FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got into a wreck with my 2006 Ford Fusion SE V6. Now it is at the Ford dealership, and their estimated damage is around $10,000 dollars. Now keep in mind that it was the other driver that is at fault, but I do not have GAP insurance. I owe $21,000, and the Fusion retails for about $17-18,000. Here are some of the major damages:

repl bumper cover
repl lt fender
repl lt fender liner
repl lt apron/rail assy
repl lt fender gusset
repl a/m grille
repl lt fog lamp assy
repl lt headlamp assy
repl lt radiator seal
repl radiator support
repl hood
repl rt hinge
repl lt hinge
repl air cleaner assy
repl rear bumper
repl quarter panel
repl lt trailing arm

I dont want to keep it if it will not run the same....So if you have any knowledge on this subject, any help would be helpful. Thank you in advance. Justin. :(

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
That sucks... You have on of my favorite looking fusions on the forums. (sorry guys) It looks like you have mostly cosmetic damage. I would say if they don't total it I would keep it. The car should run fine provided they don't mess anything up when they repair. So why did the guy in the trailer pass and turn from the left lane? What an ass hole. :bitching:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would ask for the best repair shop in town and make sure they give you lifetime warranty on repairs.

With the warranty, I will keep it except if I want a different car.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Keep it, the damage does not look to be more then cosmetic as mentioned.

Depending on how long you have had your car you may still be able to add GAP insurance. I'm glad that I found out about before we purchased our last two cars since we financed essentially the full price.

G

·
Son of a bitch.

That looks almost exactly what my car looks like right now with my damage. Except the rear of my car is not touched. Just the right fender, right front fascia, hood, headlight, and winshield washer fluid container need to be replaced. Maybe I don't have it as bad as you.

I think my estimate will be a few grand less because the actual body of my car wasn't touched. What I mean is that place right behind the rear door near the gas filler neck, that needs some fixing, the rest can just be replaced. IDK, I hope mine is half of what yours is

Ugh, I hate the asshole drivers in this world, lucky for you, the cop said the other guy is at fault.

My cop, is not the brightest bulb in the dept. I have to go show the judge how the other guy is at fault, I am pretty sure, that I will have enough evidence as so the judge will just go, YES, the other guy is at fault. Plus I am getting an accident reconstructionist.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I doubt that damage would total the car. Apperances are deciving though. Make sure they check all the suspension very closely and insist they put it on an alignment rack. Chances are you'll have to keep driving this car. If they fix it correctly you'll never no the difference...for the most part.

·
Registered
596 Posts
hey there... damn, sorry to hear about yet another wreck...
from the looks of it, it seems to be mostly cosmetic as already mentioned...which is a good thing, cuz that means free, new, body kits (front bumper only, in ur case)... and if it is mostly cosmetic damage, then I'd keep the car.

Like Rayman said... whats up with all the Fusion wrecks lately??? I hope it's not a catchy trend of some sort :hide:
Speaking of which, I just got cut off by a lady on the freeway who was talking on her cellphone (uuugghh) and the !Funny part it, she was completely oblivious to the fact that I was driving right beside her...... [email protected]!!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I was thinking everything was fine while reading your list until I got the the trailing arm. Is the trailing arm actually bent? I can understand how it could be, if the truck hit your wheel and pushed it around a bit (if you'd had the stock tires it wouldn't have put so much load into the suspension).

But the trailing arm can't just bend by itself. You can't bend one side of a rectangle without affecting at least one of the other sides. It's connected very sturdily at multiple points to the car, so if the trailing arm is bent, then it's most likely something else is bent to. Make sure they inspect very closely the spot where the trailing arm bolts up to the floor. Also look at the rear lower control arm and the toe-link. Then look at the subframe where these two bolt up. Don't let them tell you that just because the alignment is good, everything is fine. An alignment is only valid for one point in the suspension's travel, and that's a point that you're never at when cornering. Bent arms can be adjusted so the alignment is fine when it's on the rack, but as the suspension moves, the geometry won't be normal.

Truthfully the damage doesn't look so bad that it should be a problem, but make sure your shop really knows there suspension. At the very least make sure everything on the left looks the same as on the right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=Waldo link=topic=72619.msg1286592#msg1286592 date=1174671593]
I was thinking everything was fine while reading your list until I got the the trailing arm. Is the trailing arm actually bent? I can understand how it could be, if the truck hit your wheel and pushed it around a bit (if you'd had the stock tires it wouldn't have put so much load into the suspension).

But the trailing arm can't just bend by itself. You can't bend one side of a rectangle without affecting at least one of the other sides. It's connected very sturdily at multiple points to the car, so if the trailing arm is bent, then it's most likely something else is bent to. Make sure they inspect very closely the spot where the trailing arm bolts up to the floor. Also look at the rear lower control arm and the toe-link. Then look at the subframe where these two bolt up. Don't let them tell you that just because the alignment is good, everything is fine. An alignment is only valid for one point in the suspension's travel, and that's a point that you're never at when cornering. Bent arms can be adjusted so the alignment is fine when it's on the rack, but as the suspension moves, the geometry won't be normal.

Truthfully the damage doesn't look so bad that it should be a problem, but make sure your shop really knows there suspension. At the very least make sure everything on the left looks the same as on the right.
[/quote]

Thanks I will make sure this happens.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A rebuilt title fusion? Lol not worth keeping. You will never sell the car or get any where near close to the trade in value you will ever want. Let it go and get a better car. FWD car hit in the front!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the total damages is around $10,000, then how much would the diminished value be on the car? The other guys insurance company offered be $995 for the diminished value, is that worth it?

·
Registered
391 Posts
looking at the police report, i'd say its your fault.

if you see someone passing from the left and taking a right turn, you should let him do it.

slow down immediately when he starts passing to the left

safety is more important than right of way.

in asian countries many people drive like car #1. i do too when im in asia, because under low speeds its easier to cut people off (and forcing them to brake) when you are turning from the outside. i think its a good system and very efficient.

i don't do it in the US because there are people like you who won't brake even when someone already has part of his car in front of you. (or maybe you were on cell phone?)

i prefer the asian system of driving (you are responsible for what is in front of you) and i find it causes way less accidents. sure, brakes wear out faster, but brakes are cheaper than bodywork

·
Registered
476 Posts
[quote author=Nr9 link=topic=72619.msg1466030#msg1466030 date=1181147823]
looking at the police report, i'd say its your fault.

if you see someone passing from the left and taking a right turn, you should let him do it.

slow down immediately when he starts passing to the left

safety is more important than right of way.

in asian countries many people drive like car #1. i do too when im in asia, because under low speeds its easier to cut people off (and forcing them to brake) when you are turning from the outside. i think its a good system and very efficient.

i don't do it in the US because there are people like you who won't brake even when someone already has part of his car in front of you. (or maybe you were on cell phone?)

i prefer the asian system of driving (you are responsible for what is in front of you) and i find it causes way less accidents. sure, brakes wear out faster, but brakes are cheaper than bodywork
[/quote]

There is no way this is his fault. The other guy passed him then turned from the left lane. Asian driving rules, BTW, dont apply in Armerica. If he gets cut off like that its not his fault.... now if he rear ended the guy square it would be his fault. That does not look to be the case.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts