FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if there was any way that the is room for a mustang 4.6 engine in the fusion, if so i would love to get some comments pleasr post back

·
Registered
910 Posts
I dunno. They fit a 3.5l v6 in the mkz but 4.6 seems large maybe a 4.0 or something smaller, you don't need a big engine to produce big power

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=fusionfolife link=topic=74178.msg1320426#msg1320426 date=1176079286]
i was wondering if there was any way that the is room for a mustang 4.6 engine in the fusion, if so i would love to get some comments pleasr post back
[/quote]

Hi fusionfolife. :D With enough time and money, you can make almost anything fit. However, this would be such a expensive/difficult modification, on so many levels, and for so many different reasons, that it really would not be a viable option (think chassis/body mods, transmission replacement mods, engine is not layout compatible, exhaust mods, engine management system replacement, etc. etc. etc. etc, the list would be endless).

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Its possible with enough cash and time as stated above. It would take a ton of R&D a pile of one off parts ect. ect. The only thing left "Fusion" would be the body. Everything eles would change. Its possible tho.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just an FYI, the 3.5L in the MKZ is the same size on the exterior as the 3.0l in the fusion. I'm thinking that the 4.6 would be to long to fit in the fusion, and the transmission would definitely be a problem. You best bet would be to start with a 4.6 from a Lincoln Continental. They transversely mounted the engines in those cars with FWD so the transmission wouldn't be so much of a problem. From 95 to 98 they made 260HP and 265ft/lb and in 99 they went to 275hp and 275ft/lb. This is my idea and where I would start if I wanted to venture into what you are thinking about.

·
Registered
613 Posts
On a more serious note, the 4.6 3v might be a realistic, but very detailed swap. I'm not 100% sure yet, but I have found some good information that could make this a reality for those who purely intend to turn their Fusion into a track car(but why!)
By no means will this be a swap for novice tinkerers. But I'll explain how its possible later on, when Im more sure about it. Ive done about 10 swaps in my time using my own cars(3 being engines unavailable on the platform,) and this swap is just downright too expensive and stupid right now. It might make sense more down the road, when more pulls and parts come down in price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
if they can fit a 351 Windsor in a Focus, rwd and all, surely they can put a 4.6 in a Fusion. the 351 swap will run you upwards of 10 grand, however.

·
Registered
702 Posts
They converted to RWD, that's a whole other ballpark from keeping it FWD. I thought the Continental because then you could use the transmission that is already transversely mounted. Just an FYI the 4.6 in the continental is a 4V setup.

On the thought of going RWD with the mustang engine is probably a better idea, just how to get a strong rear end in there will become the problem. This is assuming that you want to go RWD. If you wanted to go FWD then I still say continental. Cadi's done a lot of work with FWD v8s, i'd look at what they'd done for that to get ideas. You can always assume that on engine swaps that the engine mounts will have to be fabed. :rofl: duh

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well, converting to RWD would make everything different and it would be easier for someone with welding skills. But I'm saying that with a 4.6 3v that it might be very possible. Just imagine the hood on that thing LMAO!! But the Fusion does have a lot of room to work with, nothing luxurious as far as compartment space, but its really not as tight as some of the cars that I have seen with similar swaps.

Look out monster miata LMAO!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts