FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've read some threads that have differing opinions about just how much extra tire wear you can have after lowering the Fusion. I'm considering the Eibach spring kit. I know I'll have to get it aligned after the install, but I wonder how much tire wear will I be sacrificing? I have the SE 16" alloy wheels/tires. Would LOVE to get some of the 17" stock alloy tire/wheel "take-offs" from a SEL owner when they upgrade, but I can wait for that, looking to lower first.
I read the thread about the camber adjustment (or lack of), and that makes me think I'll be going thru tires sooner than normal.

I wonder just how much to expect?

·
Registered
64 Posts
tire wear will be normal as long as you get an alignment done! I had a focus dropped and didn't have any wear issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Depends on how low you drop it. I wouldn't go lower than 1.5" without a camber kit and I don't think they have one for a Fusion yet. I also wouldn't lower it unless I had a performance type strut,shock. The car is very soft and I wish I had researched it a lot more before I bought it.
If it were me I would buy the other wheels first and then lower it. Lowering it without proper shock control can lead to a variety of problems depending on how far you go. Stock shocks and struts wear out a lot faster than normal because of the altered spring rate which is somewhat stiffer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I actually saw a replacement ball joint with camber adjustment somewhere. It wasn't cheap though, something like $99 each joint. I don't think a mild drop is going to have too much effect on stock struts/shocks. I've driven my '03 Explorer on drop springs for 70k miles. The stock shocks are still on it. A friend of mine bought it from me a month ago and he hasn't had any problems with it either. I think it really depends on where you live and the road conditions.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Will tread wear increase?? Of course, with all the fun and extra cornering of lowered springs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts