FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So some of you may have read the thread below talking about a possible throttle body that would fit on the Sports.

http://www.fordfusionclub.com/showthread.php?t=412861

Sadly, the bolt pattern on the 3.7L and 3.5L TiVCT throttle body is wider than what comes on the Sport. It will not work without an adapter plate.

You're going to pay easily $150 from a junkyard for one of those throttle bodies and more if you get one brand new or aftermarket like the BBK.

But wait, there is another awesome option! I did a little research after acquiring a spare 65mm TB from a 2007 Edge (same as the 2010-2012 Sport).

I sent it off to a company called MaxBore (www.maxbore.com). I'll let the pictures do the talking, but needless to say, I now have a 70mm+ throttle body that I paid $100 to have ported.

Most quality used auto places have throttle bodies for $100-150 (LKQ is a good place to start). So $250 for a 70mm+ throttle body instead of spending $400 for a BBK one.

Anyways, PICS! I'm out of state right now, but once I get home I'll get side by side comparison pictures for everyone.

Keep in mind, this thing was caked in corrosion and carbon deposits when I sent it off. It looks new...

DISCUSS!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Just waiting to see if you throw a cel or car goes into limp mode. Next step is to have it tuned for that beast!!! Just don't go nuts on the band clamp from the rubber intake section. That front wall thickness is thin imho. Got my fingers crossed it works. Where did they get the 70mm throttle plate???

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just waiting to see if you throw a cel or car goes into limp mode. Next step is to have it tuned for that beast!!! Just don't go nuts on the band clamp from the rubber intake section. That front wall thickness is thin imho. Got my fingers crossed it works. Where did they get the 70mm throttle plate???
I'm hoping for no CEL. The band clamp doesn't need to be super tight to get a good seal, so I'm not too worried.

The company / guy that did it makes the throttle plate custom. Check out the pictures portion on his website.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to his website:

George @ Maxbore said:
2010 Ford Fusion Sport. Bored from 64.6mm to 72.2mm.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Errr that is huge I hope he did not over bore it. Thats almost a 10mm difference and that is huge in throttle bodies on stock tune. You may get a stumble off the line with out a tune. I would have stayed in the 68-70mm area.

·
Registered
679 Posts

The side wall may look thin but im sure it is still very strong.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow thats a lot... 72.2 is huge... Fingers crossed for no CEL...
Not that the V6 Mustang is tuned the same, but they can go from 68 to 73 without a CEL.

I think it'll be fine since it's after the MAF and the airflow can be properly measured. We'll see when I get home from my trip.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Not that the V6 Mustang is tuned the same, but they can go from 68 to 73 without a CEL.

I think it'll be fine since it's after the MAF and the airflow can be properly measured. We'll see when I get home from my trip.

Not to sure on ford stuff. But my with my old LSJ I switched to a LS4 V8 TB and the car barley ran. there is such a big diffrence in the value without a good street or dyno tune this mod wont do much good for you. Our cars are drive by wire not the old cable stuff the computer can only make up for so much stuff. Yes its after the MAF but the computer still thinks there is a 60mm TB on the car regardless of the TB being ported. Its like using a trash bag for a condom lol ;)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Errr that is huge I hope he did not over bore it. Thats almost a 10mm difference and that is huge in throttle bodies on stock tune. You may get a stumble off the line with out a tune. I would have stayed in the 68-70mm area.
7.6mm isn't that close to 10mm, but I guess it's all relative. It's an increase of 11%. It won't be on the Ford tune, it will be on the Steeda tune which already accounts for some additional air flow. It might not be enough, but should be better than stock. It's all a test.

Not to sure on ford stuff. But my with my old LSJ I switched to a LS4 V8 TB and the car barley ran. there is such a big diffrence in the value without a good street or dyno tune this mod wont do much good for you. Our cars are drive by wire not the old cable stuff the computer can only make up for so much stuff. Yes its after the MAF but the computer still thinks there is a 60mm TB on the car regardless of the TB being ported. Its like using a trash bag for a condom lol ;)
A 7.6mm increase is a lot, 64.6mm to 72.2mm. I'm going to see what happens with it on and the Steeda tune installed. I still have a stock one, so if it doesn't work well, I'll take it off until I can get it tuned.

It's a trial and error kind of thing. For $100 (since I didn't pay for the spare TB) I couldn't pass it up.

·
Banned
317 Posts
7.6mm isn't that close to 10mm, but I guess it's all relative. It's an increase of 11%. It won't be on the Ford tune, it will be on the Steeda tune which already accounts for some additional air flow. It might not be enough, but should be better than stock. It's all a test.

A 7.6mm increase is a lot, 64.6mm to 72.2mm. I'm going to see what happens with it on and the Steeda tune installed. I still have a stock one, so if it doesn't work well, I'll take it off until I can get it tuned.

It's a trial and error kind of thing. For $100 (since I didn't pay for the spare TB) I couldn't pass it up.
Hopefully it works out :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let me know who does it. I need a good solid tune. Not this hand held junk, I mean its better then nothing am sure we can fet SO much more outta our cars look at the Times on g6performance
I know you came from the GM world, but a guy named Don Lasota is a big SCT Ford tuner. He actually wrote the manual for SCT Dealer software. He's only an hour and a half from me. I have a message in with him to see what he can do.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
We all have our fingers crossed for you and hope it works. Even though its after the maf your tip in off throttle is going to be lean. I would put an air fuel meter on the car and check it to be safe. The computer will compensate once the throttle is open and it can get info from the 02 sensors. The steeda tune should help but I would definitely test it. Running lean on tip in wont hurt the motor but will make it hicup when you mash the go pedal. We all love how fast the throttle works on these cars as it is LOL

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We all have our fingers crossed for you and hope it works. Even though its after the maf your tip in off throttle is going to be lean. I would put an air fuel meter on the car and check it to be safe. The computer will compensate once the throttle is open and it can get info from the 02 sensors. The steeda tune should help but I would definitely test it. Running lean on tip in wont hurt the motor but will make it hicup when you mash the go pedal. We all love how fast the throttle works on these cars as it is LOL

So Don @ Lasota Racing doesn't have my car in his database to do email tunes. So I've decided to purchase the Pro Racer software that will allow me to write my own.

He will help walk me through everything and will tell me what I need to adjust based on datalogs that I send him. I think it's going to be a long road to get a good tune, but I'm sure I'll learn a lot doing it.

I trust Don's credentials and I'll get his manual on tuning just to be on the safe side. I hope it works out well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Subbin' this.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Should have an update this weekend or early next week on how it works on a stock car and on a 93 Steeda tune.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts