FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im interested in getting an idea as to how much everyone put down at initial purchase. Im not exactly sure how much I might have to put down at signing before I can drive off, but Im a bit nervous that I might fall short. Id preferrably like to hear from individuals who bought a used Fusion, but new owners work too. Also, what charges should I expect. I hear about people trying to put in fake charges, but Im a new to car buying, so I dont want to get jipped for my money. Im hoping I can do a down of less than 2000$, but I dont know if thats reasonable.

The add for the Fusion Im buying says that I must give 10% down. The price online shows as 17,695 but the guy said he can lower that by 1500 - 3000$. But after I pay the 10% down, what other fees would go on top of that. 10% off, lets say, 16,000 is 1,600 which is great. But how much on top of that would I have to pay for taxes, fees, titles, etc etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated and sorry if Im being a bit annoying. Like I said, this is all new to me and I want to have my purchase go smoothly and quickly. I cant wait for my Fusion! :klavergreg:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I put down $6000. I wouldn't advise anyone else to do so, but that's what I needed to do to get my monthly payments where I wanted them.

As far as additional prices for taxes tags and title, it depends on your state. Maybe someone mor knowlegeable about this info can help a little more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, 6000$, thats a lot. Thats 3 times more than what I have to work with. Anyone else had to pay that much, or decided to do so?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Like I said, $6000 is what I decided to put down, not required. I'm almost certain you would be fine with $2000 maybe less. Its just a matter of where you want your monthly payments to be.

·
Registered
910 Posts
That is pretty reasonable, I put down 3k but I bought new and paid about 10k more than what your paying

·
Registered
476 Posts
i put down $0 and and $1600 in negative equity on my Mazda B-3000.  I qualified for 0% for 72 months when ford was running the 0% for anyone with a pulse.  I'm still alive so i qualified for it...  I also have X-plan though work and there were 2000 in rebates.  sticker was just shy of 26000 and i was out the door for a little less then 25000 after tax, title, reg and the negative equity on my truck.

Mine is an SEL V6 with every option except the sunroof.  my payments are $369.80 a month and well within my budget for a car.

I highly suggest waiting for 0% financing again at the end of next summer when they try to clear out the 07s to make room for the 08s... it will happen again. they do it every year.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A 10 % down payment will be fine, plus either the rebate or the finance offer , whichever looks better for you. Ford finance rates are really good if you don't plan on paying it off early. that might be you best option. As jaydez noted, if you can wait
about 4 - 5 more months, end of summer, Ford will be putting out better offers. Of course, the longer you wait, the smaller, more limited your car selection will be. It's
a trade-off.
Remember that your final sales tax fees will be based on the dealer selling price. That means BEFORE your down payment & any rebate. So if the dealer sells you the car
at $ 16K, & you put down $ 2K & take the $ 1K rebate, you now owe $ 13K for the car, BUT your sales tax will be based on the ORIGINAL selling price, $ 16K.
Good Luck !

G

·
[quote author=jaydez link=topic=72589.msg1282220#msg1282220 date=1174512551]
i put down $0 and and $1600 in negative equity on my Mazda B-3000. I qualified for 0% for 72 months when ford was running the 0% for anyone with a pulse. I'm still alive so i qualified for it... I also have X-plan though work and there were 2000 in rebates. sticker was just shy of 26000 and i was out the door for a little less then 25000 after tax, title, reg and the negative equity on my truck.

Mine is an SEL V6 with every option except the sunroof. my payments are $369.80 a month and well within my budget for a car.

I highly suggest waiting for 0% financing again at the end of next summer when they try to clear out the 07s to make room for the 08s... it will happen again. they do it every year.
[/quote]

WTF, I bought mine for 18,500. And my payments are $323 a month! I put down about 2,500 grand.

Oy vay.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i put down $0 and and $1600 in negative equity on my Mazda B-3000. I qualified for 0% for 72 months when ford was running the 0% for anyone with a pulse. I'm still alive so i qualified for it... I also have X-plan though work and there were 2000 in rebates. sticker was just shy of 26000 and i was out the door for a little less then 25000 after tax, title, reg and the negative equity on my truck.

Mine is an SEL V6 with every option except the sunroof. my payments are $369.80 a month and well within my budget for a car.

[/quote]

72 months? Damn, that's a long time. I bought mine with $3000 down plus $1000 rebate on the A-plan. I took financing from Ford for 48 months and got 0.9% interest. My payments are $451.58 a month. They were offering 0% for 60 months, but anything longer than 4 years is too long for me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I took the 72 months 1 to make my payments lower and 2 cus i plan to keep he car at least that long. I'm 26 now so by the time it is paid off I will be in my 30s... besides.. its 0% so its not like it costs me anymore to take longer to pay it off.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My paypal account is paying 5.05% right now. So if you can get an interest rate lower than that, you should put as little down as they will allow. In November I bought my wife a 2007 Mariner ($26K) with only $1000 down and 1.9% for 60 months. I could have put more down, but instead I've stuck the extra cash in paypal and am earning more interest than I'm paying. Sure it's a higher montly payment, but I can just take the difference out of the paypal account every month.

Take the longest term finance you can get for the lowest interest rate. Every loan I've had has allowed pay-ahead. So take a 60 month loan, but calculate what the payments would be for a 48 month. Then set it up so you pay the higher payment. You'll still pay it off in 48 months, but if once in a while you have a tight month, you can just pay the lower payment.

·
Registered
476 Posts
[quote author=Waldo link=topic=72589.msg1308798#msg1308798 date=1175606571]
My paypal account is paying 5.05% right now. So if you can get an interest rate lower than that, you should put as little down as they will allow. In November I bought my wife a 2007 Mariner ($26K) with only $1000 down and 1.9% for 60 months. I could have put more down, but instead I've stuck the extra cash in paypal and am earning more interest than I'm paying. Sure it's a higher montly payment, but I can just take the difference out of the paypal account every month.

Take the longest term finance you can get for the lowest interest rate. Every loan I've had has allowed pay-ahead. So take a 60 month loan, but calculate what the payments would be for a 48 month. Then set it up so you pay the higher payment. You'll still pay it off in 48 months, but if once in a while you have a tight month, you can just pay the lower payment.
[/quote]

This is an excelent point. Also with the ford credit payments if you over pay the amount that you overpay is deducted from the next month's payment... in time you could get to the point where you could actually skip a payment if you got in a money crunch

·
Registered
3 Posts
I paid cash for my car. The sticker was $28,900 and I was able to walk out paying $23,600.
2007 Fusion SEL V6 Fully loaded

·
Registered
8 Posts
We only put down about $3,200. To put any more down with our 2.9% interest rate didn't seem wise considering that our investments are earning double digit returns right now. I think out of that $3,200, that about $2,000 of it was TT&L and fees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know about you man, I got my 07 SE V6 for $24,000, and I have them drop the price down to $20,000 and that is $4000 off the ticket price, then I put another $5000 down. I don't have a good credit for sure, but my payment with disability insurance was $315 a month, and with out disability was $300 a month.

[quote author=RymanH24 link=topic=72589.msg1304924#msg1304924 date=1175454235]

[/quote]

WTF, I bought mine for 18,500. And my payments are $323 a month! I put down about 2,500 grand.

Oy vay.
[/quote]

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I put $0 down and traded in my Contour for $1700. The sticker price was over $26k and I got the a-plan, so my monthly payments are $316 for a 36 month lease. Also, I had to pay ~$590 up front for first month's payment and tax or some crap like that.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
$0 down no trade in 4.9% intrest for 60mo. I am cheap i will never put money down on a car. Would rather not trade in either just because they never give you what the car is worth. I had a 98 neon and they wanted to give me $800 for it and i had over a grand into susp on the car since i autocrossed it for 4 years. I know why they would only give me that much because it was a neon but i was able to sell it for $2500 2 weeks after i got the Fusion. Used under a Grand to buy the wheels and tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
0 down, 24k out the door with X-Plan 08 SE V6, all the options. Your credit situation has more to do with it than anything else.. they didnt even ask me if i wanted to put anything down until we were in finaince, and I just said No... lol..

·
Registered
832 Posts
Reguardless of whether you put money down or not the dealer is gonna get paid. For a first time buyer, don't get the shaft. whatever their asking price offer 2k less. If you go with loan in hand you'll walk out on top and most dealers that will work loans out on site are in collusion with the financers and will get a percentage of the sale, so pure economics tells you that they'll try and push the price up to get a larger cut. So, try and get a loan on your own first then when you get your preapproval for x amount go to them and tell them this is what your prepared to give them, trust me when I say money talks and if they're smart and don't want your money to go else where they'll take the offer and you won't have to pay a cent out of pocket. Be reasonable and offer a respectable amount or they'll just laugh at you.

Ask for a carfax if used.
Make sure to get as much info off of it and get the bluebook with that data.
low ball them to get it for cheaper (remember your going into a major dealer and starting "negotiations" which by definition is a 2 way street)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.