FordFusionClub.com banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Keep posted. Might pay your to unlock my pcm
SCT Pro Racer doesn't work like that. From what I've learned talking to SCT dealers, it's tied to one PCM only at the time of ordering and the software is custom configured. Some dealers can choose to add an additional "database" (PCM) but proof of ownership is required. SCT is big on anti-piracy when it comes to their software.

Good news is that the software only costs $350 and you have almost complete control over your drivetrain.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So below is a video from BBK to show the difference between stock (68mm) and a 73mm TB on a 3.7L Mustang. While peak gains aren't that much, look at the area under the graph from idle to ~3500 RPM. Pretty big gains.

I'm hoping for the same thing, but only time will tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4Cvzw01O9yw

·
Registered
472 Posts
I started getting lost in the world of Mustang videos on YouTube :chuckles: but yes, those low-end gains are way more than worth it IMO. If I could get a low-end gain like that on the Sport, I'd be more than happy to jump on the bandwagon of TB upgrades. Let's face it, having the car as a DD means 80% of the time we run below 3,500 RPM anyway. I know I don't hit more than like 2,750 RPM unless I'm getting on the freeway. Even then I stay below the 3,500 mark unless I really feel like blowing past some people to the 1 lane.

I should be less talk and more action. Let's face it, the bone stock engine is fun and all but I could really use another 20 horses and like 25 torques.

·
Registered
832 Posts
So Don @ Lasota Racing doesn't have my car in his database to do email tunes. So I've decided to purchase the Pro Racer software that will allow me to write my own.

He will help walk me through everything and will tell me what I need to adjust based on datalogs that I send him. I think it's going to be a long road to get a good tune, but I'm sure I'll learn a lot doing it.

I trust Don's credentials and I'll get his manual on tuning just to be on the safe side. I hope it works out well.
Maybe you can try TuningbyjamesLLC. He does have the car on file and he's another one of the SCT guru's. He's the one that figured out a ton of the issues we were having with my tune.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Maybe you can try TuningbyjamesLLC. He does have the car on file and he's another one of the SCT guru's. He's the one that figured out a ton of the issues we were having with my tune.
Its funny you mention that. I was asking Steeda if they could do email tunes based on data logs. Sadly, they don't, but they also referred me to Tuning by James. I'm definitely going to look him up.

Pro Racer won't even give me access to the drive by wire stuff without going to the advanced training class.

·
Registered
832 Posts
He is well respected in the SCT world. Like I said before, I was scratching my head for days trying to solve the limp mode issue my car was getting randomly and he isolated the problem and fixed the issue in about 1/2hrs time. He actually trains and certifies people on the master software so you know he's got the knowledge.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results on this TB though. I definitely see some good low end gains coming when you're finished.

James

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
He is well respected in the SCT world. Like I said before, I was scratching my head for days trying to solve the limp mode issue my car was getting randomly and he isolated the problem and fixed the issue in about 1/2hrs time. He actually trains and certifies people on the master software so you know he's got the knowledge.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results on this TB though. I definitely see some good low end gains coming when you're finished.

James
Shot an email off to him. I think it looks promising. I'll probably see if he'll do the tune for the TB now and see if he can redo it once I get the ported upper and lower intake manifolds on.

I don't think I will have time before fall to get those on and I don't even have them back yet. They're still another week and a half out from being done.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would hold off on the tune until you get the UIM/LIM back and do it all at once. It'll save you time and money. That is unless you want to measure the gains one by one for info purposes or something. I would set up an AEM A/F gauge (wideband) to match your datalogging values to the gauge. The formula should be around this ball park to match it up:

Vx2.5+10

He's more than likely going to need you to log your short term and long term fuel trims, global spark, IAT sensor, MAF add counts, battery voltage, knock sensor, rpm and speed. Those are the main ones I can think of that should give him all the info he needs to knock it out. If you need info on how to run the wideband through the Xcal tuner via the auxillary port let me know.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I would hold off on the tune until you get the UIM/LIM back and do it all at once. It'll save you time and money. That is unless you want to measure the gains one by one for info purposes or something. I would set up an AEM A/F gauge (wideband) to match your datalogging values to the gauge. The formula should be around this ball park to match it up:

Vx2.5+10

He's more than likely going to need you to log your short term and long term fuel trims, global spark, IAT sensor, MAF add counts, battery voltage, knock sensor, rpm and speed. Those are the main ones I can think of that should give him all the info he needs to knock it out. If you need info on how to run the wideband through the Xcal tuner via the auxillary port let me know.
Yeah, those seem about right when I datalogged my old Focus.

When I was talking to Don LaSota, he made it sound like I can get a wideband O2 sensor that will interface through serial on the PC so I won't have to deal with the Firewire stuff on the handheld device. I need to order up a wideband already. I'm trying to make the timeline quicker, but based on money and schedule, it's taking just a little longer than I wanted.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah, those seem about right when I datalogged my old Focus.

When I was talking to Don LaSota, he made it sound like I can get a wideband O2 sensor that will interface through serial on the PC so I won't have to deal with the Firewire stuff on the handheld device. I need to order up a wideband already. I'm trying to make the timeline quicker, but based on money and schedule, it's taking just a little longer than I wanted.
I'd have to look at the Live Link configuration menu, where you select your parameters to see if there is an A/F parameter to select. if there isn't then you'd have to do it under an aux port and configure that port for the wideband. Let me know though if you can in fact do it that way. If you can, I will do it that way from now on because it sounds much easier to deal with.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'd have to look at the Live Link configuration menu, where you select your parameters to see if there is an A/F parameter to select. if there isn't then you'd have to do it under an aux port and configure that port for the wideband. Let me know though if you can in fact do it that way. If you can, I will do it that way from now on because it sounds much easier to deal with.
I talked to Don more about it. He uses an independent software to monitor the wideband O2 sensor. I'm still not 100% sure how it works, but he says that is a preferred method.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Gm tuning is soooo much better.
Maybe. In this case, it doesn't really matter.

I'm having Tuning by James do the tune through datalogs. I am currently in the process of having all the mods finished up so I can have the tune done.

Time will be the ultimate restriction, so this might not get completed until fall. I suspect others may get it done before me, but then they're going to be the guinea pigs.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I talked to Don more about it. He uses an independent software to monitor the wideband O2 sensor. I'm still not 100% sure how it works, but he says that is a preferred method.
Hmm... I wonder if the independent software he uses feeds the log into the livelink or if it shows it on an isolated table/graph/chart? That would be nice if it overlays the info onto the livelink datalog graph.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Finally got to install this thing today when I got home. Drove about 20 minutes, varying speeds & throttle position. No CEL, no issues, and the butt dyno says "great success". Did a few WOT pulls, seems to get up and go better.

My Sport iscurrently in "stock" form engine wise besides this and the exhaust. I will be reinstalling my Steeda CAI (no sleeve) with the 93 tune later this week to see what happens. I think it helped, honestly.

EDIT: Updated first post with comparison pictures.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just got mine back for a total of less then $200 dollars. I can feel a difference in low end torque and after 4500 RPM it seems to pull harder. I'm sure if it wasn't hot as balls out I could be able to feel it more. But at first it was pretty scary it wouldn't drop in RPMs after I let off the gas but it seems to have gone away as the computer got use to it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
This would be an interesting dyno sheet comparison, stock TB power v. ported.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts