FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Black car, which means I'll be washing it on a weekly basis, most likely by hand or power washer. I've got no problem with that. It takes just 5 minutes or so and they happen to be all over the place here in dusty, dry Arizona...

Most of these car wash places don't have their own towels or dryers, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good material to use or where to find special towels that work best with cars, especially with dark metallic colors.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Microfiber is decent, once washed a few times.

EDIT: I always use a detail spray when drying.. But no matter how hard you try to avoid swirls, it's not because of the towel you're using--it's the microscopic pieces of dirt. If you're using anything that actually touches the car to wash/dry, it has the possibility of scratching/swirling.

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
[quote author=SimpsonTide985 link=topic=186150.msg3931504#msg3931504 date=1297441251]
I just got a new Black car, which means I'll be washing it on a weekly basis, most likely by hand or power washer. I've got no problem with that. It takes just 5 minutes or so and they happen to be all over the place here in dusty, dry Arizona...

Most of these car wash places don't have their own towels or dryers, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good material to use or where to find special towels that work best with cars, especially with dark metallic colors.
[/quote]

Hi Simpson. :wavey: Professionals recommend either high quality automotive paint finish microfiber towels (not cheap microfiber shop towels) or deep nap 100% cotton towels. With either, remove any tags, seams etc. (this advice is usually more applicable to 100% cotton towels than microfiber). Also, with the cotton towels be sure they are 100% cotton, with absolutely no polyester, rayon or other artificial fiber content

You can find excellent auto detailing information (and product recommendations which you are free to ignore :whistle:) on these three sites. Just check the "How-to", "Detailing" and "FAQ" sections:

www.meguiars.com

www.mothers.com

www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

I am partial to Meguiar's products, but there are many other good companies that manufacture high quality car care/detailing products.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
[quote author=SimpsonTide985 link=topic=186150.msg3931541#msg3931541 date=1297442522]
Could I pick up any of these kinds of towels from a Target or AutoZone or Wal-Mart...?
[/quote]

Hi Simpson. :wavey: Yes. The paint-finish quality microfibers would be available at any large automotive products store that carry a decent stock of paint care products.

Concerning the 100% cotton towels, you can also purchase them at any large auto products store (plus department stores etc.).

And just another option to think about: Personally, I use 100% cotton towels. And the towels I use are the high quality 100% cotton bath towels that are no longer being used for "human-body duty" in my house. I remove the tags (some pros also recommend removing the seams) and have good, ready-made and cost effective car care products. About the time my old paint finish towels are too worn to use on the paint anymore, my wife is buying new bath towels and I get a whole new set of replacements for the car! :hugglez:

Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
[quote author=SimpsonTide985 link=topic=186150.msg3931541#msg3931541 date=1297442522]
Could I pick up any of these kinds of towels from a Target or AutoZone or Wal-Mart...?
[/quote]

Of course.. But as bbf mentioned, some may be of different quality than others. Im sure any of your local Auto stores will carry high quality (pricier) towels suited for drying. Walmart will carry the cheap packs of lesser quality (most likely cotton microfiber) Its up to you what you decide on. Id use only micro or terry cloths tho.

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
[quote author=SimpsonTide985 link=topic=186150.msg3931561#msg3931561 date=1297443495]
Hmmm...Well, I did just buy some new bath towels... :lol:

You said you "remove the seams"...Are you referring to that outer lining of the towels?
[/quote]

Hi Simpson. :wavey: Yes. Many paint care experts will recommend removing the seams (and tags) because they are stiffer, may contain some polyester and are more apt to scratch the paint finish.

Here is my opinion concerning the seams: Although it is sometimes recommended that the seams be removed, I do not actually remove them from mine. If you are very careful (which I always try to be) and fold the towels properly during use, you do not need to remove the seams. The towels will also generally last longer if the seams are not removed (less likely to unravel). However, if you want to play it safe, remove them.

And as Ckenaan mentioned, if you decide to go with microfiber, be sure you are purchasing high quality paint-finish towels. Quality can vary greatly and there is a huge difference.

·
Registered
933 Posts
For OTC, Vroom MF (Target) are probably some of the best. For mail order, there are many choices.

Whatever you chose, perform the CD test: rub the towel on a CD with the same force you would on your car. If it creates tiny scratches on your CD, it will on your car also.

The bulk MFs you see at Costco or Sams are best left for door jambs, or interior duty. They also work great for dusting furniture.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have a black car as you can see. I use a California Blade that I replace every month of "washing" season....and I wash the blade before I use it on the car. The blade is made of medical grade silicon(e) sp??? anyway I get new ones at every AutoFair at Charlotte Motor Speedway I don't get them from Wally World......No "new" swirls since I got the car...it is used so there was some on there already. Anyway I love it and hate the towel method....blade is fast and quick.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=Mercury_66Comet_07Milan link=topic=186150.msg3931730#msg3931730 date=1297456115]
I have a black car as you can see. I use a California Blade that I replace every month of "washing" season....and I wash the blade before I use it on the car. The blade is made of medical grade silicon(e) sp??? anyway I get new ones at every AutoFair at Charlotte Motor Speedway I don't get them from Wally World......No "new" swirls since I got the car...it is used so there was some on there already. Anyway I love it and hate the towel method....blade is fast and quick.
[/quote]
Which one is it?

Like this?
http://www.microfiber-products-online.com/orcajeblhadu.html

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
[quote author=SimpsonTide985 link=topic=186150.msg3932075#msg3932075 date=1297480382]

What do you have to say about some of these reviews?

http://www.amazon.com/Original-California-Car-Duster-20014/product-reviews/B0002SPC6M/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
[/quote]

Hi Simpson. :wavey: Since he was the member who mentioned the California Water Blade, I realize you were asking Mercury_66 about his experiences/opinions in your last post.

I purchased a California Water Blade some time ago (the older "T-blade" style mentioned in some of the reviews). If you are interested in my opinion, let me know and I will post back.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
[quote author=SimpsonTide985 link=topic=186150.msg3932075#msg3932075 date=1297480382]
http://www.amazon.com/Original-California-Car-Duster-20014/product-reviews/B0002SPC6M/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
[/quote]

EDIT: I thought your link (which i neglected to check) had to do with one of these:

LOVE IT!!!

Keep it in the car. Works like a GEM! Especially living in Arizona you will come to appreciate not having to wash the car on a weekly basis (unless of course it rains... does it even rain there??). Just give it a good wipe down a couple times a week and the car remains spotless!

I use it when I go to shows or just to tidy it up before heading out on a Saturday night. The dirtier it gets the better it works - believe it or not lol.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Ok here you go, to end the confusion.

Blade

The California BLADE is a silicon blade that is made to "squeegee" away all the water that remains on your car after you wash it (morning dew, recent rain etc) I believe in this product. I have the new design and the old T blade as well. They both do the job. The T blade is easier for anyone to use and the "knife" design takes a little more skill as you have to find the right angle all the time but it's not rocket science. It cuts down on drying time after a good wash. I will say that the blade can't get in all the nooks and crannys of the car but that it gets a majority of the car in no time at all then use a microfiber to get the hard to reach areas. Think of it like those gas station window squeegee's but for your whole car and it wont scratch it like a real squeegee.

Duster

The California DUSTER is a wonderful product as well. I have one in each of my cars. The duster is used to whisk away dirt in between washes. It works better after the duster material gets a little dirty I have found, but anyway I use it after the car has sat outside all day while at work, after driving on dew coated roads and you let the water dry and then whisk away the dirt spots left behind (good coat of wax is the Dusters' best friend as it makes it harder for the dirt to stick).

So I hope that helps free up the confusion. Blade for water.....Duster for dirt

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
Hi Simpson. :wavey: Like Canadian and Mercury_66, I also have and use the California Car Duster (keep one in the trunk of each car, one of which is black). Great product to keep your car clean of dust, pollen etc. between full washings/detailing. Especially helpful for dark colored cars, which show dust and pollen much more readily.

Just to add some information to what Canadian and Mercury_66 already gave you concerning the Duster: It is designed for cleaning light dust/pollen etc, not for cleaning a very dirty car with heavy mud, contamination etc.. And as Mercury mentioned, keeping the cars paint finish waxed makes it much more effective and less likely to ever cause any small scratches. Essentially, if you follow the directions that come with the Duster, you will be very happy with the performance. Also, be sure to buy the original California Car Duster (if you decide to buy), not a cheap imitation/knock-off. The difference will be noticeable and your cars paint finish will thank you. :csweeney:

You will find it especially helpful now that you have a black car (is this your first black car?). If it is your first black car, you will soon be introduced to the joys of washing and waxing your car, only to come out an hour later and see dust and pollen already settling onto the paint. The mirror finish of a clean black car just makes the dust so much more noticeable. But black is still a beautiful color, so it is worth it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts