FordFusionClub.com banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, I want to purchase these, right now hopefully.
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-Bulbs/Turn-Signal-LED/White-LED/TYPE-2-DUAL-COLOR-CHANGING-p7114832.html
but I was wondering, it says they're 5K, does that mean the same like the 5K temp on my HID headlights? I want them to match since I also just finished ordering 5K fogs. Am I right to assume this or would another temp match better?
Fil10SportAWD mentioned that he, Alex Bougie, and Trainass don't have load resistors and work just fine. Are they still working fine or did you end up getting loads anyway? I'm hoping I can get away with not using load resistors.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
Color temps vary greatly between companies. High end kits are very accurate to the color chart because they spend the money to make them as close as possible. That's just not in the budget for budget kits. So to perfectly match the LED's will be hard. The 5000K is in fact the color of the LED's. As for the resistors, its all a hit or miss game, it all depends on where the individual thresholds set in your SJB are and where the actual resistances of the system are. Some get lucky and some don't, to be completely honest.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I guess I'll have to take a leap of faith on this one. My HIDs are from VVME so they're ok I guess but definitely not the best. I'm going to get the load resistors just in case, 6 OHM 50w correct? We'll see how it turns out. I just don't want there to be a huge huge difference in color between the two.

·
Registered
285 Posts
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=195436.msg4119342#msg4119342 date=1316998466]
Color temps vary greatly between companies. High end kits are very accurate to the color chart because they spend the money to make them as close as possible. That's just not in the budget for budget kits. So to perfectly match the LED's will be hard. The 5000K is in fact the color of the LED's. As for the resistors, its all a hit or miss game, it all depends on where the individual thresholds set in your SJB are and where the actual resistances of the system are. Some get lucky and some don't, to be completely honest.
[/quote]

I was still running without load resistors until one bulb failed. The white light became intermittent. I emailed V-LEDs and they responded the same day. They will be sending an advance replacement and I will then send them back the defective one.
:cheers:
Fil

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
[quote author=Koenig1 link=topic=195436.msg4119357#msg4119357 date=1316999607]
I guess I'll have to take a leap of faith on this one. My HIDs are from VVME so they're ok I guess but definitely not the best. I'm going to get the load resistors just in case, 6 OHM 50w correct? We'll see how it turns out. I just don't want there to be a huge huge difference in color between the two.
[/quote]
Yup that's the correct resistor.

·
Registered
584 Posts
For educational purposes: a 3457 is just a higher-wattage (ie> brighter) 3157 bulb with a high-temperature base. They are interchangeable for the most part.

It is fine to put 3157's in a 3457 socket. As for putting a 3457 bulb in a 3157 socket, there could be a concern if the socket on the car is of poor quality, it may melt and at worst catch fire. That said, a 3457 bulb draws only 2 Watts more than a 3157 on the major lead (think signal light). It is the same Wattage draw on the minor lead (think always-on parking light). The Wattage difference is only visible when the bulb is actually blinking, which by definition (on the front turn-signals) is only temporarily-on making heat a lesser concern. Rears are a different matter because the brake light is on for a much longer period of time, but then again, the rear bulbs in a fusion are 7443's not 3x57's.

In addition, the OEM parts are built to exceed safety standards. And, for the purposes of this thread, an LED bulb draws significantly less power than a filament-based bulb. If you had aftermarket sockets, or a very old car, the socket would be a concern for filament-based bulbs but not LEDs (less heat and Watts). In fact, LED bulbs are usually marketed as 3157/3457/4157 compatible for this reason.

Long story short: It would be perfectly acceptable to use 3457 LEDs if you found them.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My switchbacks are coming in 3 days. Yippee :)

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Switchbacks are :drool: They match my 8k HIDs like a boss. :)

All the exterior lights match, license plate leds, puddle lamps, turns, and HIDs. Just dope. :p

·
Registered
584 Posts
Slightly off topic but I had 2 other ideas for these.

One would have been easier in the "old days", before the damn SJB took over. I was going to use a 3157 socket in the reverse-lamp housing. I could have white for reverse, but blink amber out of the clear-plastic for turn-signals making it a more Euro-look.

The other is for my motorcycle. I see they have red/amber switchbacks. This is perfect for the rear bulbs on a motorcycle as most non-US bikes use amber for the turn signal, there is no rear marker-lights other than the one tail lamp. Harley's have red lights in the turns for markers, because you can blink red in the US for turning but not overseas.

Maybe that will spark some ideas.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Finally part of the group. A little disappointed I received AW's instead of AO's (listing didnt say), but they work:

(5,000k HIDs)

·
Registered
584 Posts
China, if I would venture a guess... :lol:

I had some Paypal balance leftover burning a hole in my virtual pocket, so I picked a set off Ebay. 60 SMD LEDs. Needed load resistors for these, but snatched a set for $6 plus free shipping also from Ebay.

I know, some guys wont buy off Ebay. But I bought my LED Tail lamps from there almost a year ago and was satisfied. Besides, at 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of V-LEDs or AutoLumination, I can afford to replace them two times and still come out ahead, as long as they are bright enough...and they are.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Id try the ebay bulbs out.. The ones from superlumination are prob the same quality, if not possibly lower! :shock: I already had to replace one switchback, without any refund or replacement so far, I mailed the bulb back a few weeks ago, with a puddle lamp that also failed. I havent received either back..nor a response.

I emailed them letting them know of the issue, and that I wanted to mail them the faulty leds and recieve replacements. They didnt respond to my first email. 2-3 days later I forwarded my first email and asked whats the dilio!? I got a response and return address and RMA numbers for the leds to be returned.. paid $4-5 shipping them back, and still have received nothing....3 weeks later! Thats the last ill be going through superlumination. Their web layout is jacked anyhow. :lol: Their customer service has been lackluster. and their bulbs are obvi not the highest quality.. :2cents:

·
Registered
584 Posts
I bought them from this guy:
http://myworld.ebay.com/jaydencar08/

More shots of these:

Action shot: LED blink on drivers's side, OEM on passenger side for brightness difference:

Another angle:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know this thread is dead now, but I've wanted running lights for a while just ordered some the other day. Ill put some pics up when i get them installed on my 1st gen

21 - 40 of 48 Posts