FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am debating buying LED switchbacks for my 2010 fusion sport but i have no idea where to even start (what i need and how to install) I know it would look a lot nicer then the regular bulbs. Any advice????

·
Registered
444 Posts
[quote author=umm_me link=topic=193263.msg4075704#msg4075704 date=1311251756]
60-60 led SMT Stealth Ultimate Switchback Amber/Off 3157
http://autolumination.com/switchback.html

6 OHM 50W 2 BULB LED LOAD EQUALIZER RESISTORS TURN SIGNAL BLINKER FIX
http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning-Fix/Turn-Signal-Fix/6-OHM-50W-2-BULB-LED-p4783296-1-2.html
[/quote]

[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=188275.msg3972933#msg3972933 date=1300979693]
1st off, those look AMAZING!! :drool:

2nd, awesome pm

3rd, awesome opening on the thread

4th, yes the resistors should fix that. I have done a few writeups across the boards in random threads on how I wired them but its in so many threads that its a pain to find and entire writeup consists of one pic so I will post it here as well.

The one end is the turn signal feed, and the other end is the ground. I am not positive if the wiring has changed for the signals between the 06-09 locations to the '10+ locations so if you can I would double check that with a voltmeter or even just a couple of wires and an old turn signal bulb. Just please don't shock the shit outta yourself while doing it. :lol: I have had a few pm's that go like this "I tried what you said and got shocked!! WTF?! Why didn't you tell me I would get shocked for touching both wires at once!" :lmao: And each time I feel bad for the person and a part of me dies inside.
[/quote]

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you! :) im still a bit confused just cause 1: im new to ford and this website and 2: im not an expert when it comes to wires under the hood :( the pic does help though and dont worry, with some of the ways iv hurt to my self, shocked wont be bad at all :chuckles: :chuckles:

·
Registered
444 Posts
The whole process seemed a lot scarier to me too up until I was actually doing it

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
I know back when I changed the Mazda to all LEDs I had to use the resistor to accommodate for the low load. But if one were to keep the rear incandescent bulbs and only use switch backs would there be adequate load to avoid the "hyper" flash?

Or wouldn't it just be better to use one of these?
http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=44120

·
Registered
444 Posts
Logically that seems to make sense to me now. Back when I did this I hardly read anything but saw lots of pretty pictures and was gonna just do it.

Others said they had problems, and i just wanted it to work right the first time... I popped a bulb out to see what the switchback looked like in there and thought it hyperblinked (w/o the resistor at the time) . I kinda question myself now if i was crazy or not :lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i have yet to get into it cause unfortunetly, im still in school so thats doin a number on my $$ :censored: so i have yet to order them bt basiclly, i pop the switchback into the socket and hook up a 6ohm resister?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so the 2 links you posted, those are just plug and play? :shock: cause im guna forsure convert to switch backs but the less shit i gota mess with the better :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
[quote author=josh0915 link=topic=195436.msg4099951#msg4099951 date=1314301170]
so the 2 links you posted, those are just plug and play? :shock: cause im guna forsure convert to switch backs but the less shit i gota mess with the better :)
[/quote]

No they are not plug and play but these LED switchbacks are installed on our cars and so far we do not need to install the 6 ohm resistors.
I know for a fact that on a 2010 Imprezza and 2011 Elantra, the resistors have to be installed.

:cheers:
Fil

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think im just guna wing it. Figure out bulb size (because idk if its 3157 or 3457), buy bulb, and start just goin in and seein how it works.

·
Registered
291 Posts
[quote author=josh0915 link=topic=195436.msg4100669#msg4100669 date=1314388428]
I think im just guna wing it. Figure out bulb size (because idk if its 3157 or 3457), buy bulb, and start just goin in and seein how it works.
[/quote]

3457 3157

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
Sorry I was late in on this one. But any questions let me know. I was the first one to put Switchbacks on Fusions and have a ton of experience with these things. :p

[quote author=The Only MTS link=topic=195436.msg4098462#msg4098462 date=1314126890]
I know back when I changed the Mazda to all LEDs I had to use the resistor to accommodate for the low load. But if one were to keep the rear incandescent bulbs and only use switch backs would there be adequate load to avoid the "hyper" flash?
[/quote]
That worked because of the method the SJB measured the bulbs, since our car has a fully independent system each bulb is measured by itself. So the rear bulbs have no bearing on the fronts what-so-ever.

[quote author=The Only MTS link=topic=195436.msg4098462#msg4098462 date=1314126890]
Or wouldn't it just be better to use one of these?
http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=44120
[/quote]
That would work only if we had a flasher can. As far as I know the SJB takes care of all of the flashing instead of relying on a flasher can.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish i knew more about all this cause i hate asking questions over and over lol i dont wana be that guy. I feel like im over lookin somthing on the install process.... I need a step by step just to c what im lookin at cause everyone is sayn flashers, then resisters, then none ( i feel dumb for askin) but idk much about it all... But hey why not start learnin now

·
Registered
291 Posts
[quote author=josh0915 link=topic=195436.msg4101313#msg4101313 date=1314551891]
I wish i knew more about all this cause i hate asking questions over and over lol i dont wana be that guy. I feel like im over lookin somthing on the install process.... I need a step by step just to c what im lookin at cause everyone is sayn flashers, then resisters, then none ( i feel dumb for askin) but idk much about it all... But hey why not start learnin now
[/quote]
You need (2) 3157 LED switchbacks either AW (amber-white) or AO (amber-off).
You need (2) 6 OHM 50w resistors.

How to install resistors
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Add-Load-Resistor-Fix-For-LED-Signal-Light-a/169.htm

Sorry! I don't know why I wrote 3457 -__-

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
With the SJB the sensors look for the resistance of the bulb to detect either a short or a blown bulb. High resistance is a blown bulb, low resistance is a short. Either fault will throw a bulb out warning, the resistors are not needed on some cars because the threshold resistance is not crossed when installing the LED bulb. But it is very very close to crossing it, so in my case I didn't need them for 2 days then all of a sudden the warning was throwing so I had to put the resistors on. The resistors are not entirely necessary but 9 out of 10 times the resistor is needed. Honestly to me I would think that you should just spend the money on the resistor up front and not have to go with a dead bulb while you are waiting for a resistor set to come. (When the BOW is thrown it cuts all power to the bulb in question until the lights are turned off and then turned back on which it will then most likely cross the threshold resistance again and be cut off again)

As for the install, the post that I wrote up earlier that was quoted was a good start, and the site above is a good pictorial walk through, just be sure to bridge the turn signal feed and the ground and leave the running light feed untouched.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. No worries with the questions, I have gone to college going on 6 years now for this stuff. Needless to say I love it and I love explaining it to anyone willing to listen. :p

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok that makes things sooooo much easier :p i just gota order them and pick up the resisters now!! One more question right off the get go.... U said 3457 bulb, 3157 wont work then? I check a few links above where people said to get the bulbs and every place iv checked doesnt show the 3457 option for purchase.... As soon as i can find a bulb, im buyn!!!!

·
Registered
444 Posts
The 3157 works

1 - 20 of 48 Posts