FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm new to this forum & this problem may have been discussed ad nauseum before, but I can't seem to find it if so. The LED part of the tail lights on my 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium, the ones on the fender NOT the trunk lid, do not light up while i am driving at night. Only that very faint light in the corner is on. HOWEVER, the LEDs do light up just fine when opening & closing the doors, or when remotely locking the car. I've gone to the expense of replacing the entire tail light assembly on both sides but that didn't work. Anybody else have this problem that can offer some advice? Please??

EDIT: BTW, the brake lights and turn signals work just fine on both sides

·
Registered
14 Posts
old italian car trick... remove and clean all the local ground points.....if this does not work take both tailights off. the put the one you are owrking on, and plug it onto the other side.. same plug, then test..might need two people,, one to hold the tailight section

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
old italian car trick... remove and clean all the local ground points.....if this does not work take both tailights off. the put the one you are owrking on, and plug it onto the other side.. same plug, then test..might need two people,, one to hold the tailight section
So, you're saying clean the ground points then try to plug the left taillight into the right side and see if that works? I'll say something to my local mechanic. The guy I have working on this for me switched out the newly purchased taillights for the original ones & had the same problem as the originals, plus he went to a friend's car lot and switched out a taillight from a 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium there and it acted the same way in MY car, but not the car it came from, before or after the switch and switchback.

Do you know if the 2014 Titanium has a light sensor and if a faulty or dirty light sensor could be at fault? Maybe the car can't tell when it's day or night, so it doesn't know when to turn on the taillight section?

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
So, you're saying clean the ground points then try to plug the left taillight into the right side and see if that works? I'll say something to my local mechanic. The guy I have working on this for me switched out the newly purchased taillights for the original ones & had the same problem as the originals, plus he went to a friend's car lot and switched out a taillight from a 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium there and it acted the same way in MY car, but not the car it came from, before or after the switch and switchback.

Do you know if the 2014 Titanium has a light sensor and if a faulty or dirty light sensor could be at fault? Maybe the car can't tell when it's day or night, so it doesn't know when to turn on the taillight section?
Hi smbarr. If I am understanding your description of what is happening, what your mechanic did,etc., then it seems to be a problem in the wiring/circuit of the one side, not a light sensor or individual light housing issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi smbarr. If I am understanding your description of what is happening, what your mechanic did,etc., then it seems to be a problem in the wiring/circuit of the one side, not a light sensor or individual light housing issue.
Unfortunately, it's doing the same thing on both the driver and passenger side. Those lights DO work, just not at night while you're driving. Only when you open and shut the doors, or remotely lock the car. So to me, that indicates the wiring is intact & they're getting juice, just not coming on when they should be coming on.

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
Unfortunately, it's doing the same thing on both the driver and passenger side. Those lights DO work, just not at night while you're driving. Only when you open and shut the doors, or remotely lock the car. So to me, that indicates the wiring is intact & they're getting juice, just not coming on when they should be coming on.
Hi smbarr. Sorry if I misunderstood what you stated. What I thought you said was: Your "local mechanic" took a working taillight from another Fusion, plugged it into your car, and it did not work in your car?

If that is the case, then there is a problem in the circuit of your car, not the taillight.

If that is not the case, then I am lost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi smbarr. Sorry if I misunderstood what you stated. What I thought you said was: Your "local mechanic" took a working taillight from another Fusion, plugged it into your car, and it did not work in your car?

If that is the case, then there is a problem in the circuit of your car, not the taillight.

If that is not the case, then I am lost.
Right, he took a taillight from another Fusion, put it in my car and it didn't work. But the strip of LED light I'm referring to, the outer red strip, lights up when the doors are open or shut, so wouldnt that mean the circuit is complete? However, the same red strip (see image) is supposed to light up while I'm driving.

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
Right, he took a taillight from another Fusion, put it in my car and it didn't work. But the strip of LED light I'm referring to, the outer red strip, lights up when the doors are open or shut, so wouldnt that mean the circuit is complete? However, the same red strip (see image) is supposed to light up while I'm driving.
Hi smbarr. Yes, I understand exactly what is happening. The point I am trying to make is this: If a working taillight from another Fusion was connected in your Fusion and did not work, then the issue is not with the taillight unit itself, it is with a circuit/module/system/BCM etc. in your Fusion, not a problem in your taillight unit.

So you can eliminate the taillight housing itself as a possible problem area.

You asked..."So wouldnt that mean the circuit is complete?" The answer is no, because the circuit is not complete at all the times it should be complete, since it does not light when you are driving. There is an issue in the BCM, a module, relay or some other electrical/electronic area of the system/circuit.
And it is not a problem in your taillight housing, since a taillight housing from another Fusion (which works perfectly fine on the other Fusion) does not work properly on your Fusion. So...it is a problem somewhere in the electrical/electronic "circuit" of your Fusion.

There is no way to accurately diagnose the precise issue blindly over the Internet. However, the scenario you have described points towards it being an issue somewhere in the electrical/electronic system of your Fusion, not the taillight housing itself.

Perhaps one of our tech members will be able to jump in with more help. Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi smbarr. Yes, I understand exactly what is happening. The point I am trying to make is this: If a working taillight from another Fusion was connected in your Fusion and did not work, then the issue is not with the taillight unit itself, it is with a circuit/module/system/BCM etc. in your Fusion, not a problem in your taillight unit.

So you can eliminate the taillight housing itself as a possible problem area.

You asked..."So wouldnt that mean the circuit is complete?" The answer is no, because the circuit is not complete at all the times it should be complete, since it does not light when you are driving. There is an issue in the BCM, a module, relay or some other electrical/electronic area of the system/circuit.
And it is not a problem in your taillight housing, since a taillight housing from another Fusion (which works perfectly fine on the other Fusion) does not work properly on your Fusion. So...it is a problem somewhere in the electrical/electronic "circuit" of your Fusion.

There is no way to accurately diagnose the precise issue blindly over the Internet. However, the scenario you have described points towards it being an issue somewhere in the electrical/electronic system of your Fusion, not the taillight housing itself.

Perhaps one of our tech members will be able to jump in with more help. Keep us updated and good luck.
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2012 SEL 2.5
123 Posts
Most of the time, a damaged BCM will have to be replaced and can’t be repaired. Water, vibration, heat and age can all contribute to a module failing, which, depending on the placement of the unit in your vehicle, can be difficult to avoid.
To keep your new BCM in the best shape possible, make sure it stays clean and dry, and protect it from unwanted shaking or excessive heat if at all possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I'm new to this forum & this problem may have been discussed ad nauseum before, but I can't seem to find it if so. The LED part of the tail lights on my 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium, the ones on the fender NOT the trunk lid, do not light up while i am driving at night. Only that very faint light in the corner is on. HOWEVER, the LEDs do light up just fine when opening & closing the doors, or when remotely locking the car. I've gone to the expense of replacing the entire tail light assembly on both sides but that didn't work. Anybody else have this problem that can offer some advice? Please??

EDIT: BTW, the brake lights and turn signals work just fine on both sides
Think that's by design, prolly doubles the life of the board. Also this is my 1st post soo... 😆

1 - 13 of 13 Posts