FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked my TPS for the first time today using an accutire gauge. I got the following readings: 33.5, 35.5, 35.5, 37.0
Manual and sticker in door recommend 33 just wondering if I need to let some air out? Is this good or bad? Should they all be fairly even?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Definitely let a couple PSI out of the 37 tire. The others are fine at .5 over the recommended. You want to keep them all about the same PSI. A 3.5 lb difference is too substantial. Overinflation to your tires can be just as bad as underinflated tires. Both lead to premature tire wear and other problems.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
It all comes down to your ride preference. The more air, the stiffer the ride obviously. Going with the owners manual you would need to let air out of the one.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=otaku link=topic=77618.msg1413373#msg1413373 date=1179283476]
Checked my TPS for the first time today using an accutire gauge. I got the following readings: 33.5, 35.5, 35.5, 37.0
Manual and sticker in door recommend 33 just wondering if I need to let some air out? Is this good or bad? Should they all be fairly even?
[/quote]

Hi otaku. :wavey: As mrc stated, keep the pressures relatively even. Auto manufacturers tailor their recommended pressure for a balance of ride comfort, handling, mileage and tire wear. If you would like to get slightly better mileage and longer tire life, add 2-3 psi to the recommended pressures. This will give you slightly better MPG, better wear and handling, with only a slightly harsher ride (probably not even a big enough difference to notice). I keep mine at 35.5 to 36 psi.

However, again, as mrc stated, all four tires should be within a few tenths of a pound. Three and a half psi difference is definitely too much.

Good luck! :cheers:

PS - Very good points made below by eiching. Experts say that you should always check your tire pressure when they are "cold" (before you drive any more than 1 mile). Also for every 10 F degree drop in ambient temperature, you will have an approximately 1 psi drop in pressure. Correspondingly, for every 10 F degree rise in ambient temp, your pressure will rise approximately 1 psi.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Also, Make sure you check them early in the morning before driving the car. Also, preferably parked in the shade so the sun does not heat any of the tires up.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'll check again in the morning since I drove a few hours before checking. So the best deal is 36 or so but for all the tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=otaku link=topic=77618.msg1413561#msg1413561 date=1179286905]
Yeah I'll check again in the morning since I drove a few hours before checking. So the best deal is 36 or so but for all the tires.
[/quote]

Hi otaku. Personally, I would go no higher than 36 psi, cold. Keep them somewhere between 35 to 36, with all four tires being roughly at the same pressure (within a few tenths).

Good luck!

·
Registered
702 Posts
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=77618.msg1413458#msg1413458 date=1179284790]
Also, Make sure you check them early in the morning before driving the car. Also, preferably parked in the shade so the sun does not heat any of the tires up.
[/quote]
Ditto, I did a college paper and presentation on tire pressures. A on the paper, B on the presentation. Anyway, yes first thing in the morning before the sun is up is best. If you must check your tires in the daytime make sure they haven't been in the sunlight yet. Add 1 PSI per 10 degrees Fahrenheit the temperature has increased since the coldest it was the night before. Say you're airing up at a gas station and you've have been driving around 45MPH, add about 4 PSI over recommended(or what you want it to be) 6 PSI for higher speeds like 55-60.

Also, yes running slightly higher pressure will improve your MPG a little and stiffen your ride. You can also run slightly less to make the ride softer, and trick dealerships have been doing for god only know how long. I personally run between 0.5 and 1 PSI over recommended. There's more to list but this should suffice for now. Good luck and let us know if you have more questions.

·
Registered
148 Posts
[quote author=mechanicboy18 link=topic=77618.msg1413782#msg1413782 date=1179291650]
<snip>You can also run slightly less to make the ride softer, and trick dealerships have been doing for god only know how long. <snip>
[/quote]

hehehe When I bought my Milan, the morning after I brought it home I was poking around inside and out, checking all the nooks and crannies, ooohing and awwwing, etc. I decided to check the tire pressure. 28lbs all around... Hmmmm, that's not what the door frame sticker said. Those sneaky little... :lol: I prefer a bit firmer ride anyhow, but it just goes to show ya...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on the best tire gauges to use? Brand? Type? I've read somewhere that the "pencil"-type gauges are not the best, that the ones with a round face are best. I've also used the electronic digital ones but am not quite sure that they are really accurate. Correct tire pressure begins with having an accurate gauge. Any thoughts on this subject?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I use a digital gauge. I had a round one that cost about $15 and my uncle got for me and tested it to find that it was almost 2psi off. It might have just been mine that was off. I bought a digital one for about $5 and it tested accurate.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I use a small $1 gauge i got at wal-mart in the register line.

I also have a GEICO tire pressure gauge shaped like the Gecko. lol

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=jaydez link=topic=77618.msg1421506#msg1421506 date=1179517086]
I use a small $1 gauge i got at wal-mart in the register line.

I also have a GEICO tire pressure gauge shaped like the Gecko. lol
[/quote]
I'm jealous. I pay GEICO $1,600 a year for car insurance and I didn't get a gecko tire gauge. :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine was 15 bucks. Accutire digital.

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=otaku link=topic=77618.msg1422506#msg1422506 date=1179542987]
Mine was 15 bucks. Accutire digital.
[/quote]
Otaku,

I've seen the Accutire digital gauge advertised on the Net for that price. Did you buy your online or from a store?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yes, the radials of today do not "look" low on air until they are really low. Also, when putting air in they will "look" fine but you could have way too much or too little.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Okay, just for the record guys....My last post on her was just a joke...
...I know...haha very funny right.

Not use to making jokes without the facial expressions to show for it. :lol:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote author=aninjazx6r link=topic=77618.msg1423143#msg1423143 date=1179591624]
I do it like they did back in the day...I use my eyeball.

Is that bad now?
[/quote]

online. Also just found out according to a post here that the 2008s will have TPS built in!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts