FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No disrespect to Jaysen, but I don't think Ragan's Busch Series Fusion can quite lay claim to being The World's Fastest. Last I checked, it would do around 180 MPH. The real honor goes to the Fusion shown below, which set a new speed record of over 207 MPH at Bonneville in July. And it used a Hydrogen Fuel Cell for power! Even more remarkable is that it clearly has stock sheetmetal with opening doors, real glass, etc, vs. the "one-body-fits-all with decals" that NASCAR serves up these days. It appears the grille and headlamps were filled in, the rear spoiler added, and the car lowered, but otherwise it looks pretty stock! Big kudos to the team from Ford, Roush, Ballard, and Ohio State, plus Ford retiree and driver Rick Byrnes for setting the new Fuel Cell speed record with this Fusion! :D

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It maybe the fastest Fusion with the stock sheet metal, but a NASCAR Nextel/Sprint Cup Fusion easily will do over 207MPH, especially in a straight line... They do slightly over 200MPH with a restrictor plate at Daytona and Talladega.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=95818.msg1884076#msg1884076 date=1196303940]
It maybe the fastest Fusion with the stock sheet metal, but a NASCAR Nextel/Sprint Cup Fusion easily will do over 207MPH, especially in a straight line... They do slightly over 200MPH with a restrictor plate at Daytona and Talladega.
[/quote]

Don't even get me started about that POS that NASCAR calls a Fusion, particularly the COT version! :x The only difference between it, the Chevies, Dodges, and Toyotas, is the decals that get stuck on the nose. NASCAR long ago ceased being about Ford vs. Chevy, and is now all about the drivers, the sponsors, and lining the France family coffers - - everything but the manufacturers. I do not understand why Ford and Chevy continue to pour millions of dollars down that black hole.

I cannot wait for the rumored resurrection of the TransAm series once the new Camaro and Challenger are launched. The idea of stock-bodied Mustangs and Camaros shooting it out on road courses once more has far greater interest to me than anything NASCAR serves up these days!

By the way, I think you are a little optimistic on the speed of the Cup cars. For the Daytona 500 this year, David Gilliland's Fusion sat on the pole with a qualifying speed of 186.320 MPH. Straightaway speeds tend to be around 10 MPH above average speeds, so still probably under 200 MPH. The Cup cars used to be faster, (Bill Elliott qualified at 212.8 at Talladega in his 1987 T'Bird) but have been reigned in by restrictor plates and other changes.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
[quote author=autoxr1 link=topic=95818.msg1886254#msg1886254 date=1196382181]
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=95818.msg1884076#msg1884076 date=1196303940]
[/quote]

Don't even get me started about that POS that NASCAR calls a Fusion, particularly the COT version! :x The only difference between it, the Chevies, Dodges, and Toyotas, is the decals that get stuck on the nose. NASCAR long ago ceased being about Ford vs. Chevy, and is now all about the drivers, the sponsors, and lining the France family coffers - - everything but the manufacturers. I do not understand why Ford and Chevy continue to pour millions of dollars down that black hole.

I cannot wait for the rumored resurrection of the TransAm series once the new Camaro and Challenger are launched. The idea of stock-bodied Mustangs and Camaros shooting it out on road courses once more has far greater interest to me than anything NASCAR serves up these days!

By the way, I think you are a little optimistic on the speed of the Cup cars. For the Daytona 500 this year, David Gilliland's Fusion sat on the pole with a qualifying speed of 186.320 MPH. Straightaway speeds tend to be around 10 MPH above average speeds, so still probably under 200 MPH. The Cup cars used to be faster, (Bill Elliott qualified at 212.8 at Talladega in his 1987 T'Bird) but have been reigned in by restrictor plates and other changes.
[/quote]

Sure they aren't identical, but you know what I mean. A little optimistic on the speeds? No, don't think so... 800HP is going to get you well above 200MPH. Daytona is a restrictor plate race, so you are only seeing half of the HP... Hence, 186MPH or so. At tracks like Atlanta and California, which are not restrictor plate races, you'll see 205MPH entering a corner... Who knows how fast they can go in a straight line.

The old cars weren't faster, in terms of performance. They didn't put out near as much power and they were practically boxes. Today's cars are faster, but you'll never see NASCAR allowing those speeds.

I've been watching NASCAR since I was 5, so I know my stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.