots from a very well known forum hopper known as "Junkman", "Junkman2000" or "Junkman2008". I've corresponded with him on another forum, and he's a stand up individual who knows his detailing stuff extremely well...

From Junkman2000:

I'm known all over the web for detailing and Corvette repair. I have a lot of videos on detailing and they have been posted on a lot of different forums.

I teach with Adam's Polishes. In this video series http://www.gencoupe.com/exterior/30240-clay-wax-quick-step-step-video-tutorial.html, I explain how the entire process is done using that line of products. The technique that I use when operating the PC is critical to you having any success with removing your paint damage. Thus, pay strict attention to how I work the polisher. Here's a thread http://www.gencoupe.com/exterior/49404-junkman-battles-another-keyed-paint-job.html where I take a messed up truck and work my magic.

I spend a lot of time in the detailing section of a bunch of forums. My main hangout is Adam's Forums http://www.adamazdaforumsorums.com/. That's where you will find all my extensive write-ups and videos. Check them out in my section http://www.adamazdaforumsorums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108.
Junkman2000's info on mircofiber towels:

First off, the towels that you are having trouble with (stuff getting stuck in them and won't come out), are Chinese made towels. Those ARE garbage. I use them to wipe grease off my hands when working on the engine. You may as well bought them at Costco, Pep Boys or Auto Zone.

The ones that you see in my kit are nothing like those as mine are made in Korea, the top quality microfiber producing country in the world right now. You can drop these in a pile of leaves, pick them up and shake every leaf off them. Try that with your made in China towels.

The two best towels on the market are the made in Korea towels that Adam's sells and the Borderless Blond towels that Zaino sells. The white towels that Zaino sells are nothing special and I wouldn't bother buying any but their Borderless Blond kicks major azz. You cannot go wrong with either the Adam's Double http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-494-adams-double-soft-microfiber-towel.aspx & Single Soft towels http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-588-adams-single-soft-microfiber-towels.aspx, nor the Borderless Blond Zaino towels http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-BBFT-. Those are 3 of the best on the market.
Per Junkman:

If buying on Adam's - you can use Junkman's discount code: My coupon code is "The Junkman" or "TheJunkman"
He also has a ton of detailing vids on YouTube under his ID: Junkman2000

I hope something in the above was helpful to you (and others).

21 - 32 of 32 Posts