FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The benefits of the Steeda TB may not be illusory. Having installed it in my SEL she seems to accelerate
with more authority in the lower RPM range. The unit is well finished and installation is quite straight forward. It is worth consideration although the effect is subtle.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I agree, I installed one in my SEL, AWD last week. (already have a K&N filter). Waiting for tuner to get here to install Steeda CAI.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have installed all of those components and they are very complementary.You will be pleased with your car's performance. Consider grounding the throttle body also!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Why is that? I couldn't stand looking at the cold air intake in it's box anymore, installed it last night. Car's running better than ever, no CEL's, which is good. X-cal 2 is on it's way. I can't see any benefit in installing a tb ground. The engine is already "grounded" Look at the ground strap from engine to firewall. Isn't one of the wires going to the plug a ground, or is it grounded through the housing?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I just installed the throttle body spacer! I got it for $82 shipped and it only took about 3 days to arrive. I knew it was going to be here so I came home instead of staying on campus all day, like I usually do, so I could install it. Installation took about 15 minutes, 10 minutes of which was spent looking for the damn key wrenches lol. Installing it was very easy.

I just took it for a quick spin around the block. When it doesn't downshift, acceleration is better. I didn't floor it from a dig, but I did slowly make a right hand turn and floored it at the apex; my tires squealed like crazy and I think I frightened an elderly man lol.

I will see how well it accelerates on the highway when I go back to class later today. Also, there is a barely audible "whistle", but I didn't drive it long enough to determine when it does it. The engine may be a tiny bit louder as well, I'm not sure.

Right now I'm happy with the purchase. I'll post an update in a week or so!

·
Registered
43 Posts
what is that silver cap over the tube out of the side of the "accordion"? also the whistle might be just a vacuum noise

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It's just a cap I put on when I removed the air silencer.

The whistle I'm referring to is the one I have read about on the Mazda6 forums. I think it only happens when it's about to shift, but as the TBS settles in, it might just go away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where did you get that cap for the silencer? Is the engine alot louder now with the spacer, cap and intake? How about fuel economy, have you noticed a difference for better or worse?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
[quote author=nissandude83 link=topic=85264.msg1859404#msg1859404 date=1195226607]
Where did you get that cap for the silencer? Is the engine alot louder now with the spacer, cap and intake? How about fuel economy, have you noticed a difference for better or worse?
[/quote]

The cap for the air silencer is a generic oil cap (I think) I bought from Murray's for $9; it fits perfectly.

The engine is A LOT louder with the mods I've done. The CAI just makes the stock engine noise a little louder and also adds an air sucking sound. Removing the air silencer makes the engine growl like a V8. Actually, right after I removed the air silencer, I was leaving work and the next day my friend says, "so you got your exhaust installed? it sounds awesome..." :D

I'm very pleased with the throttle body spacer. It makes everything louder and deeper and I can absolutely feel the difference it makes during acceleration. Before I installed the tb spacer, my mpg was always around 22 (21.7-22.2). I reset the mpg and I drove my 30 minute highway commute home from work and got 31mpg (being light on the gas). After a few days of my normal, "spirited" acceleration habits, it has been 23.5ish.

I was a bit skeptical, like a lot of people are, about the tb spacer, but it is an awesome, cheap, easy mod that you can feel and hear.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
So, tell me - is it really just as easy as unbolting the four bolts, sliding the TBS in place and then using the new bolts to screw it back on?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=85264.msg1861330#msg1861330 date=1195316435]
So, tell me - is it really just as easy as unbolting the four bolts, sliding the TBS in place and then using the new bolts to screw it back on?
[/quote] Yes, the only other thing I had to do on mine was turn the + battery cable about 1/8 th of a turn just to make sure it didn't touch a ground.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
[quote author=kevjur link=topic=85264.msg1861345#msg1861345 date=1195317240]
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=85264.msg1861330#msg1861330 date=1195316435]
[/quote] Yes, the only other thing I had to do on mine was turn the + battery cable about 1/8 th of a turn just to make sure it didn't touch a ground.
[/quote]

Yea, pretty much. The clearance with the battery cuts it really close when you're putting it on, but once it's bolted on it's not an issue.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
[quote author=11011101 link=topic=85264.msg1861363#msg1861363 date=1195317765]
[quote author=kevjur link=topic=85264.msg1861345#msg1861345 date=1195317240]
[/quote]

Yea, pretty much. The clearance with the battery cuts it really close when you're putting it on, but once it's bolted on it's not an issue.
[/quote]The red rubber on the battery cable was actually rubbing on mine. I drove the car for the day, then when I got home I re-tightened the throttle body bolts and noticed it. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Looks great but I still find it extremely hard to believe this does anything(other than maybe islightly mprove gas mileage and sound) on newer cars.And no research I do online seems to say otherwise. :?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I didn't really notice anything except it sounds a bit different (not much), but it looks good and for 80 bucks, pretty cheap mod. in a world lacking aftermarket Fusion stuff.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
[quote author=kevjur link=topic=85264.msg1861409#msg1861409 date=1195319120]
I didn't really notice anything except it sounds a bit different (not much), but it looks good and for 80 bucks, pretty cheap mod. in a world lacking aftermarket Fusion stuff.
[/quote]

Did you have any issue fitting it with the Steeda Intake? I dont think I would like the whistling at all.

EDIT: I guess not, just looked at the pics above again.

Someone really should get one of these on a dyno for before and after.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
[quote author=Talisman link=topic=85264.msg1861384#msg1861384 date=1195318394]
Looks great but I still find it extremely hard to believe this does anything(other than maybe islightly mprove gas mileage and sound) on newer cars.And no research I do online seems to say otherwise. :?
[/quote]

You really can feel the different all throughout the rpm range. I remember someone saying that the car accelerates with more "authority", which is a pretty accurate way to describe it.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
[quote author=11011101 link=topic=85264.msg1861617#msg1861617 date=1195329940]
[quote author=Talisman link=topic=85264.msg1861384#msg1861384 date=1195318394]
[/quote]

You really can feel the different all throughout the rpm range. I remember someone saying that the car accelerates with more "authority", which is a pretty accurate way to describe it.
[/quote]

Im not saying you're lying but I definitely believe real dynos more than butt dynos.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
[quote author=Talisman link=topic=85264.msg1861529#msg1861529 date=1195325798]
[quote author=kevjur link=topic=85264.msg1861409#msg1861409 date=1195319120]
[/quote]

Did you have any issue fitting it with the Steeda Intake? I dont think I would like the whistling at all.

EDIT: I guess not, just looked at the pics above again.

Someone really should get one of these on a dyno for before and after.
[/quote]Mine doesn't whistle, I wonder if there's air coming in at the cap, where the silencer was.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
For 80 bucks I almost think the Steeda door sills might be worth the money instead?

Number 2 - I have the Jusnes 93 Perf tune on the car and I can squeal the tires going around the corner as it is right now - do you think any of that improvement is due to the TBS? Have you taken it out on the highway yet?

This item has been on and off of my Steeda Wishlist now about 10,000,000 times.

Kevjur, fusion66, Number 2, do you guys think it's worth it?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts