FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes the 6 CD Changer factory deck? I am curious because I really don't want to change to anything else, but I want to upgrade my speakers. If the factory deck sucks so much, then I think I might be throwing money away. I know it's probably one of those "whoever bids the lowest gets the job" kind of things, but I know that with some things, the manufacturer is surprising (i.e. Viewsonic makes some of Dell's stuff, which is actually not bad considering the Dell stuff is much cheaper).

Thanks!

·
Registered
833 Posts
From my understanding, there are a number of companies that make them. That's why so many people have had problems with adding the Aux jack for a DMP. I have a Milan and the PIE unit didn't work in my car because it was a model they hadn't tested it with and the different mfg's was the exp[laination I got. Like you said it is probably bid out to the lowest bidder. You can propably check the model number and have it cross referenced to find out who makes it, or there may be a tag on the back. I know I have seen some on eBay that are made by Pioneer, probably the Audiophile units.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm going to rip out my deck tomorrow when I'm installing my bluetooth kit, so I'll see if there is anything that I can see. As it is right now, the deck CD player doesn't sound half bad to me (then again, my hearing does suck and I know I wouldn't fully appreciate the sound from a Non-OEM deck anyway).

If anyone has ripped out their 6CD changer on an 06 Fusion and cares to share the info they obtained about the manufacturer, please let me know. Honestly I was thinking it was either going to be Delphi (which scares me) or Pioneer (which doesn't), but I know it could also be RoBob's Audio Headunits, Inc!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
No. the 6 disc changer is made by pioneer (made in china; but what isn't??) and is very high quality unit. When doing my stereo I taken it out. I asked the dealer how much was is. He told me dealer cost $350 ($500 MKZ/Zephyr ( more $$ for bigger screen)); retail $499 ($700+ for Zephyr). That is not the nav version. the nav was like $2500-3000 for Zephyr. I measured the power output with voltimeter; it was 10-20W rms; pretty much the same as any aftermarket Headunit I measured including aftermarket pioneer around $200-300.

How I know this?? My firend owns a stereo shop and he decided that the stock is good unit and of way better quality than Delco units. He told me, I wont get better sound quality without spending $400-500 of a high voltage preout/ digital DSP headunit. He also called the dealer to ask for prices.

Summary: 6 disc changer is made by pioneer and has similar power / sound quality as any 200-300 aftermarket headunit.

Save you money and upgrade speakers and may be add a Sub.

·
Registered
359 Posts
remember its not all about power with a head unit too though... EQ controls, AUX output and input, crossovers, and many features that comes on a aftermarket. Thats what should make the desicion for going aftermarket. Aftermarket speakers should always be ran off an amp, especially if your getting components so If you choose to stick with your stock and upgrade your speakers, just make sure you get an amp ;)

Pkoko is right, its a very nice stock that came with the car, but sometimes the aftermarket features are where its at :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was pulling out the deck today with a buddy of mine (who helped me install the bluetooth kit) he told me that he was 100% confident that it was a pioneer unit. He was pretty impressed. He told me that I was basically wasting my money if I got a new head unit and instead told me that I needed good speakers in the door and good speakers in the 6x9 slots (where there is currently nothing).

Next paycheck I'm getting 4 polk 5x7's or 6.5's and 2 polk 6x9's (or BA) and will see how that goes in fixing my problems.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Speakers will go a long way towards improving your sounds. It's just a matter of what level you want to get to and how much money you want to spend. I replaced the door speakers with Kenwood 5x7's in the rear and 5.25's in the front. I then installed JBL 6x9's in the rear deck. I did not do the cutouts since I was mainly looking for more bass from that area. I switched headunits to get more control over the music, particularly the midrange, and to get an aux jack. My next step, if I decide to go ahead, will be to add an amp to the 6x9's and set them up as sub woofers only. If your budget is tight, then by all means start with the speakers and then go from there.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eiching - you didn't do the cutouts? I was concerned that mounting 6x9's back there might cause some distortion without cutting out the carpeting on top - have you noticed any distortion? Also, where did you "bite off the feed" to add the 6x9's? Did you run a new line all the way from the deck?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I haven't noticed any distortion. Either because it's just for bass or my hearing isn't that good. LOL. I didn't do them because I wasn't prepared to at the time and then I just decided to wait and experiment with them later. I will probably remove the rear deck cover to see how it sounds before I cut anything. I pulled the feed from the "B" pillar. The wires in there feed the rear door speakers. Just get the right colors and splice into them before the molenex connector and then run the wires behind/under the trim and behind the back seat.

·
Registered
359 Posts
its a matter of opinion but i did the same thing that eiching1 did, except ran my 6x9s off an amp (lows only), and i did not like the quality at all. I ended up going back to my sub because clarity and over sound imaging was so much better.

I just posted in another post about it, but if your going to put 2ways or whatever ways in your doors, id disconnect the tweeters because your going to have so much highs pointing at you... hence the reason for compenents (seperate everything). I know someone else had that problem

·
Registered
833 Posts
All great advice. I think you need to decide how much money you want to spend and what you want to get out of it. Amp, EQ's, and speakers will go a long way. One thing is for sure, the more power you have and the more ability to adjust and separate your music, the better it will sound. I was on a low budget and was just looking to improve my sounds, which I did. I was not looking for a major bump in the trunk (nothing wrong with it, just not my style). If I had the money to spend it might be different, like I would have bought the V6 also.

·
Registered
359 Posts
exactly... and i hate the bump in the trunk too... :) But I do like to have that little extra low that nothing other than a sub can give. It doesnt rattle my trunk, or inside of the car. Just a little extra and it adds better dynamics.

Im not impressed by anyone spending hundreds or thousands on aftermarket stereos and speakers and subs... and the funny thing is they play their music form an ipod... um yeah mp3 formatt is not lossless. Thats another story.

Infact, I had to take out my sub on a roadtrip upnorth to fit my snowboard. I cranked it up a bit and I was like: "dang, I forgot factory sounded so good. Boy I wonder what some nice pair of upgrade compenents for the front running of an amp would sound like?"

I tried the 6x9s in the back with the factory head and couldnt justify the cost of $300 for the speakers and $150 for the amp when i had a sub from my older car just sitting in my basement. Who knows, maybe the components will be justified rather than the 6x9s... and just enough lows to keep the extra trunk space ;)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, here's my philosophy on this. I will probably end up replacing the speakers in the doors. But, seeing as though I currently HAVE speakers there, I think I'm going to take another approach. I think what I need to do is invest in a really good pair of 3-way 6x9 Polk speakers for the rear (like the Polk MMC690's) and then see how that improves my sound. Since I currently DON'T have any speakers back there at all, I have nothing to lose and EVERYTHING to gain by adding these speakers first.

Circuit City supposedly has Buy One Get One Half off speaker deals on Kicker speakers......but I've never really been a fan of theirs. Anyone around here like Kicker speakers?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hey if you do decide to do that, let me know how it sounds. When i played around a bit with the 6x9s I once installed, the back panal covered the highs and mids so everything sounded real muffeled... i assume your going to cut holes out...?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I'm going to cut holes. And, in another thread I asked if Ford had factory covers for the holes since they install the audiophile systems in the cars (and would therefore have to have some P/N for speaker covers). I later answered my own question when I found a Fusion for sale on Ebay that had the audiophile system and you can clearly see that Ford has some very good looking, VERY CONSERVATIVE speaker covers.

So I call the dealer (<----can you see where I'm going with this? Warning, sarcasm ahead)

THEY tell me that the 6x9 speakers (which don't specify manufacturer, specs, etc.) cost almost 70 bucks EACH (140 for the pair), AND, EVEN THEN it is "somewhat doubtful" (their words) that the speaker covers would come with the speakers. After some well hidden cynicism on my part, and using negativity to my advantage (using my favorite phrase..... "Oh, well if YOU can't find it, then I guess I'm just going to have to call someone else or something like that"....which usually REALLY motivates them to prove me wrong), he finds it!

I have the camel interior, so these are the PN's for the camel, so yours will be different.

6E5Z18978BAB - 21.88 (I believe this is the left side)
6E5Z18978AAB - 21.88 (I believe this is the right side)

Yeah......this is a big "wow" to me - I can't believe I'm going to spend 44.00 on two pieces of molded plastic to replace the ugly-as-sin ones that come on the Polk speakers.

But I am, so oh well. I consider it a donation to the "Way Forward" plan.

Now I wish that Ford stops making stupid mistakes. Notice how I used the word WISH.

·
Registered
221 Posts
why not try one our sponsors who might get those parts at cheaper price.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well.....I've also got people 8)

Speakers will be in the middle of next week. Covers the same. Maybe I'll have this system going by next weekend? I may go without amplification of any kind first and see how it sounds. From what I've read so far, I think I'm going to be making a trip to get an amp or two.

Does anyone good make a 6x100 amp?

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you go to Ford.com and build a new Explorer XLT and add the Audiophile system with subwoofer, it says its a 290 watt system............FYI....

late.........

Cheers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts